Georgia Situation getting scarier

by stillajwexelder 23 Replies latest social current

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Ghost Recon: Scenario for Russian-Georgian war of 2008 was written in 2001

Kavkaz Center
    Thursday, Aug 14, 2008

Journalists of Kavkaz Center have found that scenario for Russian-Georgian war in August 2008 was written back in 2001.

It was in 2001 when a computer game Ghost Recon came out. This game of genre FPS, in which US soldiers, together with the Georgian military are fighting the occupation Russian army on the territory of Georgia... in 2008!

A brief description of the game: Ultra-nationalists have seized power in Moscow, with plans to rebuild the Iron Curtain. Their first step is clandestine support of rebel factions in Georgia and the Baltic States. This storyline foreshadows the 2008 South Ossetia War. This is where the Ghosts come in: to silence the rebellion. Armed with some of the most advanced weaponry in the world, the soldiers of the Ghost Recon force are covertly inserted into Eastern Europe and given specific missions to curtail the rebel actions and overthrow their benefactors.

During the first few missions of the game, the Ghosts battle South Ossetian rebel forces from the north of Georgia, who are harassing the legitimate government and its allies.

At the end, the Americans capture the Kremlin

Video trailer can be viewed at this link.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    but an anonymous administration official also said that "Bush was writing a check that he couldn't cash" wrt sending ships into the Black Sea.

Does he know how many carriers the US has? Here is the entire aircraft carrier inventory for the world. US "expeditionary" carriers are bigger than other nations full fledged carriers:

alt

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote:

Russia is getting away with as much as it possibly can. Its actions have been nearly indistinguishable from those designed to completely overrun Georgia and assimilate it.

lol. uh, ok. If I ever get invaded, I hope it's by you!

That said, yeah, they have completely overrun Georgia and are going about destroying it's military infrastructure. How much of said infrastructure they are destroying is unclear.

Georgia ought not to have done what it did.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Georgia ought not to have done what it did.

Well, d'uh.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

CNN use footage of Tskhinvali ruins to cover Georgian report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNblG9PJMk

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Does he know how many carriers the US has? Here is the entire aircraft carrier inventory for the world. US "expeditionary" carriers are bigger than other nations full fledged carriers:

I'm sure like all of us, whoever he is, he could learn much from you, BTS. Would you do me a favor, professor, and cut out the pictures of the American ships that will be pulling up to Georgian ports soon, and put them on a big map of the Black Sea so we have a visual representation of operationg Burn The Ships?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm sure like all of us, whoever he is, he could learn much from you, BTS. Would you do me a favor, professor, and cut out the pictures of the American ships that will be pulling up to Georgian ports soon, and put them on a big map of the Black Sea so we have a visual representation of operationg Burn The Ships?

Backlash!

I am sorry I made you feel stupid.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LINK to a blog with an (?) traveling with Russian irregulars (?) http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=551#551

CAUTION: War Pictures. You can't unlook.

Rough translation to accompany pics:

From start to finish, 10:23 PM CDST, 8/14.

Chief-ed. Added Wed. Aug. 13, 2008, 11:13 pm. Memo heading: War in S. Ossetia: 89 photos, Arkadii Babchenko.

We present Arkadii's reporting from the military zone. Remember that he went from Vladikavkaz went to Dzhava, then to Tskhinvali, he participated as a military correspondent in the storming of Zemo-Nikozi, then went with the "East" (Vostok) battalion towards Gori and when on the way there came back on a chopper with some wounded.

Arkadii's short comments about his four days at the war can be read here: http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

For now we're justing giving the pictures. All of Arkadii's material will be in the September issue of the Almanac "Art of War". For now ask questions in the Almanac forum.

(bold) Please, please when you download any of these from the net, remember not only that these are Arkadii Babchenkos, but that these belong to the Almanack "Art of War" (http://www.navoine.ru ). You'll be doing a good deed, if you let as many people as possible know about our edition for veterans. (/bold)

We think that it's worth putting in all the photos, and decided not to leave any out. Here you'll see the war as it is.

NOTE: There are large numbers of wounded and killed!

(15 megabytes)

Not really more Russian here. The APC has writing painted on it saying it's with "East" (Vostok), and with "Chechnya" scrawled on it a few times.

There's a banner across one street proclaiming it was the "South Ossetian Year of Trans-Dniestria" (for tolerable explanation of Trans-Dniestria, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria --it's another Russian supported break-away region of a former ally that few apart from Russia recognize, but maintain pressure on the former allies and annoy them and complicate their borders.)

http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

It's the hyperlink from the page you posted to, with Arkadii's comments.

-----------------------------------------

Chief-ed. Added Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:05 pm. Subject line: Arkadii Babchenk: War in S. Ossetia.

Arkadii Babchenko's in Vladikavkaz. We're in communication with him. While that holds, we'll lay out his short commentary on events.

*** 10 Aug.--13:00.

He's with a troop battalion of 150 men headed towards Dzhava. The town's flooded with troops and volunteers, about 2500 men. Mostly they're Ossetians, but there are also Russians and Cossacks there. After being given orders at the military enlistment office, they're sent to Dzhava, where they'll be issued weapons. For now, there's the feeling of chaos in it all.

According to Arkadii's words, at the present the 58th army still hasn't entered Tskhinvali. The number of 2000 dead civilians isn't being taken seriously by any of the locals in Vladikavkaz, most talk about 100s.

Georgian air power has figured most prominently in the area of conflict in the last few days, according to witnesses from the war zone.

Rumors are circulating around the town about an Ossetian sniper who brought out of the conflict zone 13 trophies--Georgian ears.

There are rumors that Ramzan Kadyrov sent 300 Chechens into the conflict zone and they're already fighting and scored some kills.

Daniil Bulanov: Added Sun. Aug. 10, 2008. 1:30 pm. Subject line:

Um, yes. (???--Veselukha?), although the facts are always all over the place, esp. in a forum.

http://milkavkaz.net/forum/viewtopic.php (link currently reads: ????, ??????? ?? ?????????, ?? ?????????? = The topic you requested does not exist.)

Aka Bulkozavr

Anna. Added Sun. Aug. 10, 2008 3:05 pm. Subject line:

Good luck, Arkadii!

Chief-ed. Added Sun Aug. 10, 2008. 3:12 pm. Subject line:

There's no longer a link with Arkadii on any channel. We'll try to get in touch with him again this evening.

Chief ed: Added: Sun. Aug. 10, 2008. 8:04 pm. Subject line:

Tskhinvali: 20:58.

Arkadii's reached Tskhinvali. At first with Ossetian volunteers, then with a kamikazi owner-driver in a broken car without a windshield. (Trans. note: owner-driver is usually the word for a driver who picks up passengers as an impromptu, unofficial taxi.)

The whole road is packed with our columns, our equipment. The whole 58th must be on the move. Along with the Grads there are machines that Arkadii doesn't recognize, Iskanders or Point-Us. There's a lot of broken down equipment on the side of the road, equipment that went over the cliff. The non-combat losses are impressive.

In Tskhinvali Arkadii saw the bodies of Georgian tank drivers in the streets. The euphoria of victory is everywhere in the town. Nonetheless, the Georgian artillery continues to fire at the town, you can hear explosions over the line.

Theres' talk in Tskhinvali of about 200 dead Russian soldiers at the present time. The body of one of them lies in the street, covered by some cloth.

The Ossetians are euphorious, they're set and talk about the upcoming troop movement deep into Georgia.

All for now.

Chief-ed. Added: Mon. Aug 11, 2008. 12:01 pm. Subject line:

Tskhinvali. 11 August, 12:45.

There was shelling overnight and fighting in the villages adjacent to Tskhinvali has gone on since morning.

In Tskhinvali itself Arkadii counted about 5 smashed Georgian tanks and 2 of our BTRs (= APC) or BMPs (= armored infantry vehicle)--it was hard to tell from the piles of metal.

The bodies of 20-30 Georgians continue to lay around town and they're beginning to decompose in the heat. They're already burning bodies somewhere.

Ossetians are happy to show pictures of Georgian captives on their cells. Supposedly dozens.

You can see our air force in action south of Tskhinvali, The Georgian mobile anti-aircraft batteries working them over.

Arkadii's hopping onto some armored vehicle and heading to the mopping up now.

End of communication.

SkifAlef. Added Mon Aug. 11, 2008. 4:20 pm. Subject line:

Oh, f...
    What's he gotten into now?
    -----------
    Intuition: The ability of the head to sense with the asshole.

Chief-ed. Added Tues Aug 12, 2008. 8:26 am. Subject line:

Zemo-Nikozi. 12 Aug. 8:30.

They stormed a village last night. It was a f*ck-up.

Right off the bat we lost a tank, and then were stuck in heavy combat. We're not fighting about reservist shepherds. This is worse than Chechen.

We're faced with a powerful professional army, well equipped, with heavy weapons. They're worked us over with SP guns! SP guns? Can you imagine it?

A laser-guidance device was captured. After the master gunner was taken out, it was better.

They have the best communication jamming equipment. There's no communication, or they come onto our frequencies and give us false orderse.

After the storming bogged down, we counted 6 dead and 9 wounded.

They mopped the floor with us.

How the fuck are "we on the outskirts of Tbilisi"???

The Georgian flag flutters over the village. A new attack is about to start.

The link was lost. During the conversation people were groaning and shouting and shouting in the background.

All for now.

Chief-ed. Added Wed. Aug. 13, 2008. Heading line:

13 August. 8:00

Arkadii in the Ministry of Waters. Everything's ok.
    Yesterday's attack ended with us giving up and going around the village. We're on the move to Gori, artillery and air power will deal with the village.

We got to Gori with hardly a problem, just some jeeps with Georgians opened fire on us. A chopper came for the wounded and I decided to bug out on it.

All the spirit's gone out of the war, they've all gone limp. All told, I've had enough, I'm going back.

The chechens are staying put, never ever back down.

Until Moscow.

And that's all. The rest he'll tell himself.

Arkadii Babchenko. Added Wed. Aug 13 2008. 3:17 pm. Subject line:
    I'm back.
    How do I upload photos?

Chief-ed. Added Wed. Aug 13,2008. 3:52 pm. Subject line:

Arkadii Babchenko wrote: I'm back.
    How do I upload photos?

first you upload them to a image host on the net (you don't have an account there, I know), and then you put the links here.

it's simplest for you to send them to me and I'll put them up.
    or you can learn how to do it yourself.

Call me, I'll tell you how.

Egor-Losev. Added: Wed. Aug. 13, 2008. 6:48 pm. Subject line:

Arkadii Babchenko wrote: I'm back.
    How do I upload photos?

Glad you're back safely!

Dave. Added: Thurs. Aug 14, 2008 8:50 am. Subject line:
    Greetings.
    I'm from Tbilisi, somehow I know who's right, who's wrong. I have a question: After the Russian units left Gori a lot of confusion started there. They say that either Chechens or Ossetians are making riot, taking cameras from journalists, raiding to the point that they're carrying off the toilets. Why did the Russian side let this slide? Why did they permit the outrage of ethnic bands or formations?
    Thank you in advance for your response (if there is one):

Ikko. Added: Thurs. Aug. 14, 2008. 9:33 am. Subject line:
    So what do *you* think?
    Russia has no obligation to ensure the safety of Georgian citizens on Georgian territory. It wasn't Russia who started this war. The loser pays.

===========================================
    End of postings.

Notes: Thanks to Multitrans' webpage for a few military and colloquial terms, and an excursion on Yandex (to verify that zvidets was a euphemism for pizdets). One or two places I'm not quite sure about, but you get the gist.
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Great link! Thanks.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Ghost Recon: Scenario for Russian-Georgian war of 2008 was written in 2001

Thanks WAC. That's why it sounds familiar! That was a great game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit