Let's Do Lunch!

by compound complex 15 Replies latest social family

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Fellow Gourmands,

My most memorable lunch was at Carmel-by-the-sea, California, with a good friend. The weather was gorgeous, the food remarkable and the coffee - French roast - was worth 5 cups.

I'm still buzzing ...

What's your fave hangout for luncheon?

CoCo Cucina

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g196701-Ferney_Voltaire_Rhone_Alpes.html

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My most memorable lunch was 30 years ago. My buddy and I were riding to Niagra Falls on our bikes and decided to stop in Burlington for lunch. We found a nice looking restaurant, looked over the menu, and we both ordered the Steak Tartare - well done. Obviously, we had no clue what Steak Tartare was. The waiter either thought we were kidding when we said "well done" or thought it would be funny to see our surprise, so he didn't enlighten us. When he put the food on the table we both just looked at it, looked at each other, had a laugh, and started eating.

It was actually quite good.

W

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Finally-Free:

I learned something along with your humorous culinary escapade!

CoCo

Steak tartare is a meat dish made from finely chopped or ground rawbeef or horse meat. Tartare can also be made by thinly slicing a high grade of meat such as strip steak, marinating it in wine or other spirits and spicing it to taste, and then chilling it. It is often served with onions, capers and seasonings (the latter typically incorporating fresh ground pepper and Worcestershire sauce), and sometimes with a raw egg, and usually served on rye bread. The word is derived from the Italian word tartari which means raw steak so that the term steak tartare actually translates to steak raw steak.

Contents

[ hide ]

[edit] History

Perhaps the earliest American restaurant version of steak tartare is found at Lüchow ’s, the famous German restaurant in Manhattan near Broadway at 110 East 14th Street. Founded by Guido August Lüchow in the 1882, the cited recipe is in the Lüchow’s cookbook (1952 edition). The Lüchow’s recipe (for four portions) was comparatively simple: 2lbs fillet of beef, 4 slices freshly buttered toast, 4 fresh raw eggs, 8 sardellen (anchovy fillets), and 2 tablespoons pickled capers. They would remove the fat from beef and grind the lean fine, arrange on toast, serve a raw egg yolk on top of each slice and garnish with sardellen and capers. The dish was purportedly put on the menu originally to help a well known patron lose weight.

There are certain advantages to eating beef raw, as vitamin E and most enzymes are lost in the cooking process.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have to add, that was the first time I'd ever seen, heard of, or tasted capers. I love them!

W

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings , Mr. Flip:

It's a deal - just a matter of timing as to when I have the honor of your and lovely Mrs. Flip's company!
    Thanks for responding - always a pleasure!

Hello again, FF:

Now I must needs do a wiki on capers. Never used them in my own cooking, but surely I've ingested them somewhere in the journey of gustatory delights ...

Much thanks, guys!

CoCo

• calico
    calico

liquid lunch!!!!!!!!!!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dears Chickpea and Calico:

Thanks mucho for your comments. Sorry about il ristorante, CP. What a loss. But you've inspired my forward momentum toward the Kool Keeper of Gustatorial Delights [fridge].

Sorry. It's the way God wired me.

Liquid Lunch, Cali? Would that be ENSURE? Or a pitcher of Margaritas?

Let's do lunch!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Where shall we meet today? It's your call ...

CoCo

• chickpea
    chickpea

kaikoura food company ( kaikoura new zealand!)

http://www.kaikoura.co.nz/main/product/?product=licenced-cafe-and-fudge-factory

good thing we are going on the heli ride to whale watch first!!!

http://www.worldofwhales.co.nz/

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Chickpea!

I'm ready to go ...

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit