text book ripoff

by John Doe 13 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I also forgot to mention that I at least get a 50% reimbursement at the end of the semester through work, so it could be worse.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Selling to another law student or back to the store at the end, plus your 50% reimbursement, puts you in great shape at the end.

Yes, I suppose. But I have this crazy book fetish. I hate to sell books. I can hardly bring myself to do it. I've got a lot of notes in them and they're excellent for reviewing periodically. I've slaved for a lot of hours over those books just to sell them for a few dollars.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Well, now you know what a talisman is!

Whenever you feel down on yourself, just look back at those books, and they instantly remind you of your might, strength, perseverance, etc.

There is also the study group 2-3 per book thing. It can work, but only for people with the unique combination of different study schedules that can mesh together to share the books.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I have bought tons of college textbooks online, mostly through Amazon Marketplace..and have sold some back there too. I have only ever had problems with one seller, he was an ass. Amazon not only refunded me my cost of my book, but also the cost of the postage and told me to return it "at my convenience" to the Seller. Everyone else has been great.

As to cost savings, I have saved 50% or more on used copies and 10-20% off new copies including the postage over the cost of buying them at the College bookstore. I go into the bookstore once the edition that will be used that semester has been received (about 3 weeks before class starts), write down all the ISBN numbers then go online and comparison shop...mostly I buy through Amazon... often the difference between NEW and USED-LIKE NEW is no shrink wrap or shelf wear...but the price difference is great.

Twice now I have bough math books that were the Instructors edition..brand new in shrink wrap this last book I just bought..business calculus.... so of course it has not just odd numbered answers, it has even numbered answers..great for checking work (not as thorough as the Solutions Manual of course)...

Religion Is College Bookstores Are a Snare and a Racket... and I noticed that colleges change editions so often because the publishers force it... publishers quit printing the old editions because too many old copies are trading hands on the internet or at college bookstores and bookstores are not buying new ones from the publisher..so the publisher creates a new one, often with very little changes, but enough to stop printing the old one and forcing the adapting of the new one...cant blame the publishers of course...they gotta make money... I just try to bypass it as much as possible.

I only bought 1 book out of 3 classes on campus this coming semester..no one.,..and I mean no one.. had it available for any price online... brand new edition.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit