I've been studying JW for 6 months. Please help..

by fb130 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

fb130, Not only where they part of the UN for 10 years, but members are not allowed to join the Army or carry a gun. the July1,1973 Watchtower under "Showing respect for life" states"Is making weapons for destruction consistent with doing good toward all? Would your conscience permit you to share in producing weaponry?" Yet the organization owns 50% of a company that makes war weapons. Go to "search" click on Watchtower Society and war weapons. That organization is run by Apostates. They do your thinking. You can not think for your self once you are baptized. January15, 1983 watchtower states "Avoid independent thinking---independent thinking is manifested by questioning the counsel of the organizatio." I could go on and on and so could others who have been part of the cult. Someone said "RUN" and you better.

• ibme
    ibme

FB30,

You have been given a full plate from these fine posters.

Just don't choke on the meal.

Eat slowly digest the meal.

We surely would not want you to get indigestion.

Thanks

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

Welcome! A lot of new people are joining everyday.

One

• M.J.
    M.J.

Welcome!

I've personally known someone who was a study and simply didn't see what the big fuss was about with people speaking out against the JWs. It just didn't click. I can see how that might happen. The people spouting off anti-JW stuff might sound a bit militant or 'out there' from someone in your shoes.

But I think you just need to understand their perspective, as well as the jw perspective.

For my friend, things did not really click for him until he read:

http://www.captivesofaconcept.com/index.php

(sorry, you'll have to copy-paste it in your address bar). It's an easy, quick read, and really breaks down what the real issue is. From there the other stuff (UN, etc.) will make more sense.

• ataloa
    ataloa

fb:

If you're ever going to ask them the hard questions, do it now. Press them up against the wall until they tell you something that makes sense and satisfies you. Don't allow your questions to slip to the back burner of your mind. For if they are unwilling or unable to answer you now when they are getting something out of it (you thought it was a free bible study, didn't you?), what do you think it will be like after your baptism, and they have full authority over every aspect of your life?

Do you think you will be able to demand anything of them?

I am sorry to take away your joy. I was a convert, too. I loved studying the bible and learning all these new things. If some teachings ring true for you, there's no need to throw those away if you decide to stop studying with witnesses.

If you tell your conductor you've been on here asking questions, they will probably say we are all just a bunch of disgruntled wrongdoers wanting to lead a debauched life. And I just want you to know that many here did nothing wrong but ask questions or disagree with some of the ever-changing manmade rules. We wanted to worship in truth. Yet, here we are, skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd, labeled apostate.

As for your question about whether God loves Jesus more than any of his other angels: witnesses in general don't know a whole lot about love. They teach a lot about it, but never seem to understand the principles behind it all. Did your study conductor tell you there were different forms of love? There is principled love and there is affection. Unless it is specifically stated in the Bible, who could get in God's head and know who he has the most affection for? I don't remember that specific statement being taught; if not, it was just someone's personal opinion. But I am very rusty at both the bible and the witness teachings; maybe someone else can answer that better for you.

I wish you the very best in your journey. I hope you will keep posting and keep us up to date.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Once baptized, your life will never be your own nor will it belong to God. It will be the property of the WTB&TS. There is no decent way to leave, even if you are a battered wife or molested child. Beware of the cult known as Jehovah's Witnesses.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

This is a link Len Miller (FatFreek on JWD) put together. It is an excellent paper on all of the Flip Flops in the Watchtower Society teachings over the years -

http://users.oeccwildblue.com/millerlr/PivotalYear1988SodomGomorrah.pdf

Others have mentioned the child abuse scandal that has been found out in the last several years. Barbara Anderson has a Summary/Commentary that provides a lot of info. The main website is - http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/

The link directly to the Commentary is - http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/downloads/Secrets_Commentary_Version_2.pdf

• donny
    donny
    You have no idea what you're getting yourself into

Fern is right. I myself slowly got immersed in this religion starting in 1982 and I did not fully wake up until ten years later. I wasted my early adulthood (early 20's through early 30's) peddling a religion that proclaimed itself as the truth, but once I began asking serious questions, they ran and basically told me to get lost. Ask them things like:

Why did Jesus, after supposedly "returning" in 1914, choose them as the true religion in 1919? And why would he choose them in 1919 when they were teaching that he had returned in 1874 and were in the process of putting forth more false prophecies, i.e. 1918, 1920 and 1925?

Why are all of their false date settings passed off as "over eagerness" and everyone elses is "false prophecies?

Before 1970, women who divorced their husbands for practicing homosexuality and remarried were disfellowshipped. When "new light" in circa 1970 said this behavior was grounds for divorce, why did they not reinstate the ones who were wrongly disfellowshipped?

If I deside later this is not for me, will I be shunned?

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

fb,

Welcome to JWD,

There has been a lot of good advice and articles given. My advice, is ask Holy Spirit to guide you.

If you want to know about God and have a relationship with Him, you will not find Him in the WT.

You will find out a lot ABOUT Him, much of which is only their opinion, but you will only find Him by

asking Holy Spirit to guide you.

I am praying that He will lead you in the right path.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Heartiest hello and welcome, FB.

I cannot add anything to what has been said here... it is all a lot to think about, and now is the time to research and use your own mind. If you ever become a baptized Jehovah's Witness, all religious research outside of their publications will be a reprimand-provoking offense.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit