Concerning Santa Claus

by Duncan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Duncan,

I'm in full agreement. (Or is is "spot on!" you say in the UK?)

You're right on the target about the "game". It is fantasy and is actually quite beneficial for the little ones as they grow to learn the difference between fantasy and lies. The JW's go way overboard in branding such fantasies "lies". But then they go way over on most things!

BTW, I know you guys adore your "football" matches much the same as we do our version played with an oval ball where we can legally touch the ball with our hands but kicking it is a foul most of the time. I was just thinking while watching what we call "soccer" that I much preferred playing soccer to watching it on the TV. Same goes for hockey. But I suppose the in-stadium watching is preferrable to TV. I imagine you have your versions of, say, the "Hogs" (fans of Washington Redskins)or "Cheesheads" (Greenbay Packers). Some fans really get carried away don't they?

Sean

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey duncan - spot on ... ahem ... i mean, i'm in full agreement, as the americans say ...

my children are now too old for the santa stories - something i will for ever regret - throughout their lives we were in the watchtower and missed out on all the fun of christmas - wasn't it just the pits travelling to the KH on a terrible night and going past windows filled with the joy of christmas ... sigh ...

we (when we were a we) used the occasion of our wedding anniversary to have a 'present day' - which was christmas without the tree and trimmings - a fantastic day when the children had loadsa presents that we collected for them - goes some way towards making me feel that at least we snuck in pseudo-christmases for them - and nowadays, of course, we do indeed celebrate with trees and lights and stuff

a quick question for you - now that you believe in santa - do you also believe in the anti-santa ?

• Moxy
    Moxy

just a word of caution. it seems too simplistic to say that because no kids complain about santa deceptions, there is no adverse effect. people can't nessecarily perceive the little ways that their upbringing effects them. everyone here should understand that. after all, many say 'i grew up getting lickings from dad for everything and i turned out fine' but im sure you dont agree that this makes corporeal punishment ok.

i dont think its really the same as just 'playing.' when i see parents staging elaborate santa get-ups and the kids absolutely buying right into it, i wonder if they really explain to them thats its just play. i hope they do and i think most probably do but it does worry me a bit. am i the only one here?

mox

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

MERRY XMASDuncan Santa just flew by, from the wireless Elvis sings "lonely this christmas" .. not a creature is stiring, i'm off to bed ... peas and goodswill to all men, womens girls and boys

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just now stumbled onto "Duncan".

There are many treasures lying in the JWD/JWN archives.

What a down-to-earth common sense appraisal of Santa Claus/Father Christmas.

Thanks Duncan.

om

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Missed this the first time around. Nice, thoughtful and positive comments Duncan, thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit