Why Evolution Should Be Taught

by hamilcarr 360 Replies latest jw friends

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

Yknot and JG,

It figures. Instead of actually addressing well intentioned statements which expose your willful ignorance, you respond to someone from Ireland and call them a Yankee...Real swift.

Ignorance isnt bliss forever guys.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Still can't be honest enough to answer the question then? You're squirming.

Squirming?

No, no, no, YOU are the one who is squirming.

I am the person that people like you FEAR, because I won't fall for all of your hocus pocus, no matter how you try to spin it.

Evolution is bullshit, the people that teach it are full of shit, and those that fall for it are WEAK minded sheeple, just like you.

Warlock

Answer the question then.

Get over yourself, once I log out I give you no more thought than my navel fluff.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Still can't be honest enough to answer the question then? You're squirming.

Squirming?

No, no, no, YOU are the one who is squirming.

I am the person that people like you FEAR, because I won't fall for all of your hocus pocus, no matter how you try to spin it.

Evolution is bullshit, the people that teach it are full of shit, and those that fall for it are WEAK minded sheeple, just like you.

Warlock

Answer the question then.

Get over yourself, once I log out I give you no more thought than my navel fluff.

You are just a big phony and YOU know it.

In case you didn't know, I am an EX-JW.

I no longer tolerate BULLSHIT from people like you.

Being peaceable with assholes is done and gone, asshole.

Have a nice life, PRIMATE.

Warlock

• Caedes
    Caedes

Warlock

I take it that means you aren't going to answer the question?

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

Burn

Dawkins, for example, uses evolution as an anti-theist weapon.

Nope. He uses evolution as an anti-literalist theist weapon. He might be able to argue convicingly that such an entity is not 'likely', but his main use of evolution is against those who insist we need god (as frequently invisaged) to engage in wholesale acts of special creation as the evidence is that natural selection is the only thing needed to explain biological life's development and claims of acts of special creation (i.e. species level) are totally without evidence.

Many Atheists use evolution to bludgeon believers. There is a great deal of psychological and cultural overlap here. Please forgive me if I take them at their word.*

Nope. Atheists use it to 'bludgeon' believers who believe things that are contrary to the facts we see round us, just like those naughty naughty 'the world is round' possee used the FACT the world is round to bludgeon those poor ickle 'the Earth if flat' possee.

Please stop making creationists et. al. inability to prove their beliefs to a level whereby they could even be called theory the problem of other people. It is the problem of creationists et. al.. An atheist can no more use evolution to bludgeon a theist who believes god just set the ball rolling than fly to the moon on arse gas.

Your quotes of Dawkins in no way disproves this; read 'The God Dellusion' for more clarity. SJG uses the term 'postulate', which is to say the facts of evolution lead one to the conclusion x.

1) No gods worth having exist; 2) no life after death exists; 3) no ultimate foundation for ethics exists; 4) no ultimate meaning in life exists; and 5) human free will is nonexistent. ~ William Provine

1) Define god to enable an answer to be made to the accuracy of this assertion.
    2) There is no proof of life after death but this does not mean there is no god (see my answer to 1) above).
    3) Ethics are actually quite well rooted in the physical world actually; animals with certain behaviour patterns will have differing survival prospects, so Provine is just wrong here.
    4) Depends on the accuracy of 1) and therefore 2)
    5) Is utter bollocks except on either abstracted philosophical or mechanistic biological terms; in every-day terms we have free will.

But stop with the arguement from authority anyway.

The fact that various people, due in part to evolutionary theory, do not believe in god, does not mean evolution is directly linked to being an atheist or capable of disproving god. This is an incontravertable fact.

NO QUOTE CAN PROVE OTHERWISE.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. But a person with a gun finds it easier to kill people than a person with a knife.

Evolution doesn't make atheists, people become athiests. But a person who knows evolution is more likely to become an atheist than a person who doesn't know evolution.

Many people who believe in evolution also believe in god. The main thing evolution has done is show that the claims of biblical (or other Holy Book) inerrancy and literal truth regading creation are unfounded and that it follows the totalitarian and intolerent belief systems such claims resulted in are false and man made.

And quite frankly, Junction Guy can repeat himself as much as he likes, but there is no more point in discussing the subject with him and his insistance of Biblical inerrancy than with a stone-age tribesman in a loin-cloth who holds the tribes cave paintings are inerrant as regards the Earth being created. Ignorance is not a virtue even when someone seems to be proud of it. All you do JC is limit god's power and create a false idol in your mind, an idol not of god as it may be but an idol composed of wood-pulp smeared with ink and the fairy stories within.

Your claim such rubbish is linked to god is offensive and blasphemous.

And Warlock, from past discussions I know you to be really ill-informed and dogmatic regading your beliefs in evolution. You not believing in evolution is like the above tribesman not believing in nuclear fission. Your arrogance and paranois (I know more than all biologists and they're involved in a godless conspiracy!!) is jaw-dropping. Wipe the spittle of your chin and calm down, you are embaressing yourself. Tell us, oh wise one, what FACTS prove evolution is not true??

But, hey, I don't think there's enough time before the Universe enters heat-death for you to do that, eh?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Nope. He uses evolution as an anti-literalist theist weapon.

You're wrong there. He goes after the Catholics, for example, mockingly calling their acceptance of evolution as a theory coupled with their belief in God as inconsistent. Dawkins is more than proving evolution, he is about destroying faith.

The fact that various people, due in part to evolutionary theory, do not believe in god, does not mean evolution is directly linked to being an atheist or capable of disproving god. This is an incontravertable fact.

NO QUOTE CAN PROVE OTHERWISE.

I do not need to prove a direct link, I merely need to demonstrate a sociological relationship. The quotes I provided evidence this and you yourself recognize it, so why the disagreement?:

Evolution doesn't make atheists, people become athiests. But a person who knows evolution is more likely to become an atheist than a person who doesn't know evolution.

BTS

• Caedes
    Caedes
    But, hey, I don't think there's enough time before the Universe enters heat-death for you to do that, eh?

Cue the sound of our resident bible literalists firing up wikipedia.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Cue the sound of our resident bible literalists firing up wikipedia.

You don't need wikipedia to understand entropy. And heat death is not the only possible outcome.

We're here for a reason.

BTS

• Caedes
    Caedes

BTS,

You don't need wikipedia to understand entropy. And heat death is not the only possible outcome.

We're here for a reason.

I couldn't agree more, text books cover subjects in much more detail, although there isn't much chance of some of the more literal theists, on here, actually using one of those.

When there is a firm scientific theory suggesting otherwise, I might change my mind; if you are suggesting your god has alternative plans then I await your evidence.

Yes, to procreate, it's not much of a job but someone has to do it or the human race is never going to get anywhere.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    When there is a firm scientific theory suggesting otherwise, I might change my mind; if you are suggesting your god has alternative plans then I await your evidence.

Big Crunch instead? Singularity, Omega Point?

You might enjoy this Isaac Asimov short story (it's one of my favorites):

http://www.swiftgear.com/last_question(long).html

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit