Vacuum Leaks: A Deadly Environmental Threat

by Bendrr 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

There are approximately 251 million vehicles on the roads in the United States and approximately 600 million worldwide. Roughly 30% have engine vacuum leaks, some very minor (less than -0.5psi or pounds per square inch) but the average is -1.5psi.

That means that every day the amount of vacuum leaks amount to over -112,950,000psi of vacuum released into the atmosphere in just the United States alone. And -270,000,000psi released worldwide. EVERY DAY! In one year, over -98,000,000,000 pounds of vacuum is released into the atmosphere worldwide.

The number of vehicles on the roads worldwide is predicted to double in only 30 years. We don't have 30 years worth of atmosphere to spare. We have only 10 years. At the current rate of increase of new vehicles on the road every year, in only 10 years the vacuum released will be a deadly -129,000,000,000,000 pounds. To put it simply, our atmosphere will be gone unless we do something right now to stop engine vacuum leaks.

We now face a crisis, not of "peak oil" but of "peak air".

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I shall buy several cans of compressed air, and release them into the atmosphere to be vacuum neutral.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

This new threat to the environment really sucks........

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Save them for inflating your tires. According to the D.O.T., 25% of cars have tires underinflated by an average of 8psi. That's an extra 500,000,000 pounds of air wasted every day were we to follow Obama's advice to properly inflate our tires. That's an increase in our air consumption of over 183,000,000,000 pounds of air every year. This is a problem we cannot inflate our way out of.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

MY GOD IT'S ALL TRUE. THE END IS SO VERY, VERY NEARLY AT HAND !!!!

SAVE US OPRAH WINFREY !!!!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Try smoking for 20 years, and you'll worry far less about it.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Damn, I bought a vacuum cleaner that was suppose to leave clean air with no leaks for over 250 dollars.......are you tellin me it ain't workin?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dam! I bet w bush has been encouraging vacuum leakers.

S

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

very amusing

• zagor
    zagor

LOL, you're guys are funny, ok I'll take this as a joke. Vacuum doesn't leak. When you suck the gas out of say a can what you have is an overpressure on outside that caused extreme pressure toward inside. When you open up the can the higher pressure actually fills the can with gas due to pressure gradient. Not other way around. You can do a small experiment yourself. Take, say, an aluminium petrol canister and put a small amount of water in it. Then heat the bottom of it on fire till you see dense vapour coming out. At that point lock it tight with a plug and leave it on a cool place. What you will witness if few minutes is a crushing power of surrounding air that will try to implode the can due to absence of matter inside. What actually happens as water condenses pressure decreases and you get pressure gradiant, i.e. for all practical purposes you get vacuum inside of the can.

If it were other way around then you'd see a bubbling effect on can due to high pressure but such is not the case.

And to add: actual pressure of entire atmosphere is about the same as pressure of water at the depth of 10 meters. True gas is lighter but it has it's weight and the strongest is at the surface.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit