The Cry of "Peace and Security"

by B_Deserter 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I remember as a kid President Bush (the first one) was on TV and he was talking about the international day of peace or something like that. Then he said the phrase "peace and security." My dad got excited. "That's the call! This is it!" Of course it wasn't the call, and it wasn't the sign that armageddon was upon us, but nothing makes JWs more excited than to hear phrases like this from politicians. The only thing is just about every president mentions something to that effect, yet, every time, JWs are convinced (for a few minutes anyway) that it's the heralding of Armageddon.

• Mandette
    Mandette

I know I already posted this somewhere.....

but in 1987 I was at a DC sitting with my best friend. They announced it from the podium. Trish and I looked at each other and said "well it's been nice knowing you". We thought were toast! We were 18 yrs old and thought we were going to be dead real soon. Horrid feeling.

Mandette

• heathen
    heathen

I think the time to take that seriously would be in '86 , when the UN declared the year of peace , the scripture does say ,in the days that the nations proclaim peace and security , not just the US . I think GW just liked messing with everybody's head over stuff like that as he did mention the beast in yet another speech , referring to the US current military movements and actually reigning in the beast for this "kinder gentler nation", idea . The politicians actually hope to convince us that they are actually doing things in an attempt to make the world a safer and more peaceful place , why if GW jr. didn't invade Iraq we would all be toast from their very threatening nuclear program ......... gag.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I remember this too. I was living in Sacramento and many of the Witlesses were all excited. The words peace and security in that speech were included in what was hoped for if the NWO was to come to full fruition. Not that he was making an announcement that we had it.

• Texman55
    Texman55

aw no man, you were way behind the times. It was 1974, when NIXON made a speech that used the words "peace and security".....that was the big signal.....perfect timing, too, because of course we all knew 1975 was gonna be THE year!!!

I remember vividly watching and hearing that speech at an elder's house.....now why we were watching a presidential speech escapes my memory.....but I remember when I heard those words, I felt like I'd been punched in the gut, bang! Everybody felt the same, it was talked about as a sure sign the great trib was just about to start.......lol

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

heh heh, heh heh, you said great "trib" heh heh heh heh

• knock knock
    knock knock

Go back a bit further...

Oct. 22, 1962
    JFK speech re: Cuban Missile Crisis

"This urgent transformation of Cuba into an important strategic base-by the presence of these large, long-range, and clearly offensive weapons of sudden mass destruction constitutes an explicit threat to the peace and security of all the Americas, in flagrant and deliberate defiance of the Rio Pact of 1947,..."

I'm sure witnesses at that time felt that same punched in the gut feeling Texman recalled. Conditioning guaranteed to bring on anxiety attacks to any witness not fully convinced they're "doing enough".

• steve2
    steve2

Every generation produces either a leader, president, prime minister or a nonpolitical statesman or stateswoman who heralds an impending era of "peace and security". And in every generation when this happens, the JWs start frothing at their mouths in delirious anticipation that this means the end is sooooooooooooo verrrrrrry nearrrrrrrr. Spooky.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

My grandma was ALWAYS looking for these "signs", now she's in her early 70's, I'm wondering what she's looking for now? She was one of the ones that retired with NO MONEY, so my dad is taking care of her needs. I hope before she passes that she understands that it was all a big hoax to make money for a publishing company.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It is amazing that the WT interpretation succeeded to make a "special event," or "sign," out of this expression, whereas the point of the text is precisely that Christ's coming is not announced by anything noteworthy and comes "out of the blue," as it were:

Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters, you do not need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. When they say, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and there will be no escape! But you, beloved, are not in darkness, for that day to surprise you like a thief; for you are all children of light and children of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness.

A similar view of Christ's coming occurring in an unremarkable time, without any premonitory warning (i.e. anytime), is found in the Synoptic Gospels, e.g. Luke 17:26ff:

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man. They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them. Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed all of them --it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.

Saying (not even crying!) "peace and security" is just as much of a "sign" as "eating and drinking, marrying, buying and selling, planting and building"... that is, no sign at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit