THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CARING ATTITUDES

by SusanHere 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

I'll miss this site more than I can say.

I do want to post what I consider to be a success story, due mainly to the information I've received over the years on this site.

My sister is a long-time JW, a forever Pioneer, etc. She's also poor, uneducated, and suffered a horrific childhood, but that's another story. The JWs made her feel welcome, included, and successful. Hence, her undying devotion to all things JW.

Because of this site, I was able to learn how to talk to her, mainly via letters, in ways that allowed her to drop her defenses and open her heart and mind to the concept that maybe, just maybe, other religions had some good in them, too. It has taken more than 20 years to reach this point. Without this site, the wide and icy gulf would have remained intact at least for many years to come, if not forever.

Thank you for the good that you do.

My sister came to visit just recently. The barriers were down in ways I never would have believed possible. She attended a women's dinner with me at our non-JW church. She attended ALL of our Sunday meetings, including a baptismal service in the evening. She sang ALL the hymns, and prayed along with the rest of us during ALL the prayers, ending with an audible "AMEN" after each one. She read the scriptures along with the class during Sunday School, and participated in all that was said and done.

AND

She partook of the Sacrament.

Our discussions were more open than ever before. She is searching beyond what the JWs have, beyond what they allow, and regretting the way she raised her children, the restrictions and the strictness of the JW childs' lives.

Before coming here she attended the birthday party of her grandchild, with pictures to prove it showing her in party hat and holding balloons as she ate the cake. She also sends birthday and Christmas presents to nonJW family members.

She is feeling like the promises made, of Paradise being just around the corner, were empty since they are still not being fulfilled. She's still waiting, but seems to finally accept that she will never see the big changes in her lifetime.

I don't believe she is alone in these changes of thought and of heart. She's gone back home where she will continue to pretend to believe in everything they say and teach. Maybe she'll even tell herself that she still does. But her actions speak volumes, whether she allows herself to believe it or not. How many others are doing the same, slowly and secretly fading away.

Thank you to all on this site who did what I asked of you, namely, helped me to understand the mindset of the diehard JW Pioneer, so that I could free her mind a little at a time. It has already paid great dividends.

I'll miss you.

SusanHere

Edited to add:

If I've put this in the wrong topic, or if there is a better one where it should be, please move it for me. Thank you!

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

((Susan))

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Unbelievable!!! Success story indeed! Thanks for letting us know.

Love,
    Baba.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Good Job!!

I so love happy endings

Do you think she will be bothered with guilt? Hope not.

lisa

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Wow, that's crazy. Does she know that she could be DF for doing these things? You mentioned she was uneducated, and I was wondering if she was just naive and didn't realize that these things are not allowed.

• mind my own
    mind my own

What a wonderful success story!! So happy that all your hard work finally paid off!

MMO

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Thank you for your kind responses. Yes, it is truly miraculous to me to see these changes in her. It gives hope for the others caught in her same situation. There are probably more of them than any of us realize.

Yes, she does know these things she's doing are totally forbidden. They have come about so gradually, so cautiously, with many layers of excuses to herself for why it's okay to violate their inflexible rules "just this one time". Such as the birthday party. And the presents.

She knows that none of the excuses would hold up should anyone in her congregation ever find out what she's been doing. She's banking on distance protecting her, that nobody will find out.

So this is where it stands for now. I have hopes for more progress in the future, but even if this is as far as it goes, it's amazing and awesome to me and I thank you all for your help. I couldn't have hoped to ever reach her without the information you all shared.

Thank you,

SusanHere

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow!

That is an awesome story!

I wish you continued success with your sister!

• Simon
    Simon

Glad to hear things worked out well for you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit