11-yr old wants to get baptized, father objects, elders interfere

by Bonnie_Clyde 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

it wouldn't be such a bad thing, if it really meant what jesus had intended, not a ritual to join a cult.

• llbh
    llbh

I am in the same postion with my 15 y daughter, i have long since stopped goig to meetings, my daughter wants to get baptised, and i registered my objection, Well the elders came round for the first time in years. I told them that she is not old enough to drink, vote, drive, go to war or marry, how on earth could she then be expected to be mature enough to make the most important decision of her life and get baptised i asked? They very reluctantly had to agree

Hope this helps

Regards David

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

JWs need to take a page from the Baptists--child baptisms are frowned upon and often discouraged, even though some allow it. Try walking up to most Baptist ministers with a toddler and mention baptism. You would probably get looked at like you've lost your mind.

• erandir
    erandir

Good for him! I plan to do just that when my son gets to be of age. I want to make sure he knows exactly what he is getting into before he becomes part of any religion. My wife may or may not object...we've had this conversation recently. It'll be kind of like buying a new car. Wait a year or two, and if you still really want the thing, then go for it. If he still chooses to get baptised, I will not like it, but I won't stand in his way. Oh...and if the elders try to interfere, they will be shown the door. It is not their decision to make.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I've personally known of elders who've disapproved of grown adults expressing their desire to be married [as if it should be any of their business]. Yet still, they're going all out to ensure that an 11-year-old be baptized?

Don't they remember how old Jesus was when he was baptized?

• amama2six
    amama2six

I was nine years old when I was baptized. By 15-16 years old I realized I'd made a big mistake. Sure, I knew all the "answers" from their list of questions but I didn't comprehend the extent of what I was doing. Ultimately all the other kids in the congregation were doing it and I was having a hard time fitting in so I thought I would do it, too. Great reason for making the decision, but as some others have mentioned it's usually why most kids around that age in the religion do it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

AMama I'm glad you found this thread... I thought about this thread when I read your story about being baptized at nine.

Love,
    Baba.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Somebody give that 11yr old a link to JWD.. she'll be on here soon enough....

• lawrence
    lawrence

Blondie-

Sure she's ready to get married at 11, have a few kids, regular pioneer, and hold a part time job. Maybe they'll start baptizing at 5 to get the numbers up.

• undercover
    undercover
    I wonder if she would let her 11-year-old daughter get married, and if not, why not.

That's always been my argument against child baptism... It's been said more than once the baptism is the most important decision you'll make in your life... At most JW weddings, the speaker will say that getting married is the second most important decision of your life. So let's think about this...if you're 18 or 19 and want to get married...everybody will try to talk you out of it..."you're too young" "wait till your've matured" "how will you provide..."etc etc. but if you're 15 or 16 you get hassled because you haven't gotten baptized yet. If you're too young to make the second most important decision in your life at 18 or 19, then how can you be old enough at 11, 12, 13 or 14 to make the most important decision?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit