Expert Musicial Equipment Guy Needed~ I need advice!

by FiveShadows 7 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Okay, here's the deal: I need someone who is very well educated in the field of microphones and PA systems and musical equipment. I am completely confused and need to be able to speak to someone about what i'm hearing out of all these other bands playing and be able to answer why they sound bad, besides what they actually think is a 'song.' It's not just the song that sucks, It's almost as if there's a lacking of a clean, crisp clarity. I'm thinking about getting a Shure SM58 microphone or maybe a Shure Beta 57A ...i don't know. I was wondering if someone could perhaps help me understand some things I need behind these things. The sound that i'm hearing on all these practice rooms is a almost like a muffled sound. I'm not sure what equipment professional musicans use in order to have that...really nice...clear without echo ....SHARP sound that is produced through the microphones (live of course). Not that muffled 'mmmm' (not a humming) ...i don't know...this would be better over the phone to talk about but..anyway: What equipment wound be best suited for the clear/ clean/fresh/sharp sound so I may be able to purchase it. I understand that this could cost thousands, so ...please people clarify what is going on and help lift my confusion. I'll be able to speak on the phone or exchange emails so I can understand.

~FS

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

~FS

Most musicians and bands that dont have at least a years experience play too loud.

Many ameteurs try to play louder over everyone else. So what you have is noise.

For music to sound good it is just as important for a musician to know when to play as not to play.

A 3 piece band will be easier to mix than a 4 or 5 piece. You have less competiton for air space.

Mixing in a practice room will be very different than mixing for a bar or small club.

The vocals have to be on top and for them to be on top and crisp and clear everything else has to be low.

In a practice room maybe 2 out of 10. I never turn any of my equipment higher than 5 out of 10 even in a large outdoor venue. Thats 2 out of 10 for the guitars and bass and the drummer plays with rice sticks unless he is good and has finess and dynamics.

Out doors you route all the instruments to the pa and have the pa man adjust them from various spots in the venue.

A good drumer is very important to find in your search of a crisp sound.

A good drumer is not a beater he plays with finess and brings dynamics to the sound. The sound should have lows and highs and builds it most often shouldnt plod steady all the way through for that you can get a drum machine.

In the bands I have played in over the years whenever we have brought a new inexperienced drummer in playing out 2 nights a week on the weekends in clubs it usually takes a drummer about a year to get it together and play with finess and stop beating and causing a wall of noise.

An experienced drummer is someone who has been playing in clubs for 10 years not someone who has been playing drums at home for 30.

So everyone has to know how to play softly so they can know when to play loud.

If your main concern is practice rooms keep the volume down. It's hard to do and bands break up over it.

When your mixing sound in a bigger venue 100 person bar the band uses their amps on the stage as their personal monitor and the sound man takes the send in the pa out to the crowd and mixes the band together. If the musician is using his amp to hear plus has a mix of himself coming back in the monitor most likely that is too much sound, noise on stage and the singer will have to scream to hear himself.

So playing live on stage the sound level should be low. Many pros will not play with people that have the sound loud on stage if they have to yell and cant hear themselves and everyone else they move on.

If the band your working with wears ear plugs that is a bad sign. If you think about wearing ear plugs in a band that is a bad sign. Ear plugs are a sign of noise. Noise is not good.

The best sounding bands that I have played with do one of 2 things. 1 the drummer has electronic durms so he is not making a lot of noise on the stage.

Or 2 the drummer sits behind plexiglass and has his drums miked and has a monitor feed from the rest of the band.

This is for small clubs 100 people or less.

Larger clubs that regularly have music usually have a pa system and a sound man.

Everybody can play a guitar. Very few can play it for money and make it sound good. Usually the pros in a comunity hang together.

Many people are going to practice rooms to vent anger and frustration and get away from their ladies.

The way to find the pros is you offer to practice 1 time if there is a promise of a gig. If they dont have a gig that week or next week someone needs to go back to the woodshed and practice. And someone is wasting somebodies time.

I screen on the phone before I waste more time than a phone call. I also screen in the way I write an add offering my services. I always advertise for a working band.

I'm talking if you want to make money playing music. If you want to do originals thats another story. But I think I would still advertise for a working band because a working band can throw originals together 1,2,3.

What equipement? I have a Carvin 8 channel 1000 watt amp. The mixing board is in the amp. I can show up 1 hour before a show and have it up and running in 30 minutes.

Some people I work with have independent mixing boards and crown amplipiers that works too.

But I can throw mine up quicker and it sound just as good and I find it more compact and portable.

In fact I carry a Carvin and I carry a Yamah 1000 watt 2 dual 500 watt amps as a back up.

I have 4 Yamaha speakers, they are heavy duty and their heavy. I use Peavy pr12 for monitors I set 4 of them up for the band.

EVerybody in the bands I play with has their own mike, mike stand and cable. So when we show up everyone set their own stuff up and we are up and running in 30 minutes.

This works for the average bar in Tampa bay. Anything larger than 100 people has their own pa and sound man.

For new equipment if your buying the mikes and cables it could be 3 to 4,ooo.

I wouldnt recommend buying your way into a band by providing the pa unless you want to be a pa man.

The bands that I see that make money provide their own pa.

If you want to provide sound once a month for some guys dreaming to be rock stars you might get 200 to 300 a night here in Tampa. Thats not a good return on your 4,000.

And if you want to be a sound man. You might want to spen 6 to 8 thousand so you could handle any venue.

The sound men I know and have dealt with run practice studios, that way they meet many bands and have connections and they just take the equipment that they already have in the studio to the gig.

Good luck. If your a sound man your mantra will be TURN IT DOWN!

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, what jaguarbass sed.

Volume is key. The more level you have onstage/in practise, the more "bleed" you will with mics picking up more of the stage sound. When multiple mics pickup the same source, what happens in the mix is called comb filtering which degrades the overall sound. In a live performance, this is somewhat unavoidable to some degree but it can be minimized with level control and key placement of the sources ie amps, monitors etc.

As for mics, the SM58 or beta series you mentioned are excellent choices. Great response, good feedback rejection and bulletproof. Industry standard choices for live vocals.

One thing we've tried with some success is setting up the guitar amps as a sidefill, where they are placed not behind you but on the side facing in. Depending on the lineup of players, it gives the stage players a better mix and minimizes amp bleed in the vocal mics. This gives the soundtech a "cleaner" sound in the room as the amps don't add as much to the main mix. It also assumes the amps are mic'd and wouldn't be the best setup if not (a small club where the amps provide the room mix as well for example)

On the mix side of things, it's a bit of a given, but the monitor mix must be separate from the mains with each vocalist having their own discrete monitor and mix, ideally. Each monitor should have it's own graphic eq (31 band or 1/3 octave type ideally) for feedback control and sound "shaping". If you provide PA, ensure you have a mixer that has pre-fader Aux Sends and use each send as a monitor mix (pre fader meaning that the level being sent to the monitor is independant of the channel fader for the main mix). One send for each monitor mix is standard, but you can have more than one mic feeding that mix and more than one monitor onstage. It all depends on the players and config you have/want.

As for speaker brands, buy EAW if you're rich, Yamaha if not. There are other types but they all have a certain sound "color" and audio quality is mostly subjective. Rent before you buy.

As for mixers, eqs and other toys, it all depends on you budget and the rig you want. Powered mixer with built in eq and fx or discrete components in a rack, etc.

Hope this helps. If you want to really get technical, buy the Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Yamaha. Everything you ever wanted to know about sound,....lol

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

FiveShadows,

Jaguar has given you some very good tips. Another one is to make sure that where you play has a decent sound engineer. They are worth their weight in gold as they can tune your sound to the environment. Often, even a loud and crude band can be tailored to make sense of a limited environment and the quality of the equipment (mikes etc) while important is not the most important factor. You can mike up with the best of rigs but if not engineered properly, the sound will be of a very low grade.

Most amateur bands rely on their own ears to tune a venue and that is fatal. Glen Ballou wrote a significant book on the subject and it is worth a read. If I recall correctly it is titled, 'Sound Engineers Handbook'. By the time you finish you will be in a position to know where and how to go with the sound of your band. Amateur drummers and bass players are often the biggest problem in a band as in many cases they want to sound as loud as they can at the expense of the music that they are playing! This is where the sound engineer pads the kick-drum with the drummers clothes and tells the bass guitarist to shut up and hold the tune else he will do something painful with the jack.

HS

• Twitch
    Twitch
    tells the bass guitarist to shut up and hold the tune else he will do something painful with the jack.

HS

never heard that; it's usually the guitarists who get the gears for volume,...

Twitch (of the just-the-backup bass playing club)

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Holy crap dude, that's awesome! ..okay, lots of info...very much appreciated! i'm starting a band, We're short a bassist right now. The drummer has had experience playing in clubs, but i don't know to what extent. I am the vocalist actually. The place I practice has it's own PA system. We're already planning on purchasing our own PA system. Which is why i wanted to know, should I stick with SM58 or move on ...to Neuman? The information you gave me is awesome and will definately will be referred back to from time to time. We're not trying to make money, actually, to the contray we just want to make music and see what we come up with. So far we're doing some covers..such as Pearl jam's "Black" and also aiming for other stuff. We have ideas for three songs already without vocals right now. We're not trying to make it big or anything. This is just a hobbie in addition to our separate careers.

Thanks!

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Thank you everyone! ...i will defiantely look back at this page over and over again for more info when time needed. I think there's wayyy too much to take down at once. Thank you very much!

Fs

• Twitch
    Twitch

Hey

Some more notes from a fellow hobbyist musician

Neuman makes great mics but they're expensive and usually designed for studio use. Stick with the SM58 for all purpose live sound for vocals. Great bang for the buck.

As Jaguarbass said, most larger venues will have their own PA and soundtech, so you will only need to provide your own "backline" or performance gear (amps, etc). You may have the option to book the house soundtech or book your own, which HS advised and is very good advice. Aside from relieving you the musician from having to worry about sound, a good tech will know the theory and good practices involved in getting a good mix and will be familiar with different types of equipment and setup etc. Invaluable actually.

In smaller venues that don't have their own PA, you may be on your own. In this case, book a soundtech that has or will rent equipment suitable for the site and will setup and mix. Worth the money. There's nothing worse than fighting against bad sound when trying to play.

So with all that in mind, if you're looking for practise gear, typically you'll only need reinforcement for vocals only and possibly keyboards. Depending on the lineup of musicians and your budget, you can likely get away with a powered mixer and up to four floor monitors, depending on the specs. Such units usually have a built in graphic eq which may not have enough bands of eq; consider an outboard 1/3 octave eq for "ringing out" feedback (this is not easy to do so have someone do it for you; it takes practise to hear what frequencies are feeding back) As HS said, the pros typically don't rely on ears alone to ring out or eq a room and use a pink noise generator and spectrum analyzer but this is beyond the scope of the practise room.

I won't get too involved with the technical here but aside from placement, the most important part of setting up mics is setting up proper levels. When everything is connected and placed where you want it, soundcheck each mic at the level you will be using it. Set the mixer faders to 0dB and use the channel trim knob so that the main output meters peak at around 0dB (the odd peak over 0 is usually alright as long as you don't redline the meters constantly). This ensures the channel preamp amplifies the mic enough so that the mixer operates within it's best "range" and the mixer will feed all outboard gear and the amps a strong, clean signal. Too low a signal and you will have noise. Too high and you will peak out/distort the signal and possibly damage your gear.

One very important technical note; ensure that all PA equipment is all on the same AC circuit (the simplest solution). This includes mixer, eq, amp, fx, etc and shouldn't be a problem for most smaller practice systems. The reason for this is that by having all connected gear on the same AC circuit, you will not have a ground loop problem which manifests itself as a loud hum. The reason you usually get hum is because you can different items that are connected together and are plugged into different AC circuits. If the circuits have different ground points or different voltage potentials, there is an imbalance in the power and the result is hum. This issue is the bane of audio & video and is a bit of a black art in complex systems but in a practice situation, it can easily be avoided.

Anyways, PM me for my email addy if you have questions or problems. I'm a hobbyist musician/recording engineer but I've worked in the professional audio/visual staging industry for a long time.

Good luck and have fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit