What does one need to interpret the Bible?

by insearchoftruth 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I have posted some thoughts on this on earlier threads, but the pesky jws have approached my wife about a bible study again, but my wife has let them know that this time she wants to learn how to read the bible and then after she is able to do that, she may consider some of the other books.

I have a couple of concerns about this, firstly, from what I know, the jws consider reading thier literature on a par with reading the bible, in fact I am pretty sure that they will try to lead her back to the Bible Teach book and let her know that she is in essence getting the same 'food' this way as she would another way.

Secondly, if she decides to study the bible, the questions from readers that has recently come out all but prohibiting independent bible study will most likely come into play. Witnessgirl provided a good course on this, let my wife know that we are going to READ the bible, not STUDY, which could be a loophole (but I doubt if she asks a jw about that they would see a difference, but my stubborn wife may), but I think my wife would say she wants to study, not read......

A pesky jw provided her with her copy of the insight books and she also has the reasoning book, but I want her to actually feel she can read the Bible and take from it what the literature presents in itself, not the slant that any organization or person wants her to take from it, even though if she reads the NWT version (or really any version for that matter) there is already a man provided slant.

I have read some wt quotes about the danger of reading the bible on one's own and how it could make one apostate....and I can see given how it reads when not proof texted, it will bring someone there.

Is there scripture that I could site that shows that the bible is not written for an organization to interpret, but is written for each and every person who wants to read it, and that help texts may be of value, but are not always necessary and definitely not required for ones reading of the bible........

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    What does one need to interpret the Bible?

Reading comprehension and a good imagination. theologians and Freddy Franz have spent untold hours and dollars without knowing this simple secret.

Well...now that I think a second...Freddy did have the imagination part down pat.

~Jeff

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Why does it need to be "interpreted"?

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

a good imagination.

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

There literature you know for a fact is based on there docrines! Don't ever expose her to that nonsense!

Iike youve always heard you get what you pay for! If it's free your gonna pay later just ask any of us!

Stay away from the Borg. If you see them coming run or go get you shotgun!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Maybe the post title should have been why is anything but the Bible needed to read the Bible???

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Before reading or even trying to understand the bible I suggest you research the bible itself, it's origin, it's history, how it came to be and who had power over it. If your are going to use an ancient book as a guide in your life I think it would be a good idea to learn about it and not what a religion has to say about it.

• M.J.
  • Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

First what is needed is faith (Heb 11:6)

Second, pray for God's Holy Spirit in faith that He will give it to you (this presumes you are living a Godly life) - ("The New Catholic Encyclopedia acknowledges: "Like their Jewish ancestors, the early Christians valued the reading of the Sacred Books. Following the example of Jesus (Mt 4.4; 5.18; Lk 24.44; Jn 5.39), the Apostles enjoyed a familiarity with the O[ld] T[estament] that supposes prolonged and careful reading and study, and urged this upon their disciples (Rom 15.4; 2 Tim 2:15; 2 Tim 3.15-17)

I suggest reading after praying for His Holy Spirit, first thing in the morning. Read slowly and carefully, paying attention to details. You will, in time, and through repetition, find deeper and deeper truths as you continue studying in this way. You should also find others you can communicate with who are doing likewise so you can compare notes and interpretations. By doing this you will build your faith, as others confirm that the Holy Spirit has led them to the same conclusion.

Also realize that there are different types of Scripture, commands that must be keps, suggestions & principles to guide our thinking and decisions, prophesy that must be interpreted, etc.

Bible study aids, concordances, and versions are freely available online at many sites, including biblegateway.com. Avoid Jehovah's Witnesses and their literature at all costs, they have a very confused understanding of Scripture.

That's a short summary to get you started.

Feel free to PM me if you are serious about this and would like to discuss further.

Cheers,

BA.

• Slappy
    Slappy

You do have one point right, that being that there is a difference (big difference IMO) between reading and studying the Bible. However, that being said, one has to read through the Bible to gain a basic understanding of the image of God portrayed. Once one has that understanding, then one can truly study the Bible. Without knowing and understanding God, it is difficult to keep many things in context. It is this disregard for the character of God that has led many people to mis-interpret, either willfully or ignorantly, the message contained within His Word.

One key that is imperative to keep in mind (again, IMO) is that love (care for others) should guide our actions and therefore our perception when we study God's Word. Many organized religions are fond of legalism guiding lives, with those in power guiding the legal boundaries.

Also, a desire for truth, and not just some "religious" bits and pieces that make us look and feel that we have enough "religion" in our life to satisfy that particular facet of our lives, is needed. I say this because there are portions in the Bible that will condemn actions that you have done, still do, or have yet to do. Many people don't adjust very well to this condemnation of who they are and either look to "edit" what the Bible says so they feel more comfortable with who they are or just disregard the Bible as baseless and therefore is not worthy of their time. Therefore, one's motive for reading and studying the Bible are key to gaining understanding.

There are many translations out there that might make studying the Bible easier, and they should be OK to use, as long as they're not there to support one "religious" view over another (aka. NWT, Book of Mormon, etc...). However, a KJV with Strong's works very well for understanding what was actually meant in the original Greek or Hebrew.

Oh, almost missed the scripture support part. Can't recall any such verse off the top of my head, but there are constant references to such use in the apostles letters to the various churches and that we should stay away from those "false teachers". Also, there is a portion in Deuteronomy somewhere where God states clearly that man is not to add to or subtract from His Word (there is at least one other portion also that says the same thing, but I can't recall the location).

Hope this helps a little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit