Ever wonder how seemingly smart people can be duped?

by fern 32 Replies latest jw friends

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

I really have to agree with alot of the replies on this topic. One of the reasons why I read from this forum almost everday is becauce I really have learned why people do and believe the things they do. But the original question really is one that alot of us ask. I was talking to my mother about this topic actually a couple of days ago. She raised me in the truth and is now presently out after 20 years of being in the organization and she made a point that I thought was interesting. Her take was that there are 2 forms of thought in a congregation. Those who actually believe the docrine as an actuality. Such as Armageddon is really going to happen. For others such as myself those beliefs are more of a theory. The theory being God is loving, so yes, maybe Armageddon will happen, but I still need to provide for myself and think of my future.

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I love this post. It really touches a nerve with some, because there are so many people out there who wonder, "How did I end up here?" I think that everyone here has provided comments that could go into the "All of the above" column. I think it's a little bit of everything.

I think about my JW friend who is now my ex-teacher. When she talks about the Org, she speaks so well and with such enthusiasm and knowledge. But when we move to other topics outside of her religious beliefs, she is painfully dim. She was not a born-in, but was raised a JW. I've found that what keeps her rooted so solidly in that group is that fact that she lacks what I call a "natural curiosity" about the world around her. What's more, I have often heard her refer to herself as "a little slow." I think that her poor viewpoint about her intelligence, coupled with the fact that the Org fosters a no-thinking policy towards its members seems to work out well for them both. I think that asking the hard questions really is too hard for her. As long as the WTS is doing the thinking for her and can seemingly back up what they say (with ease because she won't refute them), then she feels good about herself and her faith. They have a member for life.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

Regardless of inteligence, I think people want to feel special. Which in this modern age is very difficult. When someone knocks on your door and starts telling your special and that your being drawn to learn.

Its a easy trap for anyone to fall in, yet it wears off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit