A Sincere Question to Non-US Citizens

by lost_light06 9 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

With all politics aside

Do you wish you had the freedom of an American (United States) ? Now please, don’t confuse this wanting to BE an American. These are two different things. My question is: comparing the freedom in your country with the freedom in the United States. Which is truly more free? I ask this sincerely. I have only visited two other countries, Canada and the Dominican Republic, one was indiscernible from the U.S. the other a third world country (I’ll let the reader use discernment) As a United States citizen I often wonder if those in other nations have the same freedom as I do. The USA prides itself as being the only truly free nation on the earth, but I wonder…. Is that really so?

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Interesting question: one I hope many will contribute to.

Do you wish you had the freedom of an American (United States) ?

I live in Canada. Do I wish I had the freedom of an American?

I have some pretty damn good freedoms up here, let me tell you.

I can't complain, nor do I envy. I am satisfied completely here.

So I will say 'I do not wish for the freedoms you have'. The ones I have here are phenominal.

But compared to a multitude of nations - I am sure many would wish they had YOUR freedoms.

Good question.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Thank you. I've visited Canada three times and I noticed no difference in our freedoms... Beautiful country. Canada is very similar to the United States as far as I an tell. But I wonder about other so called "free states"... how free are they, how do they compare to the United States. And again, I ask this in all sincerity, I truly want to know.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

erm.. UK is pretty good.

Free healthcare.. too well at the moment

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I understand that. Health care is a big issue right now for us in the states.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Well, it depends on what you call freedom.

I have been in countries, in latinamerica for example, where, if you so desire, you can ride on the bed (I guess that's what it's called) of a pickup truck without the police saying anything. Or you can ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet and the only problem is if you fall and kill yourself, but it's YOUR decision, not the law's.

On the other hand, I have been in europe in countries where you can walk naked on the street and it will not be a huge problem. I mean, it could be that you are admonished not to do it, but you will not be charged anything because there is no law against it. That's one type of freedom. I mean, people can walk on the street with a bottle (no paper bag) of beer and nobody would actually care. Drink on the train, subway, bus, tram, etc. no problem.

The same thing goes in terms of thinking. In most countries, even in the third world, if they are not ruled by a dictator or somebody with dictatorship aspirations, you actually have enough freedom and can think and say almost anything you want. I think the same goes for the US. In some places you actually have so much freedom that it can hurt. Because your neighbors ALSO have the same freedoms. Freedom to have a loud party in front of your house until the next morning when you have to get up early and work.

I mean, what is actually freedom? I think it is an illusion. NO COUNTRY has TOTAL freedom. They may have FREEDOM principles in their constitution but the reality shows a different story. You know, the SECURITY vs. FREEDOM issue is not only an american thing. It's a world thing. But it is something that REALLY affects people's lives and curtails their freedom in several ways.

Anyway, I am of the opinion that true freedom doesn't actually exist. In no country on this world. And it's getting worse!

My 2 cents!

Vivalavida

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

lost_light06:

The USA prides itself as being the only truly free nation on the earth, but I wonder…. Is that really so?

Of course not, but most Americans have never been outside their own country so they would have little or no first-hand experience. Add to that the dreadful quality of education and television in the USA, and it's no wonder its citizens often have such a blinkered view of the rest of the world. In practical terms, the only freedom you seem to have that the rest of the world sensibly eschews - and the one you seem to defend most fiercely - is the freedom to buy and carry guns.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I agree with Razorblade....
    I lived in the U.S. for many many years....but there's no place like home....lol
    I Love Canada....

h40

• yesidid
    yesidid
    The USA prides itself as being the only truly free nation on the earth,

Are you serious?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Australia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest