Does anyone remember the big 6 month Bible study push during the mid 1990s?

by neverendingjourney 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

I can add my voice to the pre-75 push....I think they hoped that the heightened expectation of the witnesses would snowball over to the general public resulting in an ever increasing "witness" to all the nations bringing on armageddon.So it`s nothing new.

smiddy

• justhuman
    justhuman

I recall that since I was pioneer during the mid 90's. 6 months was more than ok for a person to take a stand along the truth. I don't know what they are doing now, but it seems the end is kind of late...

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

yup I remember that - 6 months with the knowledge book - it even came out in the foreign language I was grappling with. In English it was tough going but the society translated it into the classical version of the foreign language so neither my BS nor me ever got any where with it. We'd cover 1 paragraph with difficulty then have a cup of tea and leave it at that.

But the book itself was more interesting than other publications.

ql

• Joker10
    Joker10

After the Knowledge book came out, there was a considerable drop in the number of Bible studies.

There are two reasons for this:

The Knowledge book is shorter in length than the Live Forever. After 6 months the book was done. 1 chapter a week.

Bible studies were to discontinue after the Knowledge. No other book to be studied (no more of the old United in Worship book).

Later the Governing Body 'understood' this program was not really working. Slowly the number of Bible studies increased when they put a stop to the 6-month study arrangement and introduced the Require brochure as a bible study starter. Longer studies meant more baptisms. With the new and thicker Bible Teach book replacing the Knowledge book, and now studying the new Worship book after it, Bible studies have increased signinficantly and so has baptisms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit