Please help me ...

by compound complex 12 Replies latest forum announcements

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

I am away from home and my "theocratic library." Given what is on the JWD news of late, I remember how I dealt
    with people issues when at the KH and with folks in general. Most of us here were JWs. Would you kindly give me
    the reference to what is paraphrased below:

When being cursed he (Jesus) gave a blessing, when being insulted he did not threaten,
    but continued committing himself to the one who judges righteously.

Besides my wishing to be reminded where to find this in the Bible, may I ask the following:

Even if you are no longer a practicing Christian or a believer in any sense of the word,
    did applying the above ever work for you?

I'm sorry that I'll be away until tonight and unable to thank you for your help.

Love and thanks, especially to those who are suffering right now.

CoCo

• yknot
    yknot

(1Peter2:23) 23 When he was being reviled, he did not go reviling in return. When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to the one who judges righteously.

Even if you are no longer a practicing Christian or a believer in any sense of the word,

Yes, I just figure somebody is having a bad day, or when I was younger I took any form of hardship (and there was many) as a test from Satan.

I try to be slow to anger.....but of course I am not perfect.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Coco...

Without any explanation, I have to say Thank You...

• mouthy
    mouthy

When being cursed he (Jesus) gave a blessing, when being insulted he did not threaten,
    but continued committing himself to the one who judges righteously

I cannot find that particular verse but Romans 12: 14 gives info on how we should act when being persecuted...!!!! Sorry

& did it ever come in handy obeying that rule.????? Yes! it did. My hubby used to give me a bashing over my being a JW,,,but when he was dying he told the Victoria Order nurse he KNEW I was a Christian because of how I did not retaliate. Of course I WASNT a CHRISTIAN!!!!but because I was obey the organization & taking a bashing for the Organization it looked like I was ....but it was the wrong god I was taking it for .

• mouthy
    mouthy

yknot Thanks I wished I had read your answer before I spent time looking ..Thanks alot.. Disregard my answer it is WRONG!!!!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Entering a snippet of the text into Google returns the scripture reference in about a nano-second. Methinks Coco knows this..........?

Anyway, I agree with *summer.* Thank you.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Reminds me of a similar saying I try to keep in mind, "Restraint is a better companion than regret". If I had practiced it more I would have less regrets today. Live and learn.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Yes BizzyBee...

CoCo is very bright. If he knew the quote by heart, why did he need the bible reference in the first place?:-)

Speaking only for myself...I was losing my cool this morning, and he brought me back on my path.

He is a beautiful soul~

• *summer*
    *summer*

And Gregor...

I recall saying terrible things to you in the past.

And I made my peace with you. And you were very good and understanding about it. I will never forget...

Yes...live and learn~

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Hm, you know I think it was reading of 'A New Earth' as of lately that connects with that scripture and even though it repeats itself over and over again, I do like the idea of our thoughts not being us, and that our reactions not being us as well. I think with me, it's not really restraining myself, its remembering that people are not the entirety of what they say and do. I get angry (and boy was I angry/annoyed yesterday along with everybody else) but in the end, I thnk its important to remember that in the end that people are basically good and do not mean the harm they you probably think they do; that sometimes they just do not understand or yes, are having a bad day.

And remembering to not let negativity spread and poison you because only negativity can come from negativity and that no one wants to be negative; but to do that we also have to at times give up the position of being *right* in order to escape negativity and pain and learn to work with those whom we share the planet with.

...And that is my flippy-hippy moment for the day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit