The Dark Knight

by XJW4EVR 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

There may be spoilers on this thread, so if you haven't seen it yet, don't read any further.

First, I enjoyed the movie. I think that the reboot of Batman was the best thing that could have been done to the franchise. I love the fact that the last two films are dark, and that the Batman literally skates the thin line between justice and criminality. This is one of the reasons why I liked Batman over ll the other DC superheroes (that combined with the fact that Batman had no superpowers).

However, I am puzzled as to why this movie is doing so well. There was nothing in the movie that struck me as original. Even Heth Ledger's performance as Joker was not as showstopping as some other movie villians (though it was the best acting performance I have seen so far this year). Maybe this is proof that I am getting jaded in my old age? I don't know.

One of the other reasons that I did not like the movie that much was the unresolved manner in which the film left the Joker. I seem to recall that this was due to Ledger's untimely death, but I could be wrong.

Maybe some of you that saw this movie, can help me make sense of this, then again maybe not. However as it stands now, I do not think The Dark Knight was all it was cracked up to be.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

if heath hadn't died ... it would not have done as good ... but then again, his performance was phenomenal

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I honestly thought it was the best of the batman movies. Heath was outstanding and stole the show. I think this is partially to do with its success but then there are a lot of Batman fans out there, even the camper ones in the 90's were very successful. It was a long film but i loved every minute of it and the ending, while a little 'open' summed up Batmans entire life-quandry as to whether he should be doing what he is doing. The question and doubt he portrays a lot in the film defines him very much as a 'human' and without special powers, as you pointed out.

• yknot
    yknot

Here is a spoiler....PM me if you want an address to a streaming video of that movie.....

Jack Cowboy Kelly finally gets a career!......I am still sadden about Ledger

IT IS A GREAT MOVIE!....but too dark for some kiddies

• kazar
    kazar

I saw the movie and I was somewhat disappointed. It was action-packed from beginning to end but I liked Jack Nicholson and Michael McKean's performances better.

• John Doe
    John Doe

This was by far the best batman movie ever. The earlier ones aren't even worth renting.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Great movie- but not for kids!

• Preston
    Preston

"The Dark Knight' is the anti-typical hollywood hero/villain film. Probably the best one of its kind.

If you liked Superman, Spiderman, Iron man, or even the original Batman then... this movie flies in the face of all preconcieved plot devices regarding the genre. Thank God the filmmakers chose a different road by crafting a unique film.

No overacting, no people born out of meteors, no scientific substances causing people to have super-human powers.

The Batman and the Joker are... real people, just with names to hide their identities along with the masks that they use. Their main talents for creating change in the world are intelligence, technology, and a philosophical outlook. They do not have this unbelievable mythology to make the characters seem greater than they actually are. As evidence of this, the filmmakers were wise to spend no time whatsoever discussing the Joker's history.

Were you expecting Jack Nicholson using an absurd-looking pistol to destroy the batmobile?

I'd rather my Batman drive a hummer.

- Preston

• John Doe
    John Doe

No overacting, no people born out of meteors, no scientific substances causing people to have super-human powers.

The Batman and the Joker are... real people, just with names to hide their identities along with the masks that they use. Their main talents for creating change in the world are intelligence, technology, and a philosophical outlook. They do not have this unbelievable mythology to make the characters seem greater than they actually are. As evidence of this, the filmmakers were wise to spend no time whatsoever discussing the Joker's history.

I'll admit that they had no superpowers in the traditional sense of the word, but you must admit that batman grabbing a guy and hooking a jet airliner and flying away out of a building are not realistic.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Joker was the perfect balance of humor and psychotic behavior. The movie begins and you like him, and it as it goes on he gets crazier and crazier, and you still like him. It's an interesting perspective, the audience sympathizes with joker and likes him, yet at the same time he's stark raving mad and crazy.

I think this is the first movie I've seen that really deals with the issue of having a villian that is really an anarchist, that destroys just for fun and can not be bought out, intimidated, or defeated short of death. The psychological scenarios he plays out are intriguing and quite scary to think about.

The scene where the prisoner threw the detonator out of the window was a little over the top, but I think it was a very interesting commentary on our society and how appearances are not always accurate. I might just have to go and see this movie again. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit