Has Anyone On This Board Ever Had a Near Death Experience?

by Rapunzel 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I climbed a walnut tree alone. fell 20 feet.

had the wind knocked out, could not breathe for what seemed like a lifetime. finally when shaked it off felt like my life returned

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Aniron - The glistening humor of your irony has come shining through.

I attended a few conventions during my time as a Witness; and, as I have desribed, I have had a caridac arrest. I can't say that attending the conventions afforded me the opportunity to experience anything remotely approaching a N.D.E. But then again, neither did the heart attack.

I would not wish a heart attack on my worst enemy. They intubate you and connect you to a respirator. Then they strap tie both hands to the sides of your bed to immobilize you so that you don't rip out the tube that's stuck deep down your throat, into your lungs. You can't speak because of that tube. And you have no say in the matter. You have no choice.

The positioning of the tube itself is very uncomfortable because your mouth is propped open wide so that the tube abd mouthpiece fit in and secure. The worst thing about the tube is how your body reacts to it. Your body "interprets" the tube as a "foreign" object, which is exactly what it is. Once the tube is put in, your body will begin to produce massive amounts of sputem or mucous. Sputem is an excellent cleansing tool. Unfortunately, what your body does not realize is that it will never be able to produce enough sputem to rinse the tube out, but the body keeps trying and trying.

The problem is that the sputem clogs the tube which is bringing oxygen to your lungs, heart, and brain. When the sputem begins to block the air flow, the nurses use a power vacuum device to suction out the sputem. When they employ this device, the "patient'" body will look like a fish thrown on dry land; it will jolt, heave, and spasm because not only does the device remove the sputem from the tube, it also temporarilly removes air from the lungs.

IIn my opinion, I would have been far better off dead. I was intubated for about five days, and I required vacuum suction every few hours or so. Death is better.

• chickpea
    chickpea

in my early 20s i nearly drowned during a scuba certification dive....

what i recall after intense struggles to reach shore was a shift from
    that fear to an overwhelming sense of calm and peace about what i
    believed at the time was my last moments alive.... i clearly recall thinking
    "so this is what it is like to drown"

no bright lights, no beckoning apparitions, no real sense of
    my life flashing before my eyes, just pervasive calm

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I have had a couple of near death experiences....

alas, all were on the earthy plane and I was too busy surviving to notice the tunnel...much less the light.

~Jeff

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I would recommend another one of his books "Where God lives". It gives the scientific and also the religious side of NDE's. Good read, I liked it a lot. Sometimes I wish it was true, the way he describes NDE's are especially when a person is near death. I lost my sister almost two years ago and I really wish he felt the peace he and all the people who study NDE's say people near the end of their lives feel.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Dawna - It seems that some members of your family are, what would be called in Taiwan, "ghost spotters." Tawanese believe very much in ghosts, and they also believe that certain people possess the ability to see ghosts. And from what I was told, not all ghosts are happy when they realize that they are being perceived by a living person.

In your post, you seem to say that there is an afterlife that is available to some people. Do you think that it is only for a select goup, and not everyone? Perhaps that is why I experienced nothing at all. Perhaps some people are intended to enter an after-world, while others enter into eternal consciouslessness - oblivion.

Dawna, if you can find the time, I woul like to read about your experiences. I would also like to know other's views on N.D.E.'s Are they essentially totally subjective phenomena that occur wholly within the brain of the person? Are they the result of bio-chemical releases within the brain, the triggering of neuronal responses and discharges? In this respect, do they share at least something in common with ordinary dreams? Of course, the two phenomena - NDE's and dreams - are quite different. But could it be that they share something - some connection [no matter how tenuous - in common?

My bigger question is: With the obvious exception of physical entities and objects, how much of our personal reality is limited solely to the limits of our own brains/minds? For example, we all know that people's dreams are different. Some are primarily aural, while most are visual. Some poeple claim the ability to control the flow of their dreams. Could it be due to neuro-chemical diffeences alone, that some people experience NDE's while other people experience nothing. Why did I experience nothing? Is it that my brain simply is not "wired" that way?

• JK666
    JK666

I guess I had one.

I was in a head-on collison in 1981, and was hurt pretty badly, bleeding both internally and externally. I remember a calm and piece coming over me, even though I was a mess after the accident. I had one hell of a time catching my breath after impact, but then after that everything was like slow motion. I felt warm (could have been the blood), and was almost trippin' (shock). I remember when the paramedics were trying to cut me out of the car, I helped them with the sunroof even though they told me not to move.

They put me on a backboard, which hurt like hell. I do not remember the ambulence ride to the hospital, but it took some time. I just wanted to go to sleep, I was so at peace.

No great white light, but I wouldn't have minded checking out at that point. I was happy. It happened on the way to the Book Study, and I thought that me and the "Big J" were covered. The pain of healing, getting all sewn up, and rehab took care of the good feelings though!

Don't know about an afterlife, and right now I really don't care. I was in critical condition for about a week, and had enough stitches to make a suit. My internal organs finally stopped bleeding, and I did not require blood to live, but it probably would have helped, thank Whatever.

And I am still here 27 years later. Only the good die young.

JK

P.S. My knees are still screwed up, any Orthopedic surgeon want to cut me a break?

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

i had many of them during wartime but that isn't what you are looking for. The concept is interesting though and should give many food for thought and something to really wrap their head around or over as the case maybe.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A poster on this board had a NDE at the age of 12.

I'm not sure if the person shares the experience with many people.

It is awesome.

No wonder the JW cult from hell denies they take place.

The elders had this 12 year-old unbaptized publisher in the library threatening to DF if the publisher told anyone about it.

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

I got married once in Phoenix; does that count???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit