Did you intentionaly make your talks shorter so the meeting would end quick

by IreallydidwalkoutofaKH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Yes I did.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    I spoke of this on another thread, but on Super Bowl Sunday in 1994, the DO went over 20 minutes while including the fact that the "World" was putting their energy in sports and that we should put our's in Jehovah.

And back during Superbowl XIX the ones in charge of the Federal Way, WA congo sliced the public talk down and then only asked questions during the wt. Only one answer was read per paragraph and no scriptures were read. Then they sang and rushed the prayer. Seemed the Superbowl reigned supreme that day! LOL

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

bonnzo:

a c.o. once told me once that if you had the last part and it was 15 min. and everyone else was short and you had 25 min. left, no one complains about going home early, but raise cain about overtime

this was told to me by several COs and at MTS... here is another thing told to me by a CO: "If you have the last part on the Service Meeting, and everyone runs over, you still end the program on time."

This happened to me more than a few times. One time, there literally was one minute remaining in the Service Meeting. If I recall correctly, I had everyone look up a scripture: 1 Corinthians 14:40:

"But let all things take place decently and by arrangement."

I then looked up, paused, and stated: "That concludes our Service Meeting for the evening, lets all stand and sing song number......."

you should have seen the looks on the elders faces (I think I was a snot nosed MS the first time I did it)...but what could they do? NOTHING.

The few times I subbed as WT Conductor on Sunday, I always tried my best to end no later, often sooner than, 11:45 am (instead of the usual scheduled noon)...no matter how long the talk went... I never stretched it out... and I had the congo trained on all of my Q&A parts..when I wanted to move on, the last person I called on for the paragraph/section would be prefaced by: "Sister/Brother So-and-So, final comment." After that, all the hands would go down...heh heh...

I made many friends in the congo that way ..ending the meeting early... (and enemies on the BOE....I never played well in the elders' sandbox....lol)...

Snakes ()

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

snakes.....u woulda been my hero.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It wasn't intentional, but I rarely used all of my alloted time on a talk. In fact back in the days when we were assigned the "Hour Talk," I usually delivered it in 45 minutes. When the instruction talk was 15 minutes, I gave it in 12. Nobody complained. I also didn't care much for those brothers who would ramble on and on in their talks just because they had a few extra minutes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never did that. I had five minute talks, and made sure they were as close to 5 minutes as possible. I know it would have been useless to give a 5 minute talk in 3 minutes if the conductor is going to use the extra time to ramble with the counsel. And 2 minutes is easy to waste during the Circus Meeting.

What I did do was, when reading for the book study, I would read extra smoothly. I was always a quite fluent reader, and would read at a brisk clip. However, the conductor would use the extra time to draw in extra comments instead of allowing the boasting session to be cut short. More often than not, the conductor would simply go into extraneous material (more indoctrination material) to more than eat up the saved time.

I wish they would have done that for the 1998 Great Boasting Session. The whole two days could have been wrapped up in ten seconds. The essence of which was "Jehovah is the happiest Being in the universe. And it's because He makes everyone else miserable." After which I would have wrapped up the thing (no song since they are all crap, and no prayer to a God that makes everyone else miserable). Just an announcement that that's the end of the program, and why make something so simple more complicated.

• wobble
    wobble

In our congo we had that same guy you all had who would use up the spare time so once one MS altered the clock so he finished early.Afterwards Bro "I love my voice" went apeshit but never did find out who fiddled with the clock. Ha Ha Ha !

Love

Wobble

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

I never heard of someone fiddling with the clock, thats a good one!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to put a clock that runs about twice as fast as it should, so it would take only 50 minutes to read 1:45. Then, the time would run out more quickly, and the boasting session would only last half as long.

And, if the hounder-hounder is there, when the time is up, all the lights in the Kingdumb Hell would go out and the sound system would go dead (and that's by the clock that is doctored to run at double speed, not network time). That would force him to end promptly, or he would have a miserable time trying to read the notes and the washtowel.

• kool aid man06
    kool aid man06

When I was living in Florida, the book study conductor once stopped the study 15 minutes ahead of time and then said "I'm sure we can all think of better things to do".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit