Question on Headship

by insearchoftruth 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am not fully in tune with how the WTS defines headship and applies it to the members.

How does it apply to an unbelieving mate when the UBM is the husband and the female is the jw?

• blondie
    blondie

Officially, the jw wife is to "obey" except where the husband asks her to do something against the bible WTS. JW wives end up being able to go to Christmas parties, weddings in churches, and vote just because hubby says so.

But I have known of elders who interfered in the marriage of a female juw and male non-jw.

• yknot
    yknot

Oh my situation......!!!!

I am in the south and husbandly headship reigns supreme.....but Elders around the world are citing "spiritual endangerment" for divorces!

Here is what the OD book says:

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will page 207

1. In God's arrangement of things, who is the head of the married woman?

You wives, be in subjection to your husbands, as it is becoming in the Lord.....Col 3:8

Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, because a husband is head of his wife as Christ also is head of the congregation, he being a savior of this body.....Eph 5:22, 23

2. How should a husband exercise headship over his wife?

Husbands ought to be loving their wives as their own bodies. He who oves his wife loves himself, for no man ever hated his own flesh; but he feeds and cherishes it, as the Christ also does the congregation......Eph 5:28,29

You husbands, keep onliving your wives and do not be bitterly angry with them......Col 3:19

3 Is the wife whose husband in no a believer freed from his headship?

You wives, be in subjection to your own husbands, in order that, if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of their wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together with deep respect....1 Pet 3:1,2

4. Who is primarily responsible before God for the training & discipling of children?

Fathers, do not be irritating our children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline & mental-regulating of Jehovah...Eph 6:4

See I get to be 'inactive', go to a 'church' and they have little say in the matter.....besides in the south if you usurp the husband headship what is stopping a person to starting thinking of usurping the "slaves' headship?

• amama2six
    amama2six

Something that I've always found interesting about the "headship" thing and how far JWs take it.
    In their Bible we read THIS:

Genesis 3:16 - To the woman he said: “I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.”

So this "man dominating women" is a bad thing...a result of the original sin...and yet it's an encouraged practice? Eve ate some fruit thousands of years ago so now I have to shut up and let my husband make all the important decisions while I put a smile on my face and be happy about it?

Yeah, no thanks.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

My wife is a very independent minded gal with respect to the role of women in society, and I agree with her thoughts, I can not see how she would even be the slightest bit interested in any organization that has such a twisted view on headship.....

What amazes me is how she draws the line when one talks about women in the role of church leadership.

For all of her independent thoughts and views, I can not see how she gets lead down the wt path

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I totally believe the man should be believe he is in charge.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I have a head attached to my neck and shoulders and it came with a brain that works just fine. I don't need my husband making decisions for me!

nj

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Or a Brooklyn based organzation as well!!

• M.J.
    M.J.

Same as in the Worldwide Church of God of old...The husband could request the wife to cook him pork or make a Christmas dinner, etc., and the wife was obliged to obey. But as for taking part in what the husband was doing, even at his request (i.e., eating the pork herself) it was against God's law and thus the "higher law" superseded the headship rule so she wouldn't do it. If the husband forbade the wife from attending church services or the annual 7 day feast, the wife would obey the "higher commandment" and go anyway.

It's the very same teaching in the JWs.

• M.J.
    M.J.

ISOT, you might try printing this out

http://www.freeminds.org/women/womenchurch.htm

I couldn't find any references to JWs or to the WT...but double check.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit