Something that always puzzled me...

by DisconnectingDrone 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

First off, swallowing Genesis is like a fish swallowing bait. The hook will do you in.

Not one more word is said about the Garden of Eden, the serpent, Adam or Eve in the ENTIRETY of the Jewish scriptures.

Ask yourself why?

It was a fable and an unimportant one.

The rest of the God versus Satan story was straight out of Manichean belief.

The adventist seer, Ellen G. White wrote THE GREAT CONTROVERSY which fueled the Jehovah's Witness myth about Good vs Evil in the great court of the univers.

Judge Rutherford couched the myth in legal terms by making his members into WITNESSES.

It is all much primitive flapdoodle.

Don't waste your life by buying into all these fantasies.

I wasted years and years believing and thinking about it.

Real life is much more interesting.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Never heard of Ellen White until now. A little Googling and search of Wikipedia brought me to this - It could have come from any J W explanation of "Gods Eternal Purpose" & the Sovereignty issue. In fact it is Adventist Theology

Great Controversy:

All humanity is now involved in a great controversy between Christ and Satan regarding the character of God, His law, and His sovereignty over the universe. This conflict originated in heaven when a created being, endowed with freedom of choice, in self-exaltation became Satan, God's adversary, and led into rebellion a portion of the angels. He introduced the spirit of rebellion into this world when he led Adam and Eve into sin. This human sin resulted in the distortion of the image of God in humanity, the disordering of the created world, and its eventual devastation at the time of the worldwide flood. Observed by the whole creation, this world became the arena of the universal conflict, out of which the God of love will ultimately be vindicated. To assist His people in this controversy, Christ sends the Holy Spirit and the loyal angels to guide, protect, and sustain them in the way of salvation. (Rev. 12:4-9; Isa. 14:12-14; Eze. 28:12-18; Gen. 3; Rom. 1:19-32; 5:12-21; 8:19-22; Gen. 6-8; 2 Peter 3:6; 1 Cor. 4:9; Heb. 1:14.) [1]

I am amazed.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Go back and re-read gen chapter 3 and ask yourself who told the lie?

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

If I am not mistaken the WTS once said that the reason they were building the tower in the first place was so that they could avoid another flood should one come.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Wonderful WT logic - tower to be taller than the flood waters. Would have to be taller than mount Ararat then, huh? Nother ark would have been more cost effective - and probably would have held more people & animals than the top of the ziggarat.

Guess they didn't know about Everest or K2...and being in the desert, probably had never seen a real rainbow.

And on this "man governing himself" - is that even in the bible anywhere? I know it is an obsession with JW logic, but after all - isn't man pretty much ruling himself now? WT would argue that we have wars and it is not perfect...

But, according to WT, ancient Israel was under a sort of theocratic law of it's day - and it was quite a mess, too. So, it might be more appropriate to say "man does not do much better under a theocratic king with an activist god than he is nowadays all on his own"?

• Prov1320
  • Prov1320
    Prov1320

I suppose we would have to know the type of person Nimrod was, and what his motives were for building the tower.

Apparently the tower was built for the glory of man, and not God's. This obviously ticked God off, because he has always wanted the glory for himself. So he was compelled to throw the in the monkey wrench and scatter everyone.

Had he left them alone, could Nimrod have succeeded in achieving a unified and successful government without the aid of God?

Who knows? But he did manage to get everyone working for a single cause, and there is no mention of slaves... these were citizens of the city who submitted themselves to such labor. Nimrod was also known as a Great King, which can imply that he did much for his people... perhaps providing them with much needed services. And if they could build a tower to the heavens (which is highly doubtful), it meant that technology in contruction was rapidly advancing -- a good thing for society as a whole.

However, the flip side of the story is that he was a tyrant and perhaps held the "meek" and "rightous" captive... those who had an internal need (for whatever reason) to praise God instead of Nimrod. God had to step in to intervene to liberate those who were on his side concerning the issue raised in the garden of eden.

Anyway, i can go on and on, but you get the point.... and in all likelyhood this is a fable, so arguments surrounding this topic is quite pointless.

Prov

• dawg
    dawg

Read the Bible now that your mind is really open.... no way can any logical person some to a conclusion that any part of the creation story is true... I wouldn't waste too much time trying to understand a fantasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit