No further education - is the policy backfiring?

by eyeslice 22 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

The WTS has always been a personality driven organization (I might add like most all human organizations). The current reigning personality isn't really leadership material versus bully. Don't get me wrong a strong leader has bullying in his arsenal but it is one of many motivators. The current personality has no vision for the future, he only regurgitates the past. Keeping things 'comfortable' for himself, and letting the problems pass on to his successor. He cares not for the future nor the past but just how things are on his watch. A totalitarian dictatorship with submissive followers requires little effort on his part to keep the organization running. Those leaving will be labeled and branded, as not being his fault but everyone elses. The ship will not sink entirely on his watch, so he is fine with the next leader being held accountable for the total submersion.

If Losch is going to stop the sinking during his future reign, looking to the Mormons could be helpful for regaining seaworthiness. Knowing how to overhaul, while quietly distancing from dates and doctrines is crucial.... Of course he might have the agenda to let the tower crumble under their own antiquity.... time will tell. Either outcome is an improvement to the situation now.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

My own observation: In theory, the policy is tightening; in practice, more and more young JWs are attending college. I venture that these two facts may be paradoxically related.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Yeah, Still_74, I HEAR [that's h-e-a-r] that. I hear you loud and clear, here on this board!!!!!

• mustang
    mustang

The secret is in the mind-numbing & dumbing down. It's what they need to keep dissension down.

But what does that buy you? They've never considerd the backside.

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang
    Mormon theology is just as wacked as wt crap, yet they encourage education.

BYU comes to mind.

Mustang

• yknot
    yknot

Many JWs use BYU as a homeschool college!.......BYU is very welcoming to homeschoolers.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    The secret is in the mind-numbing & dumbing down. It's what they need to keep dissension down.

I agree with this statement. They want an organization full of high-school dropout window washers. This keeps them down and needy and unquestioning. All of my relatives that are still JWs fit in this category. Many of them did not graduate from high school. And they work at menial, minimum-wage type jobs. It is sad and tragic.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

still_in74, Bravo! Bravo! It's people like you still on the inside that can do some damage. I applaud your strength to stay in and deal with that bullshit day after day. Peace, out LoB

• amama2six
    amama2six

I think it goes one step further. Yes, they are losing those teens that want to go to college instead of having their lives run by the organization. But what about the ones that don't go to college and stay JWs? They have barely enough income to support themselves and their families, let alone be able to make any significant donation to the WTBTS. If they're in it for the money (which it many times seems they are) it's not exactly smart for them to expect their members to forgo college and take on crap-paying jobs so they can give Jehovah their "best". Of course educating JWs isn't exactly smart either, as then they would most-likely learn the truth about "the truth". I suppose it's a catch-22 for them!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

still in 74, I am with you on that.
    I quit going to meetings sometime ago, and while I don't rule out college for myself, I can't see it happening at my age. But they are falling all over themselves to discourage college; I really think they have jumped the shark by referring to it as a machination of Satan.
    Right now, in my family, we are less than one year away from all of my children having a four year college degree.
    So I am with you: screw you Bethel. Screw you Ted Jarascz.

I really don't care if they think that going to college will result in kids leaving; there are plenty of kids who go to college and still remain witnesses. How poor is the leadership in this godforsaken religion that we can't somehow train our children that they can go to school and still return to the congregation for some reason, even if it's just for a sense of community? It is the sign of failed leadership when they have to borrow on their authority, using a threat of discipline, or worse, death that Armageddon, to discourage children from going to college. It's a mistake to call them leaders anyway. They're nothing more than mid-level managers, yes men who got promoted because they didn't rock the boat. As leaders, they make good paper shufflers.

How many are going in the kingdom all now out of just a sense of duty, or a desire for the social structure? This is not a bad thing, and that's what happens to many other religions after their children go to school and learn that religion is a metaphor, it's a symbol, it isn't real.

I really just wish that witness is worldwide would demand the resignation of the governing body. They absolutely suck at what they're doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit