Elders School Transcript Child Abuse

by silentlambs 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

The following transcript was sent to me anonymously. While I can't verify the source it seems to be in line with the comments of messenger. I have to mention the key point of crime being a personal decision. This certainly flies in the face of respect for superior authorities. Also note the point that there are no sanctions for EITHER decision. Would that include the decision to not report? This appears to be the case. This will certainly continue help the pedophile paradise to prosper within the organization.

Wasn't this the part that Jemimah was going to post? I wonder why his comments presented this to be such a change. There was no change and his comments were misleading.

silentlambs

Kingdom Ministry School for Congregation Elders for the 2002 Service Year

Giving Attention to Needs in Our Field--Part 2; Section 1; Text

So these are the four points:

One: As directed in the July 1, 1989 letter to all bodies of elders, all of you should have that in your congregation files; you should immediately call the Legal Department for direction if you learn of a case of child abuse. Child abuse would include sexual abuse, self-evident physical abuse, and extreme neglect involving a minor. Now highlight, once again, you should call the Legal Department for direction, if you learn of a case of child abuse.

Second: if the alleged victim is now an adult, but was a minor at the time of the abuse, please call the Legal Department. If the alleged victim is now an adult but was a minor at the time of the abuse, please call the Legal Department.

Three: If you become aware of a past case of child abuse, and you are not certain whether the elders involved at the time called the Legal Department for direction, please call the Legal Department for assistance as soon as possible.

Four: Child abuse is a crime. Never -- and we'll emphasize that -- never suggest to anyone that they should not report an allegation of child abuse to the police or other authorities. If asked, make it clear that whether to report the matter to the authorities, is a personal decision for each individual to make, and there are no congregation sanctions for either decision. That is, no elder will criticize or punish anyone who reports such an allegation to the authorities.

So those are the four points that we are asked to follow in our dealings with this aspect of matters. I have not gone beyond anything that is written here, in what you have been told. These are for all elders in the various congregations to keep in mind, and of course we would recommend that you read again the July first, 1989 letter.

• belbab
    belbab

Quote: Four: Child abuse is a crime.

They are saying that child abuse is a crime not as the WTs opinion, but under the laws of the land.

Never -- and we'll emphasize that -- never suggest to anyone that they should not report an allegation of child abuse to the police or other authorities.

The anyone is not limited to the victims or relatives of the victims. It means if one of the elders who hears of the abuse decides to jump ship and mentions that it should be reported, he cannot be advised not to do it. He will not be sanctioned that is, punished for doing it. Not openly punished, but rest assured he will be given a wide berth and quietly be shown out the door with a black mark labelled in the atmosphere about him.

If asked,(otherwise keep mum) make it clear that whether to report the matter to the authorities, is a personal decision for each individual to make, and there are no congregation sanctions for either decision. That is, no elder will criticize or punish anyone who reports such an allegation to the authorities.

They have placed the reporting of child abuse in the same category as joining the military, taking blood, or joining a church. It is a personal decision to do it, and one cannot be openly reprimanded for it, but you will be on the sly.

If an elder keeps quiet about the abuse, there will also be no congregation sanctions for his decision. That is, within the WT he will not be critisized but will receive WT support. But he is still liable for any breach of law that requires his knowledge of child abuse to be reported, and can be charged with hiding child abuse. He is still open to charges of criminal negligence in not reporting the crime.

Yes, nothing has changed, child abusers are still protected if the victims are convinced not to report it. If the elders are in agreement not to report it and none of them have the guts to blow the whistle, the child abuser is still protected within the congregation. Furthermore the WT Society will be legally out of the picture (they hope) and any elders charged will defended under clergy privilege.

I hope my thoughts here are comprehensible.

belbab

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

All in all it sounds like they are SLOWLY taking steps to COVER THEIR COLLECTIVE ASS, not help kids.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Below is a point sent to me from my news list. I believe it is a valid point. What do you think?

"my friend had a child who was suspected of being interfered with(nonjw), the directios she got from social services who were investigating was...do not question the child no matter how much you want to know what went on any questioning of the child could damage the case as it would be hard to distinguish between the childs account and questions that may have contaminated the way the child tells what happens, at no point are elders trained to deal with this and how much can their interference damage any case before it even gets to court especially if they do an inquisition on the child ?
    once again its phone the legal department first, no mention of advise the parents to take it to the proper authorities who are trained to deal with these cases, seeings as the emphasis is phone HQ first before doing anything I would be very interested in what the legal department there advises any elder that phones."

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Any Elders on the board want to hazard a call to the legal department with a made up case?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Above is what they tell elders, in August of this year this is what WT told the public. Do you see any problems with this?

Jehovah's Witnesses abhor all forms of wickedness including child abuse. We do not condone the actions of those who exploit children by this terrible crime and such persons are disfellowshipped (excommunicated) from the congregation. A known child molester does not qualify for appointment as a. church elder or for any other position of responsibility in any congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

If child abuse becomes known to our church elders, they strictly comply with applicable child abuse reporting laws. We also encourage the wrongdoers to do everything they can to set the matter straight with the authorities. Furthermore, we do not prohibit or discourage the victim or the victim's parents from reporting child abuse to the authorities even if the alleged perpetrator is one of Jehovah's Witnesses. If you would like to receive more information on how we report such matters, please contact Mario Moreno, Watchtower Legal Department. (845) 509-0416 or (845) 306-1000.

A primary focus of Jehovah's Witnesses is to elevate me Bible's strong family values in all communities and to help willing ones come to know and serve God acceptably.

Contact: J. R. Brown, Director. Public Affairs Office, telephone: (718) 560-5600

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit