Marriage Is Just a Business

by Preston 24 Replies latest social relationships

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip
    Who was that runaway chick? the one with the googly eyes.... she never had to compensate her husband for standing him up.

.. but did he even try? I will admit that this will set a very disturbing precedent. I mean what will the statute say, 1 week before the wedding? 2? a month?

• Preston
    Preston
    Still, his actions showed that he was going to take care of her. He probably made that verbal promise, too. It's the same with marriages. If the man tells the women he'll take care of her and they divorce, he might be stuck with long, short, or lump sum alimony. Same for women. I see it every day.

But they were never married. - Preston

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Still, his actions showed that he was going to take care of her

Ima confused. Do woman want equality or not?

Will you marry me? Chaaaching!!! goodbye stressful, full time, high paying job. Waaaaa! he bailed on me!!

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I know. I was just saying it's the same argument as a marriage "contract". A "contract" was made and broken. I agree that it does sorta illegitimize the concept of engagement, but I don't think the ruling was wrong.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Ima confused. Do woman want equality or not?

Will you marry me? Chaaaching!!! goodbye stressful, full time, high paying job. Waaaaa! he bailed on me!!

I would hope had the roles been reversed, the same ruling would have been made. I see men get alimony.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I see men get alimony.

Marriage FS, marriage.

Marriage is a partnership of shared wealth and responsibility. If someone bails on that, they need to payup.

This is not that.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Who says engagement can't be held to the same or similar standards? Not this judge. Often the same investments are made. Example: quitting very well paying job, moving cross country with the verbal promise that you will be taken care of after having been taken care of. Sounds close to, if not an actual, breach of contract to me. What if she had also spent a ton of money on the wedding?

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

Yep it is just a business! Cause when things go bad it comes down to assets!

He should counter sue for the gifts, trips, dinners, loans.....ect. It's always funny when it comes down to money how petty women can be. Logically think on how much he spent on her during their courtship.

You always read about women backing out of an engagement and keeping the ring! Hummmm

Sounds to me like a bitter person who can't let go.

• Preston
    Preston
    I know. I was just saying it's the same argument as a marriage "contract". A "contract" was made and broken. I agree that it does sorta illegitimize the concept of engagement, but I don't think the ruling was wrong.

I think it depends on the laws of GA where the couple were to reside in. I am no expert in matrimony law, but I think in some places a verbal contract can be just as binding as a written one. The problem is it places an unecessary burden on unmarried couples in relationships since a breakup could have the same legal ramifications as a divorce. That being said I think she was in it for the money and the guy was an idiot for paying off her credit card debt. - Preston

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Maybe I should start suing all the women who dumped me. It would be like winning a lottery.

W

LOL I'm with ya on that one! Can I sue my ex, then? She promised to never, ever leave and always be there for me and our baby!!!! I want justice, damn it! (Back child support would be nice, too!) <------insert sarcasm here.... That, my friends, will never happen. If a man took a woman to court with that same story, the judge would have laughed his ass off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit