Have any of you studdied the similaries between Zoraster and Christianity?

by dawg 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Do you mean The Great Transformation?

Yes I've just started reading it. Still in the first chapter, but already a lot of details about Zoroastrianism that have my jaw dropping, as it would seem to be the genesis of later "Abrahaminic" faiths. It's not easy reading, but I'm plodding along.

• dawg
    dawg

Nice to read all your comments...

The more evidence we have about the bible, the more we find reasons to question its divine authorship. The fact that the Essenes practiced Baptism, is very interesting, and that they had an Armageddon, a concept not in the OT, really amazes me.

Seems all modern day Christians are doing just as those in ancient times were, still waiting on the Armageddon gravy train. Its never going to come.

• GMahler
    GMahler

I've always been fascinated with religions of all kinds, even going back to my days as a JW. I remember how excited I was when the book "Mankind's Search for God" was released. I had always hoped that it would one day be used in our congregation book studies, but, for some odd reason, no such announcement was ever made. Or will be, as far as I can tell. (As a side note, I remember that my best friend at the time (who's an elder now) told me that whenever someone out in field service would say to him that they had their own religion, he would say to them, "That's good, because during our meetings we study other religions", and then pull out the "Mankind's Search for God" book as proof of this. Even then I though that such actions were dishonest.) Anyway, even though I'm an atheist now, I am still fascinated with religion and spend a lot of time studying the subject. I've knows of the Zoroastrian faith for several years now, and I've read about it here and there, but nothing in depth. This doesn't seem like a topic that would catch on fire as much as some of the others that are posted on this board, but I would like to cast my vote to see a topic dedicated to it in the near future. I admit that I'm more of a lurker in this forum than a poster, but if Leolaia were to start a thread on it in this fall I would do some research and contribute to the discussion as much as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit