Apostasy "seeing oneself as a victim denied"

by whereami 16 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

Good job, Void Eater! You should submit this to Nathan at his blog.

StAnn

• milligal
    milligal

A) this doesn't take into account those who were raised inside the religion and had no choice but to join

B) there is not a fair description of what an apostate is; is it someone who has left the religion and joined another (or maybe none) or is an apostate as described one who deposes the teachings and leadership of the religion?

This is not a fair assessment because it is poorly written and leaves some major issues unclarified.

• Regehr
    Regehr

Uhh...isn't this guy going to get counseled for his use of the internet?

Quick, somebody phone his elders!

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

This Nathan Unger is obviously someone who trys very hard to sound legitimate and uses language to make him seem intelligent and worth listening to. I couldn't tolerate the first couple sentences, so have no idea what other things he went on to say. I just saved myself some wasted time.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

The rewrite was excellent.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Good One @ Void Eater. I wish this Nathan guy wouldn't turn a simple idea into "War and Peace".

I was able to put his fat essay on a diet. Here's the slimmer version:

Jehovah's Witnesses unorthodox beliefs piss some people off. Some JW's cling to their belief in spite of this, whereas others begin to question their beliefs.

Some become apostate, and feel they must rationalize their apostasy - even using the Bible to back up their action. Others rationalize their apostasy using scary "atrocity stories", which I don't believe and many so-called expert cult defenders don't believe either.

Such people are disobeying Jehovah himself, and those rebels don't seem to care. They are even egged on by other dissenters.

Their numbers are growing, and this irritates me.

- Nathan Unger

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Gopher I must concur with your summation.

Nathans essay reminds me of a scripture in Ecclesiastes 10:14 "And the foolish one speaks many words."

He should remember K.I.S.S. (keep it short simple)

the stone sentinel,
    StoneWall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit