Why Evolution Should Be Taught

by hamilcarr 360 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

yknot:

You are going way beyond my remarks.

Was it a joke then, when you asked why Jewish boys were still born with foreskins? Because if you understood anything - anything at all - about Darwinian evolution you would not - could not - ask that question seriously. If what you don't believe in is something that nobody believes in, then your part in this discussion has been a huge waste of time, and your associate degree in biology is not worth the paper its written on. As I wrote above, you don't have to believe it but you do have to know what those who do believe it actually believe.

• yknot
    yknot

Was it a joke then, when you asked why Jewish boys were still born with foreskins? Because if you understood anything - anything at all - about Darwinian evolution you would not - could not - ask that question seriously. If what you don't believe in is something that nobody believes in, then your part in this discussion has been a huge waste of time, and your associate degree in biology is not worth the paper its written on. As I wrote above, you don't have to believe it but you do have to know what those who do believe it actually believe.

I believe the thread is about evolution.....I didn't see where it had to be specifically Darwinism.

What is next, all forms of mental health study has to be Freudian.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

yknot:

I believe the thread is about evolution.....I didn't see where it had to be specifically Darwinism.

Well then, it seems we can at least agree that Lamarckism shouldn't be taught in schools, right? It's a trivial thing to agree on as, to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been taught anywhere for at least a century. What I was concerned about was your statement indicating that because Lamarckism can be easily disproved, macro-evolution doesn't happen at all.

In fact, we know that macro-evolution does happen and the only reason creationists make a distinction between micro- and macro-evolution is because the former can actually be demonstrated right in front of them, making it impossible for all but the most stubbornly moronic fanatics to deny. Macro-evolution is of course only micro-evolution plus time, usually just enough time so that it can't be directly observed. Any form of evolution that is directly observed is labelled by creationists as micro-evolution, while they continue to deny any evolution for which we have only DNA, morphological and fossil evidence.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    I could just as easily point out that if macroevolution was a fact, beyond any reasonable doubt.... then why aren't Jewish boys born without foreskin. The Jews have been circumcising on the 8th day for how many years? Why do I still have to shave/wax my legs, underarms and bikini?.....

What!? You do realize that all evolutionists agree that DNA is the mechansim of inheritable traits? Right?

Changing the physical appearance or mutilation has no impact on the DNA. The only thing this can do is undermine the natrual evolutionary process by removing a difference in survivability (that if boys without foreskins live longer, or procreate better, then foreskins would eventually shrink as they evolve, or vice versa). By removing the foreskin you're not allowing the "survival of the fittest" to prove itself, and you end up with random genes for the foreskin area because the genes have no effect on the actual organism. This means no change.

Now if you DIDNT shave yourself, and males found you repulsive, and nobody else shaved, but the naturally less hairy were more likely to get it on, then you would be less likely to pass on that hairy gene. But once you start altering your appearance, then the selective breeding doesn't happen. Therefore evolution doesn't happen (in that specific attribute).

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

http://www.csama.org/csanews/nws200809.pdf

The above link clearly shows how the extreme Christian Creationist is a far greater threat to society than scientists who feel evolution is the correct explination for the development of life on this planet.

It also shows just how damaging ignorance can be to the intellect.

I don't think there's need to provide any more evidence regarding why evolution should be taught.

And I have no doubt that those who complain about evolution will be deafening in their failure to condemm Christofacist pond scum as exemplified by the above link.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The above link clearly shows how the extreme Christian Creationist is a far greater threat to society than scientists who feel evolution is the correct explination for the development of life on this planet.

Ridiculous! But it is easy to find an extremist link for a small subgroup and tar everyone with the same brush.

There have been (and still are) evolutionist/atheists in the world who want to deny or limit the right to practice religion, for instance in China or North Korea. Stalin famously persecuted religious believers of all kinds.

BTS

• Galileo
    Galileo

The distinction is made and more often then you want to admit.

I could just as easily point out that if macroevolution was a fact, beyond any reasonable doubt.... then why aren't Jewish boys born without foreskin. The Jews have been circumcising on the 8th day for how many years? Why do I still have to shave/wax my legs, underarms and bikini?.....

I love it when Creationists put their ignorance on display. This is a more effective demonstration of the intellectual vaccuum that is the creationist brain trust than any rebuttal by an evolutionist could be. Please, Creationists, continue with your dissertation on evolution. I'll get you started: Why don't we see monkey's giving birth to pine cones or human's birthing dolphins? How about sharing "The Atheists Nightmare"?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfv-Qn1M58I&feature=related

• Warlock
    Warlock

If you and yknot don't want to answer the question then just say so, I think the question is straightforward enough even for you. The fact that either answer undermines your position is not my problem.

There is no threat from astrology because even astrologers aren't so stupid that they think they can undermine science with their ideas, which just serves to highlight the intellectual level of the people who want creationism taught as science.

How does astrology undermine my position that the real myth and fantasy is evolution?

Warlock

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

Warlock,

What undermines your position isnt astrology, its the mountain of evidence supporting biological evolution and natural selection. It is no more myth then the theory of general/special relativity or the theory of gravity.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Great video Galileo! So true - the best way to let them look like idiots is to let them open their mouths, sit back, and enjoy the show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit