Undeserved kindness vs. Grace

by TweetieBird 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Tweetie,

While I quite agree with you and Sozo that the Society goes out of its way to diverge from the rest of the religious world in its phraseology, usually just for the sake of being different --- its current penchnat for ``John the Baptiser'' instead of ``"John the Baptist'' perhaps the most amusing-- I think that the term ``undeserved kindness'' is one of their most useful.
    That's because the classic definition has fallen into disuse among the general public, and today the word ``grace'' conjures up associations with one's being socially adept, tactful; or as an antonym for ``clumsy'' or ``awkward.''

• joelbear
    joelbear

I agree with Quester that the term undeserved kindness shifts the burden of maintaining a relationship with god onto the human. Anything we get we don't deserve so boy had we better work hard to deserve it more.

Also, the term grace, I think, carries some mystical qualities with it than the Watchtower tends to shy away from.

Joel

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

This is a great post! Something I discussed with my JW mother at length a few months ago. She claimed they were the same thing, but I absolutely don't believe that.

To me the difference between undeserved kindness and grace is that grace is an action out of love. Undeserved kindness is an action done out of obligation, typically devoid of emotion or at least positive emotion.

Andi

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

No one commented on the definitions I posted above, so let me. I’ll repeat them here:

Kindness:
    1. The quality or state of being kind.
    2. An instance of kind behavior: I will always remember your many kindnesses to me.
    Grace:
    1. Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people. The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God
    2. An excellence or power granted by God.

The word “kindness” seems to me to be somewhat sterile. The expression “undeserved kindness” could be a single act such as sparing one’s life through Armageddon. It tends to “put down” the one receiving the kindness because of their unworthiness.

Grace, on the other hand, includes love and therefore protection. Loving protection usually does not have limits. The loving giver does not want to lower the self esteem of the recipient

The definition of Grace I quoted above with the: “state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God” might sound too much like the state of being “saved” for the GB’s comfort. The WT certainly does not want to give those religions any ammunition for their “once saved always saved” doctrine.

I like the term “Grace.” The virtues of God’s Grace are extolled in the Hymn “Amazing Grace,” one of the most beautiful songs ever written, IMHO.

Note: It doesn’t hurt that the prettiest girl I dated in High School was named Grace. I understand that she still sings in the choir of the Methodist church.

Sam Beli

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

>>No one commented on the definitions I posted above, so let me. I’ll repeat them here:

Kindness:
    1. The quality or state of being kind.
    2. An instance of kind behavior: I will always remember your many kindnesses to me.
    Grace:
    1. Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people. The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God
    2. An excellence or power granted by God."

Just thought I would post them again for you Sam. I agree with you completely.

• willy_think
    willy_think

hi TweetieBird,

what a good question and good posts. we can see thay are not the same and why

joelbear

I agree with Quester that the term undeserved kindness shifts the burden of maintaining a relationship with god onto the human. Anything we get we don't deserve so boy had we better work hard to deserve it more.
    there's the rub.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit