What Draws Out The Lurker/Newbies

by Not Feeling It 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

I'm sure this has been discussed. I was wondering what attracts a lurker/n00b to post for the first time. I made my first post in someone else's thread eschewing the "Hi, I'm new" thing.

For anyone, particularly the lurkers/noobies:

What prompted you to post? Something you read here? Something in your life?

Just curious. For me, it was said post about status in the org. I faded starting almost 10 years ago. I still keep in touch with friends and family still in. I've told some about how I feel without too much negative repercussion.

--Not Feeling It

• Priest73
    Priest73

doughnuts.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

I would have guessed cookies.

Priest, my new goal in life is to hang out on this site more than you so I can beat you to first posts with my extra-crispy sarcasm. Unfortunately it would have been vanity most base to have posted my topic and followed it with my own snarky comment.

• Priest73
    Priest73

well I'm glad you've set lofty goals for yourself.... =-)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I signed up for membership on JWD about a month before my first post, which was to thank Mary for her Watchtower study.

• Mandette
    Mandette

For me it was being able to talk to so many others that feel the same way....In my situation my family is still immersed heavily in it so it's awesome to be able to express myself freely.

And it's almost like a therapy. I've yet to find any therapists that truly understand. Only those that have been in "that religion" can totally understand.

And it was a relief to really know that it's not some defect in me that made me leave. That's how a lot of them view it. I had one (who was on her way to bond her son out of JAIL) tell me that when "I get myself straightened out" that I'd be back. I looked at her and said I don't see where I'm screwed up. I'm NOT in jail, I have a (gasp) college education and a mortgage and live a pretty decent life. She really backtracked then.

Mandette

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

For me personally, I had been lurking for a long time...I have a lot of good friends who I love, in the "truth", and my awesome wife who I also love very much. Even though I love these ones, I don't feel free to talk to anyone yet about my feelings concerning the org. I felt the pressure of not being able to voice frustrations...so I took the plunge. I would imagine there are hundreds of thousands out there who feel the same, many probably don't know about this site...unfortunately.

• jgnat
    jgnat

1. Rainy days.

2. Warnings from the platform. (What IS behind door number three?)

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am in pretty much the same boat as treadsecu, my wife has been exposed to the WTS for almost 23 or 24 years, but has never taken the baptismal plunge. We have been married for just about three years now and this is her second curiousity spell with a possible BS, but this time she told the sister she does not want to study WT pubs, just the bible.

Well I guess I got off track there, I tend to come back on when my wife seems to get interested again!! I need her to get her degree finished and get a full time job!!!

• kitsune
    kitsune

To get comfortable on the board I post here and there. I lurk a lot more than I post. I haven't yet done the "hi, here's my story" thread yet, but the more I post, the more comfortable I will get to eventually share my story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit