Why do you believe the story of Moses & 10c...

by DannyBear 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

What is it about early man's facination with high mountains? The story of 'Moses and the ten commandments' is filled with legend and mystery. It was the necessity of god jehovah, to select a mountain undergoing fear inspiring lightning, thunder, and clouds, that first got me thinking about this whole 10 commandment story.

First of all Moses is selected to climb up there, by himself (convenient), next he witnesses a bush burning, that never burns up. Not a big deal when you consider lightning is all around. Ask any 'hot shot' fire fighter about the Manzanita bush, it will ignite in a flash burn and when dosed with water, often appear none the less for the wear and tear. A hearty bush indeed.

So I will give Moses the burning bush. We will have to take his word that he heard God's voice coming from it.

Where I have a real problem with this story is the 'stone tablets', etched by god's finger himself. Now if I as God wanted to make a big impression on someone, would I select the crude shale off the side of some big boulder, to write my commands...the egyptians had been doing that very thing for a long time already (nothing new here), or would I have whipped up a batch of papyrus paper, or heck, why not some 50# 'water marked' bond paper to inscribe my message. If nothing more it would have been alot easier for Moses to distribute the new law's among the thousands of Isrealites. Why did it have to be written on rock?

Well for some reason god chose the medium of the day, rock. Then the story goes on to tell us that when Moses came down, from a face to face with the Almighty creator himself, he couldn't control his emotion's enough to keep himself from hurling the tablets (on which god's own finger's had just written) to the ground, shattering them to bits?????

Come on, if Moses was so inspired so in awe of what he had just witnessed, would he have even given a thought about doing such. He knew how long it took for the average egyptian scribe to write on stone(not easy). How did he know that god would even supply duplicates? Or was it in fact, that he had invented these commands, to help him maintain order among the throng, that now looked to him for guidance? So no problem he had them all down pat. Just rewrite them, eh?

Of course he was disciplined by god for that, you say. Who disciplined him, himself? He was the undisputed leader in the wilderness. Perhaps he imposed his own sanction, just to keep the murmer's and whisper's of his chicanery on the mountain from proliferating.

Why would god manufacture all that drama, just to restate what many civilized peoples, had already included in their laws of civility and worship?

Nothing new came out of the 10 commands from the mountain. You would think god could have at least, given them something more tangible than some more do's and don'ts.

Moses was indeed a great leader, and as often great leader's stoop to all kinds of tricks and drama, to insure their subjects follow in step.

Still the story is a good one, and many a child has been regaled with it(including myself). But like so many stories, it has to be examined, for what it was a good story, legend, passed on from generation to generation. Or perhaps it really did happen...who knows?

DannyBear

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I really wish I could remember or find the writings of some person who was able to go through the biblical accounts and point out the various mental illnesses that many of our finest biblical personalities seemed to be afflicted with.

My favorite was King David, who was obviously Manic-Depressive. (Bi-polar disorder, depending on which politically correct year it is) This would explain David's incredible highs (taking on Goliath dancing-singing in the streets, his affair with Bath-Sheba, his relationship (???) with Jonathon, his rage which almost led to the murder of Abigail's husband) and his incredible lows (read many of his psalms,).

An interesting thought was that the treatment today for this cyclical mood disorder is lithium. Someone brought out in the 70's that in those areas where people drank water from local natural sources, murder rape and domestic violence levels were lower than the national norm. When those communities switiched to water from treatment plants (with the lithium filtered out) rose incrementially. This person actually wrote an entire book on this, I saw it at my library years ago.

Anyway, the Isrealites during their travels drank from wells a lot (little if any lithium, compared to running water sources) and it explains a lot of the problems they had. Remember in Egypt, they had running water sources in a lot of places.

Anyway,someone in a manic phase enrages very easily and could care less if the stone tablets he was throwing were from God or would be replaced.

As far as taking the best stuff going on in mountains--to keep the riffraff out? Only those with real tickets could get admission?

I have to stop reading your posts Dannybear. You've gotten me to thinking about all the things I could have learned and all the understanding I could have gained and all that I could have done with it, instead of spending 27 years in this sorry excuse for a religion. <sigh>

(((Dannybear)))

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

dungbeetle,

The idea about outside causes like water/chemical imbalances, never came to my mind. Why wouldn't they have been effected, they were humans with the same weaknesses as we have today. So much of what was written under the guise of inspiration, is never examined in the light of rational thinking.

I always wondered about David and Jonathan, seemed a touch on the homosexual side, from what I remember reading. All of the other events outlined in both the Hebrew and Greek bible books, need just that, some examination before accepting as gospel. Any other approach, it seems to me, is blatant gullibility. Like you said, we certainly had our fill of that your 27 my 30....way to many..I agree.

Thanks for your comments dungbeetle.

Danny

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Actually, lithium is little used these days except in clinical settings. Prozac, valium, pacil, and a few others are much more in vogue these days. And over prescribed if you ask me.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

Dannybear, I am glad you read the Bible.

When I talked with Moses, he said there were no copy machines back then, and the textual embossing methods were different.

It would be fun to know the orignal Hebrew meaning of the words "stone tablets."

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Thomas,

Ok I deserved that....laughing with you. I know the 50# water marked bond paper, was a little bit much.

If you have a comment on the 'stone tablets' original Heb meaning, I would like to hear about it.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit