I need advice on the DC

by thebigdebate 15 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

You are not responsible for your mother's mental state or her 'happiness'. If she goes into her very timely state of depression maybe you could suggest a good psychiatrist or hospital for her. If you allow her to emotionally blackmail you today what will be next on her list?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

You are not responsible for your mother's depression. Don't let her or your father manipulate you. You are an adult. If you no longer believe the crap that JWs teach then why would you want to go to a DC? Don't live a lie. Stand your ground. Be true to who you are. Your parents will just have to accept it. There is nothing they can do unless you allow them to.

• blondie
    blondie

The only way to win is not to play the game.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

About the depression trick--I bet that is fake. Typically they will use that to manipulate you into going, and make you feel bad if you do not. I would not go--because the next step is getting depressed if you are not spending all your time at all the boasting sessions and out in field circus.

• yknot
    yknot

Check your inbox.....all three days of MP3s should be there...

Write off some notes...about some key points....say you were late to the DC and sat by yourself.....Notes prove you heard the message!

• ID Crisis
    ID Crisis

Ours was a few weeks ago and it was my first time with my two children (previously I attended the 3-day conventions on my own). I seriously cannot recall much and took about 4 pages of notes - in a small booklet. I spent most of my time rationing food and supervising quiet activities (colouring, drawing, colouring, drawing ...) for the children, as 'expected'. My non-witness husband joined us on Sunday and he was really just a third 'dependent'- with the added 'bonus' of providing a running critical commentry (sp?) about every talk (just about every point, really). The DC lost him totally when the speaker giving the public talk mentioned that this organisation was the only one approved by God's spirit. I too was lost on that point. Anyway, getting back to your post, that very first reply by Jamie got the gist of it: you don't have to go. And you don't have to justify, scheme, or pretend or be nasty about it. Just don't go if you don't want to. End of story. PS: on Sunday my 8-year-old very loudly declared to his father "It's boring at first, Dad, but you get used to it".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit