J.W.'s Should "Hall" (Haul) Themselves Into 21rst Century

by Rapunzel 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Reading another thread about how the Organization is NOT particularly successful in its effort to preach the gospel and news of kingdom, especially in developing and politically/culturally isolated nations and regions, it ocurred to me that the winessess are essentially using methods which are far outdated and very ineffective or non-productive.

So I was wondering if they could help further their own cause by going "high tech."

I wonder: How much does a satellite cost? Is the cost laughably prohibitive for them? Or, could they afford to buy one, or two, if they wanted to buy one? I wonder about this. Who has the right to put up a satellite into space? Can private organizations and companies do so? Or do only national governments have the right? Is there some international group or agency which oversees the launching of satellites into space? I know that satellites operate at different levels of orbit, and at different distances from Earth. Does approval to launch one depend on the level at which the satellite orbits the Earth?

I also know that even if a particular group does not have own satellite, they can sometimes use the services of an already-existing one. If the Witnesses wanted to, could they come to such an agreement with a government to use a satellite?

Do you think that the Witnesses have the technical savvy to "launch" such a project? Could they hire and pay people who do have the know-how?

When considering the problem of reaching people in developping or isolated nations, there is still the problem of reception or receiving the satellite's signals. Supposing the Witnesses could launch a satellite, that would solve only the transmission aspect. There is still the question of reception.

However, as we know, while the price of gas is sky-rocketing, the prices of computers and other electronics continue to lower and lower. I wonder: In the future, will it be theoretically possible to produce and sell a basic, "bare-bones" personal computer/satellitereceiver for 100$ For 50$? For less than 10$?

I have also read about so-called "micro-loans" extended to people [usually, but not always, women] so that they can start their own little business. These "micro-loans" are often less than a thousand U.S. dollars. And often, these loans furnish great "returns" on the invested money.

What if the Organization extended such ''micro-loans" to people? Think of the benefits that they could reap, not only financially, but in terms of good will. If these micro-loans are successful, [and there is every reason to believe so], think of the benefits the Society could reap. They would greatly enhance and enrich the lives of many people in many communities. These small "micro-businesses" could eventually grow into major companies. What are now world-wide, mega-conglomates in Japan and Korea [such as Honda and Samsung] started off literally as one-garage affarirs run by one or two people.

Of course, this cannot and will be the case for every little business launched by a "micro-loan" provided by the Society. Still the potential benefits/profits for the Witness society are enormous, staggering. If the Witness organization extended "micro-loans" to people living in developing countries, they could get an enormous investment on their return.

There is a very interesting book whose title is something like Branding. It describes the phenomenon whereby organizations such as churches, universities, and museums "market themselves." They make an analogy from toothpaste. In all truth, basically all toothpaste is the same. TAll doed essentially the same thing. The whole trick is in branding. A company must set its own toothpaste apart in the mindsofconsumers, because in the lab, toothpaste is toothpaste, is toothpaste [the same is true for virtually any other "product," which includes religion].

To a certain degree, Witnesses already do set themselves apart. The only problems is that they usually do in a negative way. For example, in regard to blood transfusions, the Witness leaders might ask themselves if adopting a viewpoint that may have been acceptable 150 years ago [or 2000 years ago] might be inappropriate in our day and age.

And that's just one example.

I think that there is one thing for sure. In order to thrive [or even survive], the Witnesses will have to "hall" [haul] themselves into the twenty-first century. I know that it sounds cynical and crass [becuase it is], but the truth is that there are a lot religions out there. There are more and more each day. Moreover, the "globalization" factor will have a great influence on matters. In the U.S., the various religions have always had to compete in the "marketplace." With the globalization effect, the situation can only become more and more competative.

Traditionally, universities and museums have not had to market themselves. This is no longer the case. The old men in Brooklyn [or their immediate successors] will have to soon start thinking "outside the box." They will soon have to start integrating new technology and new techniques. Simply building faster and faster printing presses will not suffice. Don't they realize how many people in the world lack the skills to decipher even their magazines?

Perhaps satellite technology and micro-loans are not the best way. Or, perhaps, it could be the case that these two methods are viable, but may have to be supplemented by other techniques. But I think that there is one thing for sure - the Witnesses will have to adapt to the times.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that marketing cuts both ways - the high-tech type of marketing is much more available now, but so is high-tech expose of the whole watchtower mythos.

And, their message is decidedly un-appealing once you know what it really is.

Scientology might be an example: the more they expose us to their advertising (they even put a link up here), particularly the antics of the likes of Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and other high-profile kooks...the more the message seems to be that of a dangerous cult of mind-controllers.

And, like the witnesses - they apparantly are having "numbers" issues, and many observers think they are inflating the true numbers for P.R. reasons...

• heathen
    heathen

IMO I think they built bigger and faster facilities because they do expect the babylonian religions to be destroyed which will leave them the last standing christian church and thus they expect a large influx of newbies , therefore it leaves them more capable to provide literature .The fact they keep saying the end is sooooooo close kinda throws one off from following the implications of what they are doing , since I've heard such stuff as they need the new equipment for the millennial reign on the board . I personally think the catholic church is about to meet it's end which would leave nearly a billion people looking for new and more accurate religions . It would not surprise me if say the the jews wind up suing them over the nazi persecution and take over where the vatican is as compensation . I've heard that italy wants to take back the vatican from the church . There are allot of things that could play out to bring them down . Just like babylon it will probably happen without any blood shed . The writing is not only on the wall but countless WTBTS publications .I wonder if that prophesy were to come true then how many on the board would reconsider the WTBTS as a false prophet .

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I think that there is one thing for sure. In order to thrive [or even survive], the Witnesses will have to "hall" [haul] themselves into the twenty-first century. I know that it sounds cynical and crass [becuase it is], but the truth is that there are a lot religions out there. There are more and more each day. Moreover, the "globalization" factor will have a great influence on matters. In the U.S., the various religions have always had to compete in the "marketplace." With the globalization effect, the situation can only become more and more competative.

I think all your ideas would make a lot of sense if the WTS were being competetive with....something. Really, what are they competing with? The rest of Christianity? It's a broad and vague target. Much of it is lumped under "Christendom," and the rest lumped under the even more distant "Babylon the Great." Already they are losing that battle, if the "Jesus Camp" movie is any indication.

Since the Bethel Purge, their enemies now lie within the KH's themselves--members who aren't playing the game to their liking. Note the "bad guys" at any given assembly: JWs with doubts about the org, with dreams of doing something inspiring with their lives, with hopes about securing a solid middle-class lifestyle.

Now their challenge is to FIGHT the future, not embrace it. Cheaper media (DVDs, paperback books, better presses, etc.) is a pragmatic necessity, but beyond that, information is choking the work in internet-savvy lands. They need to retain more members, and to demonize those who leave due to doubts.

• wobble
    wobble

They will probably launch lots of satellites as "Signs in the sun,moon and stars"

The only way their predictions ever come true is if they engineer it !!!

Love

Wobble

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Perhaps my "toothpaste analogy" was fallacious in that "selling" or marketing a religion is quite different than selling a toothpaste.

And yet I cannot help but think that there does exist some corralary between the two, however tenuous it may be.

My point is that certain churches [and museums and universities] are indeed beginiing to market themselves. The basic idea is: Why should I visit, or attend, this church [or university, or museum] as opposed to that one? There are alot of churches, and other institutions, that are competing for my attention. There is also the basic fact that a person tends to follow the religion of his/her parents. There are many more children born into the Roman Catholic or Protestant churches than there are being born into the Witness organization.

Although the mercantile/merchandising aspect is by no means the sole factor when it comes to choosing a religion, I believe that this is in fact by no means a negligible factor.

The Watchtower has a quite a significant legal staff on hire. It seems to me that they could do with less lawyers and more experts in marketing and sales, which would not preclude the hiring of psychologists. After all, marketing does involve quite a bit of psychology. This fact has long been recognized. There is a huge amount of psychology involved in marketing. What advertising essentially does is to create a need where none had previously existed. Advertising consists of convincing people that they need something that they really don't need. What else is advertising but that?

It may sound as if I am being flippant or ironic. In fact, I'm not; I am considering the issue from the "Borg's" point of view.

Despite their "official website," the Witnesses are essentially using nineteenth-century techniques to market themselves. Going door to door "peddling their wares" like nineteenth-century colporteurs is does not exactly furnish maimum returns on their investment. Again, I'm not being flippant. It is in their own best interests to "repackage" their "product." They should take a close look at the methods of the successful churches. What are these churches doing right? If religion is indeed a "snare and racket," as Rutherford claimed, they may as well come out with a new and more efficient snare. They need a better "trap" to snare all the "pigeons." After all, more getting more people to "sign on to" the religion equals more money for the Society.

Essentially we are in an era of "replacability" where any one product [including a religion, to a certain extent] can be replaced by any other product of the same type or sort.

Again I realize that religion is an extremely complex psych-social phenomenon. "Selling" religion to people is quite unlike selling them toothpaste or cars. And, yet, there is definitely a psychological aspect to it all. For their own best interests, the Watchtower should try to figure out why some churches are marketing themselves better than others.

In my view, the "no blood" policy has to go. And the entire "1914-this generation shall by no means pass away" is bogus, outdated, and -what's worse - ineffective. Not even the Witnesses themselves believe any longer. The Witnesses need to figure out exactly what it is that people are looking for when it comes to religion. Maybe, at one time, it was the thing to obscurantist, apocalyptic, and contrary. But maybe now, this is no longer what most people want, or what most people want. This is an issue for them to decide.

It just that going door to door pawing off their cheap books and magazines is one terrific waste of time and resources, both from an environmetalist and humane point of view. In other words, they're wasting a lot of trees, to produce ton upon ton of "printed materials" that people either cannot read or don't want to read. It's a waste of resources "feeding into" one enormous waste of time.

The saddest thing is that the Watchtower is wasting its single greatest source of "capital" - that is to say the people within the organization. They're squandering countless man-[and woman] hours on an effort that is basically fruitless. Even a shoddy product can be made to sell well if it is "re-packaged." If your main goal is make converts in order to bring in profits, I would think that it would be in your best interests to so effectively.

• mustang
    mustang
    I wonder: How much does a satellite cost? Is the cost laughably prohibitive for them? Or, could they afford to buy one, or two, if they wanted to buy one? I wonder about this. Who has the right to put up a satellite into space? Can private organizations and companies do so? Or do only national governments have the right? Is there some international group or agency which oversees the launching of satellites into space? I know that satellites operate at different levels of orbit, and at different distances from Earth. Does approval to launch one depend on the level at which the satellite orbits the Earth?

It's already been done: Doctor Gene Scott OWNS several "transponders". These are the comm channels used in the business of "Sat Comm". Great chunks of this has gone commercial, these days. These thigns have been up long enough to burn out, be replaced and have the ground operators go out of business, change hands or otherwise transfer their interests. The Chinese will lauch a rocket for you; so will ESA. NASA isn't beyond commercial prostitution, either. You build your satellite, bid/argue over the orbit, plunk down some cash and you might become a space-faring businessman.

Scott also owns TV stations and SW (Short Wave radio stations). SW stations have been in the religon business for many decades now (HCJB, Voice of the Andes, I rmeember this one form the 60's ).

Scott died 3 or 4 years ago, but could actaully boast that he covered the globe w/ his broadcasts.

• mustang
    mustang

Here's some stuff I got off the I-Net about HCJB:

<quote>

HCJB World Radio

HCJB

Global - Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ through Radio, Healthcare, Medicine, ... goes through various transitions, HCJB Global is going through a ...www.hcjb.org - 84k - Cached

The Founders

In 1927, God gave Clarence Jones a passion to use the new innovation of radio to help tell people around the world about Jesus Christ.

<endquote>

They've been out there for 81 years. JW's gave up WBBR in the late 50's, I think. I beelive that they kicked the Federal goveenment in the shins once too often.

• mustang
    mustang

You want to "sell" religion?

Let's try the time-honored A-B comparison:

A- JW's: these people are essentially witch-burning Puritans with stocks and pillories set up on the KH lawns.

B- Catholics: sin all you want during the week & Saturday, go to Mass on Sunday, confess, act contrite on Sunday; wash, rinse, repeat

I think you'll get more takes on product B.

Even if JW's update their techniques, all the competition has to do is a little mud-slinging advertising and the JW's are still behind the power curve.

And the competition is way ahead of them in modernizing.

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

My apologies to Catholics that might take offense; JW's are on their own.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit