It aint necessarilly so

by Simon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

A new program just started on ITV1 (for us UKers) with John McArthy of Beiruit hostage 'fame'

Examining the stories and archeology of the bible. This episode seems to be about the walls of Jericho.

The question he asked a curator at the British museum made me think:

"Where are all the 'ancient Isrealite' exhibits?"

"Well, unlike the Egyption exhibits etc... they don't exist because they are just stories"

I wonder if thats why the WTS provides 'guides' to take you round the British Museum so that they can put their spin on it? The guy we had one time didn't really seem to know much about ancient history but sure was keen on painting things how the WTS liked.

Damn... I have no video tapes! I hope there's a book or DVD...

It's similar to the David Rohl books - examines where the stories came from, but not with the assumption that the stories are true or accurate.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

It always bothered me how as "proof" of the bible being correct, they would bring out examples of the bible having mentioned ancient cities. That's like believing in all of the ancient Greek myths because they refer to Athens. Bah.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks Simon

That is significant. It brings to mind some questions.

Why are chritians following fables? Why not study something real like the old egyptian culture? How many have read the egyptian book of the dead?

SS

• rekless
    rekless

just pick up any history book and read it and you will start to question the WT teachings....I can't remember who's qoute this is but"an informed witness is a gone witness"

• patio34
    patio34

Reckless, your saying that an informed Witness is a gone Witness reminded me of what was said at the circuit assembly here 2 weeks ago. Not that I was there, but my son told me that 4-year college was really talked against. That's another thing that 'informs' Witnesses.

Cheers!
    Pat

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Yes, Pat, especially if one gets a Doctorate of Divinity! One locally does a radio talk show and it's amazing how points he makes are controversial yet well positioned.

Simon you said:

I wonder if thats why the WTS provides 'guides' to take you round the British Museum so that they can put their spin on it? The guy we had one time didn't really seem to know much about ancient history but sure was keen on painting things how the WTS liked.

There's that [>:(] word spin again! It actually means that they LIE to get out of some embarrassing situation(s). A real liberal tactic; very Clinton-esque; disgusting.

When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers ... we are ripping the foundations of justice from beneath future generations.

formerly "Theocracy Rules Again"
    circa 1996-1999

• Seeker
    Seeker
    There's that word spin again! It actually means that they LIE to get out of some embarrassing situation(s). A real liberal tactic; very Clinton-esque; disgusting.

See, this is why I get accused of being a liberal. Comments like this. ALL politicians spin (i.e. lie to us). Bush lied to us in his big speech after 9/11. Conservatives lie. Liberals lie. Republicans lie. Democrats lie. Clinton was merely brazen about it, but politicians have been acting Clinton-esque for many, many years.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Oops, looks like I touched some nerves of sensitivity there! lol...if the shoe fitz...

When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers ... we are ripping the foundations of justice from beneath future generations.

formerly "Theocracy Rules Again"
    circa 1996-1999

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Oops, looks like I touched some nerves of sensitivity there! lol...if the shoe fitz..

Yes, you touched on a nerve I have whenever someone makes a verifiably, obviously false and slanted statement. If you had said instead, "A real conservative tactic; very Bush-esque; disgusting." I would have had the same nerve touched.

Now, what shoe am I wearing?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Don't you people GET it? Don't you understand?!? All of this needs to be accepted on FAITH. FAITH, I tell you. No concrete proof is needed. TRUE CHRISTIANS accept this cra..... er, stuff on faith. That's what makes us...er, them.....great!!

To be a true Christian, remember this......WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING PROOF!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit