Questions Asked of Candidates for JW Baptism....

by almostbitten 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

As a non-Witness, I've heard that potential candidates for baptism have to answer a series of questions.
    1. What are some of these questions? 2. Is this an actual form or are these questions oral (be nice!)? 3. What happens if you don't answer them all correctly/to the WTS's liking? 4. Exactly what is the point of doing this? 5. Where exactly in the Bible does it say that John the Baptist gave Jesus a test of any kind? Ditto for the apostles who baptized. Just wondering. Thanks!

• zeroday
    zeroday

It might be different now but in 1976 when I went thru the questions there were 100 questions broken up into 2 sessions...basically they want to know if you agree with everyting the WTS teachs if you do not answer to their satisfaction you will not be baptized as simple as that...once you are baptize you enter into a legal arrangement to uphold and accept anything the WTS teaches...

• yknot
    yknot

As a non-Witness, I've heard that potential candidates for baptism have to answer a series of questions.
    1. What are some of these questions? 2. Is this an actual form or are these questions oral (be nice!)? 3. What happens if you don't answer them all correctly/to the WTS's liking? 4. Exactly what is the point of doing this? 5. Where exactly in the Bible does it say that John the Baptist gave Jesus a test of any kind? Ditto for the apostles who baptized. Just wondering. Thanks! 1. PMing you the book....There are 106 questions total 2. Oral (scriptural citation appreciated) 3. You are told to study, pray and comeback again. 4.To make the argument that you joined the membership after submitting to the process. 5.It doesn't actually it is in the exact revese...baptize & then teach. Ultimately if you do not profess belief in the JW answers you are denied baptism...... (Yea and denial of baptism isn't in the Bible either!) BTW I have failed to meet the requirement 10 times......I am unworthy.....can you imagine the conversation with Jesus. "Yes Jesus I wanted to be baptized but I took exception with the Levite law requiring tattling to the Elders...." I am not worthy because I refused to be a snitch.

• yknot
    yknot

Actually I had a nice chat with Philip Brumely (ahh the honesty of born-ins to one another) back in the 90's about the 85' change. He confirmed completely the purpose was to make it a membership agreement. The legal protection is gold.

I would fail a 100 times if it meant saving some newbie Elders.

Heck when I was little we use to talk about the need to baptize ourselves in the bathtub if Armageddon started abruptly....

And like all generation Armageddon's I can flip that mode on like a light switch.

I know that many don't like Phil but I found him quite honest and open.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

After you go through all those questions and get permission to be baptized then at an assembly you sit through a lecture and at the end you are asked two final questions.

Here's a link to those two final questions & some more discussion - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/154388/1.ashx

• yknot
    yknot

It is legally binding in the sense that it protects the WTS from lawsuits. As far as being baptized as a minor.....one of the flimsy arguements put forth by legal in recent years is if the minor as an adult turned in FS....again it is really flimsy. I would expect parent consent forms in the future.

That's weird, Yknot, you mean you have gone over the questions 10 times and been turned down 10 times!!?? I went through the questions once when I was 16, and didn't know all the answers, the elders (2 elders, 3 separate sessions) helped me along on some of them so I could pass and get baptized. This was in the mid 90's.

Yep ..... I am was the purpetual practice study. It doesn't matter if I answered them correctly anyways....... I have a file in the Elder file cabinet. According to the letters I am the most evil person to have walked the Earth since Satan slithered away from Eve. Frankly I took delight in asking over and over why we were under a mosaic law or presenting the french documents showing there was no 'sanction' for using blood medically. .......see if you don't agree to the answers you are not worthy of dunking. Not that I would ever be so stupid to agree to such a membership..........I more likely to sign up for one of those old Columbia House CD offers! All just a game of cat and mouse......

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

GoddessRachel,
    I'm no JW rocket scientist, but I think there was a point to your being "passed" and allowed into the Org at such a young age despite not knowing all the required answers. Sorta like people who join the military at age 18 or 19 vs. someone who is older and will ask the hard questions about what's really going on

Mene, that was a good link. Look at how everything morphed from CTR's day to the 80s. Now do you really think God is a part of that?

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

yknot, the info you sent me was great. Didn't get to read all of it indepth, but scanned over some parts. The part about recording FS (p.88) was so stupid and non-sensical. What a leap! It made me think of a pimp who wants to know what his "ladies" have been up to!!!

I've said this before and I'll say it now: God is getting tired of people putting Him into foolishness. There's this belief that if you put Him in the mix often enough, He signed off on it.

• Sasha
    Sasha

and promise never to attend college

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Okay, this is gonna be long. I am quoting from Organized to do Jehovah's Will, 2005. I included the discussion with the candidate and instructions for elders at the end.

QUESTIONS FOR THOSE
    DESIRING TO BE BAPTIZED
    ?
    PART I
    ELEMENTARY BIBLE TEACHINGS

Unless you were raised by Christian parents, your study of the Bible with
    Jehovah’s Witnesses has acquainted you with the pattern of truth, and very likely,
    you find that it is quite different from what you formerly believed. (2 Tim. 1:13)
    What you have learned has brought you great spiritual refreshment and has no
    doubt given you the hope of future life and blessings on a paradise earth under
    God’s Kingdom. Your faith in God’s Word has been strengthened, and through
    association with the Christian congregation, you have already experienced many
    blessings. You have come to appreciate how Jehovah is dealing with his people
    today.?Zech. 8:23.

Whether you were raised in a Christian household or not, as you prepare for
    water baptism in symbol of your personal dedication to Jehovah God, you will
    benefit from a review of elementary Bible teachings, conducted by the
    congregation elders. (Heb. 6:1-3) May Jehovah continue to bless all your
    endeavors to take in knowledge of him, and may he grant you the promised
    reward.?John 17:3.

1. Who is the true God?
    You well know today, and you must call back to your heart that Jehovah is
    the true God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath. There is no other.?
    Deut. 4:39.

Even though there are those who are called "gods," whether in heaven or on
    earth, just as there are many "gods" and many "lords," there is actually to us one
    God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord,
    Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him.?1 Cor. 8:5, 6.
    Additional references: Ps. 83:18; Isa. 43:10-12.

2. What are some of Jehovah’s outstanding qualities?
    God is love.?1 John 4:8.
    The Rock, perfect is his activity, for all his ways are justice. A God of
    faithfulness, with whom there is no injustice; righteous and upright is he.?Deut.
    32:4.

O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable
    his judgments are and past tracing out his ways are!?Rom. 11:33.
    Alas, O Sovereign Lord Jehovah! Here you yourself have made the heavens
    and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm. The whole matter
    is not too wonderful for you yourself.?Jer. 32:17.

3. What terms does the Bible use to help us understand some aspects of
    Jehovah’s authority?
    Jehovah is our Judge, Jehovah is our Statute-giver, Jehovah is our King; he
    himself will save us.?Isa. 33:22.

Have you not come to know or have you not heard? Jehovah, the Creator of
    the extremities of the earth, is a God to time indefinite. He does not tire out or
    grow weary. There is no searching out of his understanding.?Isa. 40:28.

4. What does it mean to give Jehovah exclusive devotion? Why does he alone
    deserve such devotion?
    You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your
    whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.?Mark
    12:30.

Jesus said to [Satan]: "It is written, ’It is Jehovah your God you must
    worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’"?Luke 4:8.
    You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor
    and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they
    existed and were created.?Rev. 4:11.
    Additional references: Ex. 20:4, 5; Acts 17:28.

5. How should we view and treat God’s personal name?
    I will exalt you, O my God the King, and I will bless your name to time
    indefinite, even forever. All day long I will bless you, and I will praise your name
    to time indefinite, even forever.?Ps. 145:1, 2.
    You must pray, then, this way: "Our Father in the heavens, let your name
    be sanctified."?Matt. 6:9.

6. Why is it important for us to use God’s personal name in worship?
    Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his
    attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.?Acts 15:14.
    Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.?Rom. 10:13.
    Additional references: Ex. 20:7; Ps. 91:14; Joel 2:32.

7. How will Jehovah God sanctify his name? How can we have a share in this?
    I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself
    known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am
    Jehovah.?Ezek. 38:23.

O may they be ashamed and be disturbed for all times, and may they
    become abashed and perish; that people may know that you, whose name is
    Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.?Ps. 83:17,18.
    Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to
    him that is taunting me.?Prov. 27:11.
    Additional references: Ezek. 36:16-18; 1 Pet. 2:12.

8. Why would it be wrong for us to make an image of God or to attempt to
    worship him through the use of images?
    You must not make for yourself a carved image, any form like anything
    that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the
    waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them or be led to serve them,
    because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion.?Deut. 5:8, 9.
    I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own
    glory, neither my praise to graven images.?Isa. 42:8.

God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and
    truth.?John 4:24.

We are walking by faith, not by sight.?2 Cor. 5:7.

9. What does it mean for a person to dedicate himself to Jehovah? Have you
    made your personal dedication to Jehovah in prayer?
    Look! I am come (in the roll of the book it is written about me) to do your
    will, O God.... Look! I am come to do your will.?Heb. 10:7, 9.

Jesus said to his disciples: "If anyone wants to come after me, let him
    disown himself and pick up his torture stake and continually follow me."?Matt.
    16:24.

10. Who is Jesus Christ?
    Peter said: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."?Matt. 16:16.
    He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because
    by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and upon the earth,
    the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or
    lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created
    through him and for him.?Col. 1:15,16.
    Additional references: John 1:1, 2,14; Acts 2:36.

11. What is Jesus’ position in relation to Jehovah God, and what authority
    has Jehovah given him?
    I am going my way to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am.?
    John 14:28.

Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, who,
    although he was existing in God’s form, gave no consideration to a seizure,
    namely, that he should be equal to God. No, but he emptied himself and took a
    slave’s form and came to be in the likeness of men. More than that, when he found
    himself in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient as far as
    death, yes, death on a torture stake. For this very reason also God exalted him to a
    superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, so
    that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on
    earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge
    that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.?Phil. 2:5-11.
    Additional references: Dan. 7:13, 14; John 14:10, 11; I Cor. 11:3.

12. Why did Jesus come to earth and die a sacrificial death?
    The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give
    his soul a ransom in exchange for many.?Matt. 20:28.

God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order
    that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting
    life.?John 3:16.

He beheld Jesus coming toward him, and he said: "See, the Lamb of God
    that takes away the sin of the world!"?John 1:29.

13. Why do we need the ransom, and how does it affect you personally?
    By means of him we have the release by ransom through the blood of that
    one, yes, the forgiveness of our trespasses.?Eph. 1:7.

The love the Christ has compels us, because this is what we have judged,
    that one man died for all; so, then, all had died; and he died for all that those who
    live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was
    raised up.?2 Cor. 5:14,15.
    Additional references: Rom. 3:23; 1 John 4:11.

14. What is the holy spirit, and what has been accomplished by means of it?
    God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.?
    Gen. 1:2.
    No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For
    prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they
    were borne along by holy spirit.?2 Pet. 1:20, 21.

They all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different
    tongues, just as the spirit was granting them to make utterance.?Acts 2:4.

15. How does holy spirit operate for our benefit today?
    You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will
    be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most
    distant part of the earth.?Acts 1:8.

Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit
    has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God.?Acts 20:28.
    It is to us God has revealed them through his spirit, for the spirit searches
    into all things, even the deep things of God.?1 Cor. 2:10.

The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness,
    goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.?Gal.
    5: 22, 23.
    Additional references: Matt. 10:19, 20; John 14:26.

16. What is the Kingdom of God?
    In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will
    never be brought to ruin. And the
    kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an
    end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.?Dan. 2:44.
    Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon
    earth.?Matt. 6:10.
    Additional references: Isa. 9:7; John 18:36.

17. What blessings will Kingdom rule bring for the earth and for mankind?
    He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more,
    neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have
    passed away.?Rev. 21:4.

The sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon
    the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own
    hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain.?Isa.
    11:8, 9.
    Additional references: Isa. 26:9; 65:21, 22.

18. What does it mean to seek first the Kingdom?
    Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth . . . Rather, store up
    for yourselves treasures in heaven ... No one can slave for two masters . . . You
    cannot slave for God and for Riches. ... So never be anxious and say, "What are
    we to eat?" or, "What are we to drink?" or, "What are we to put on?" For all these
    are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing.?Matt. 6:19-32.
    The kingdom of the heavens is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a
    man found and hid; and for the joy he has he goes and sells what things he has and
    buys that field. Again the kingdom of the heavens is like a traveling merchant
    seeking fine pearls. Upon finding one pearl of high value, away he went and
    promptly sold all the things he had and bought it.?Matt. 13:44-46.
    Additional references: Matt. 16:24; 19:27-29.

19. How do we know that we have entered into the time of the end and that
    God’s Kingdom is ruling?
    While he was sitting upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached
    him privately, saying: "Tell us, When will
    these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion
    of the system of things?"?Matt. 24:3.

Know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.
    For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty,
    blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural
    affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce,
    without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of
    pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving
    false to its power; and from these turn away.?2 Tim. 3:1-5.
    Additional references: Matt. 24:4-14; Rev. 6:1-8; 12:1-12.

20. Who is Satan the Devil? Where did he and his demons come from?
    Down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called
    Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth.?Rev. 12:9.
    That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the
    truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to
    his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie.?John 8:44.
    The angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own
    proper dwelling place he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for
    the judgment of the great day.?Jude 6.
    Additional references: Job 1:6; 2:1.

21. What challenge did Satan make against Jehovah and His rulership in the
    garden of Eden? What false accusation did Satan make against faithful Job?
    Now the serpent . . . began to say to the woman: "Is it really so that God
    said you must not eat from every tree of the garden?" At this the woman said to
    the serpent: "Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat. But as for eating of
    the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ’You must not
    eat from it, no, you
    must not touch it that you do not die.’" At this the serpent said to the woman: "You
    positively will not die. For God knows that in the very day of your eating from it
    your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing
    good and bad."?Gen. 3:1-5.

Satan answered Jehovah and said: "Is it for nothing that Job has feared
    God? Have not you yourself put up a hedge about him and about his house and
    about everything that he has all around? The work of his hands you have blessed,
    and his livestock itself has spread abroad in the earth. But, for a change, thrust out
    your hand, please, and touch everything he has and see whether he will not curse
    you to your very face."?Job 1:9-11.

Satan answered Jehovah and said: "Skin in behalf of skin, and everything
    that a man has he will give in behalf of his soul. For a change, thrust out your
    hand, please, and touch as far as his bone and his flesh and see whether he will not
    curse you to your very face."?Job 2:4, 5.

22. How can we personally show our support for Jehovah and his rulership
    and prove that Satan’s accusations against God’s servants are false?
    Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to
    him that is taunting me.?Prov. 27:11.

It is unthinkable on my part that I should declare you men righteous! Until I
    expire I shall not take away my integrity from myself!?Job 27:5.
    Additional references: Ps. 26:11; Jas. 4:7.

23. What will become of Satan and his demons, according to Jehovah’s
    judgment against them?
    I shall put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and
    her seed. He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel.?Gen.
    3:15.

For his part, the God who gives peace will crush Satan under your feet
    shortly. May the undeserved kindness of our Lord Jesus be with you.?Rom.
    16:20.

I saw an angel coming down out of heaven with the key of the abyss and a
    great chain in his hand. And he seized
    Organized to Do Jehovah?s Will Page 191
    the dragon, the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a
    thousand years.?Rev. 20:1, 2.

The Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and
    sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet already were.?Rev.
    20:10.

24. What are some of the spiritistic practices that Christians shun?
    There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his
    daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of
    magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with
    a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of
    events or anyone who inquires of the dead.?Deut. 18:10,11.

As for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in
    their filth and murderers and f orni-cators and those practicing spiritism and
    idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and
    sulphur. This means the second death.?Rev. 21:8

25. What is the human soul? Can the soul die?
    Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to
    blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.?
    Gen. 2:7.

Look! All the souls?to me they belong. As the soul of the father so
    likewise the soul of the son?to me they belong. The soul that is sinning?it itself
    will die.?Ezek. 18:4.

26. What is sin? How did we all become sinners?
    Everyone who practices sin is also practicing lawlessness, and so sin is
    lawlessness.?1 John 3:4.

Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus
    death spread to all men because they had all sinned.?Rom. 5:12.
    Additional reference: Ps. 51:5.

27. What should you do if you commit a serious sin?
    My sin I finally confessed to you, and my error I did not cover. I said: "I
    shall make confession over my transgressions to Jehovah."?Ps. 32:5.
    Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the older men of the
    congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the
    name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and
    Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him.
    Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that
    you may get healed. A righteous man’s supplication, when it is at work, has much
    force.?Jas. 5:14-16.

He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is
    confessing and leaving them will be shown mercy.?Prov. 28:13.

28. What should be our attitude toward sin?
    Do not let sin continue to rule as king in your mortal bodies that you should
    obey their desires. Neither go on presenting your members to sin as weapons of
    unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, also
    your members to God as weapons of righteousness. For sin must not be master
    over you, seeing that you are not under law but under undeserved kindness.?
    Rom. 6:12-14.

29. What is death?
    In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground,
    for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.?Gen.
    3:19.

The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are
    conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the
    remembrance of them has been forgotten.?Eccl. 9:5.
    Additional references: Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19, 20; 9:10; John 11:11-14.

30. Why do people die?
    Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus
    death spread to all men because they had all sinned.?Rom. 5:12.

The wages sin pays is death.?Rom. 6:23.

31. What hope is there for one who dies?
    I have hope toward God, which hope these men themselves also entertain,
    that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.?
    Acts 24:15.

Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the
    memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a
    resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of
    judgment.?John 5:28, 29.

32. How many from among mankind will be raised to heavenly life with Jesus
    Christ?
    I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a
    hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father
    written on their foreheads. And they are singing as if a new song before the throne
    and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master
    that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the
    earth.?Rev. 14:1, 3.

33. What will those who are resurrected to heaven do there?
    You made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to
    rule as kings over the earth.?Rev. 5:10.

I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of
    judging was given them. ... And they came to life and ruled as kings with the
    Christ for a thousand years. Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first
    resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests
    of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years.
    ?Rev. 20:4, 6.

34. What is the hope for mankind in general?
    He went on to say: "Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom."
    And he said to him: "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."?
    Luke 23:42, 43.

I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and
    scrolls were opened. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. And the
    dead were judged out of those things written in the scrolls according to their
    deeds. And the sea gave up those dead in it, and death and Hades gave up those
    dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds.?Rev.
    20:12,13.
    Additional reference: Rev. 21:1-4.

35. Why should we hold firmly to our hope in the resurrection of the dead?
    Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;
    but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.?
    Matt. 10:28.

PART II
    JEHOVAH’S RIGHTEOUS REQUIREMENTS

In your study of the Bible, you have gained knowledge about what Jehovah
    expects of you and how to measure up to his righteous standards. Responding to
    what you learned may have entailed a number of adjustments in your attitude
    toward life itself and in your personal conduct. Now that you have resolved to live
    by Jehovah’s standards of righteousness, you are in a position to render acceptable
    service as a minister of the good news.
    A review of the following will help you fix clearly in mind Jehovah’s
    righteous requirements and will remind you of some of the things you can do in
    order to become one of his approved servants. This information will impress upon
    you the importance of doing all things with a good conscience and to Jehovah’s
    honor.?2 Cor. 1:12; 1 Tim. 1:19; 1 Pet. 3:16, 21.

1. What is the Christian standard for marriage?
    In reply he said: "Did you not read that he who created them from the
    beginning made them male and female and said, ’For this reason a man will leave
    his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’?
    So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. There
    fore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart." ?Matt. 19:4-6.

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife ...

Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife.?1 Tim. 3:2,12.

2. What is the only Scriptural basis for divorce that frees one to remarry?
    I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of
    fornication, and marries another commits adultery.?Matt. 19:9.

3. What does the Bible say about married people separating from each other?
    What God yoked together let no man put apart.?Mark 10:9.

To the married people I give instructions, yet not I but the Lord, that a wife
    should not depart from her husband; . . . and a husband should not leave his
    wife.?1 Cor. 7: 10,11.
    Additional reference: 1 Cor. 7:4, 5,12-16.

4. Why should those living: together as husband and wife be properly
    married?
    Continue reminding them to be in subjection and be obedient to
    governments and authorities as rulers.?Titus 3:1.
    Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without
    defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.?Heb. 13:4.
    5. If you are married, are you sure that your marriage has been properly
    registered with the civil authorities?

For the Lord’s sake subject yourselves to every human creation: whether to
    a king as being superior or to governors as being sent by him to inflict punishment
    on evildoers but to praise doers of good.?1 Pet. 2:13,14.

6. Why should we show respect for the gift of life?
    With you is the source of life; by light from you we can see light.?Ps.
    36:9.

The God that made the world . . . gives to all persons life and breath and all
    things. For by him we have life and move and exist.?Acts 17:24, 25, 28.
    Christ Jesus ... gave himself a corresponding ransom for all.?1 Tim. 2:5, 6.
    In case you build a new house, you must also make a parapet for your roof,
    that you may not place bloodguilt upon your house because someone falling might
    fall from it.?Deut. 22:8.

7. How does Jehovah view (a) the unlawful shedding of human blood? (b)
    abortion? (c) suicide?
    As for the ... murderers ... , their portion will be in the lake that burns with
    fire and sulphur. This means the second death.?Rev. 21:8.

In case men should struggle with each other and they really hurt a pregnant
    woman and her children do come out but no fatal accident occurs, he is to have
    damages imposed . . . But if a fatal accident should occur, then you must give soul
    for soul.?Ex. 21:22, 23.

Look! All the souls?to me they belong. As the soul of the father so
    likewise the soul of the son?to me they belong.?Ezek. 18:4.
    8. What responsibility rests upon a person who is infected with a
    communicable disease that is potentially fatal?

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must
    likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.?Matt.
    7:12.

Keeping an eye, not in personal interest upon just your own matters, but
    also in personal interest upon those of the others.?Phil. 2:4.

9. To avoid transmitting an infectious or a potentially fatal disease to others,
    why should an infected person (a) not initiate public displays of affection,
    such
    as hugging and kissing? (b) attend the Congregation Book Study at the
    Kingdom Hall if at all possible? (c) not react negatively when some choose not
    to invite him into their homes? (d) Why should a person who may have been
    exposed to an infectious disease voluntarily choose to have a blood test before
    beginning a courtship? (e) Why should one having a communicable disease
    inform the presiding overseer before getting baptized?
    Do not you people be owing anybody a single thing, except to love one
    another; for he that loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. For the law code ...
    is summed up in this word, namely, "You must love your neighbor as yourself."
    Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor; therefore love is the law’s
    fulfillment.?Rom. 13:8-10.

Love ... does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests,
    does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury.?1 Cor. 13:4, 5.

10. Why should Christians abstain from blood, and what does it mean to do
    so?
    Only flesh with its soul?its blood?you must not eat. ?Gen. 9:4.
    Whenever your soul craves it you may slaughter, and you must eat meat
    according to the blessing of Jehovah your God ... Only the blood you must not eat.
    On the earth you should pour it out as water.?Deut. 12:15,16.

Keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from
    things strangled.?Acts 15:29.

11. Are Christians under the Mosaic Law and its requirements regarding
    sacrifices and the Sabbath?
    Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have
    righteousness.?Rom. 10:4.

Let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of
    an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; for those things are a shadow of
    the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.?Col. 2:16,17.
    Additional references: Gal. 3:24, 25; Col. 2:13,14.

12. What Christian quality should outstandingly characterize our
    relationship with our spiritual brothers and sisters?
    I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I
    have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are
    my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.?John 13:34, 35.

Clothe yourselves with love, for it is a perfect bond of union.?Col. 3:14.
    Additional reference: 1 Cor. 13:4-7.

13. How should Christians view the shortcomings of fellow believers?
    Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if
    anyone has a cause for complaint against another. Even as Jehovah freely forgave
    you, so do you also.?Col. 3:13.

Above all things, have intense love for one another, because love covers a
    multitude of sins.?1 Pet. 4:8.
    Additional references: Prov. 17:9; 19:11; Matt. 7:1-5.

14. If your brother’s sin against you is of a serious nature, what should you
    do?
    If your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault between you and him
    alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen,
    take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three
    witnesses every matter may be established. If he does not listen to them, speak to
    the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you
    just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.?Matt. 18:15-17.

15. What is the fruitage of the spirit, and how will cultivating it help us to
    maintain a fine relationship with others?
    The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness,
    goodness, faith, mildness, self-control.?Gal. 5:22, 23.

16. Why must lying be avoided?
    The Devil ... did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him.
    When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is
    a liar and the father of the lie.?John 8:44.

As for ... all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire
    and sulphur.?Rev. 21:8.
    Additional references: Ex. 20:16; 2 Cor. 6:4, 7.

17. What is the Christian view of stealing?
    Let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief.?1 Pet. 4:15.
    Let the stealer steal no more, but rather let him do hard work, doing with
    his hands what is good work, that he may have something to distribute to someone
    in need.?Eph. 4:28.

18. Does the Bible prohibit the use of alcoholic beverages in moderation?
    Go, eat your food with rejoicing and drink your wine with a good heart,
    because already the true God has found pleasure in your works.?Eccl. 9:7.
    Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your
    stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.?1 Tim. 5:23.

19. What is the Christian view of overdrinking and drunkenness?
    What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s
    kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither for-nicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, ...
    nor greedy persons, nor drunkards ... will inherit God’s kingdom.?1 Cor. 6:9,10.
    Do not come to be among heavy drinkers of wine.?Prov. 23:20.

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, ... not a drunken
    brawler.?1 Tim. 3:2, 3.

Ministerial servants should likewise be serious, ... not giving themselves to
    a lot of wine.?1 Tim. 3:8.

Additional references: 1 Cor. 5:11; 1 Pet. 4:3.

20. Why should Christians abstain from all nonmedi-cal use of addictive or
    mind-altering natural or synthetic substances?
    I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies a
    sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of
    reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by
    making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable
    and perfect will of God.?Rom. 12:1, 2.

Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting
    holiness in God’s fear.?2 Cor. 7:1.
    Additional references: 1 Pet. 4:7; Rev. 21:8, Int.

21. What does the Bible say about fornication, which includes adultery, sexual
    relations with another person of the same sex, and other ungodly sexual
    conduct?
    Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication,
    uncleanness, loose conduct, ... and things like these. ... Those who practice such
    things will not inherit God’s kingdom.?Gal. 5:19-21.

What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s
    kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither for-nicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor
    men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men ... will inherit God’s
    kingdom.?1 Cor. 6:9,10.

God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females
    changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise
    even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in
    their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and
    receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error.?Rom.
    1: 26, 27.

Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without
    defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.?Heb. 13:4.
    Additional references: Mark 7:20-23; Eph. 5:5; I Pet. 4:3; Rev. 21:8.

22. By adhering to what Bible counsel will you be able to resist temptations
    and pressures that could induce you to engage in sexual immorality?
    Keep your minds fixed on the things above, not on the things upon the
    earth. Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects
    fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetous-ness, which
    is idolatry.?Col. 3:2, 5.

Brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern,
    whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are
    lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever
    praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things.?Phil. 4:8.

23. Why must a Christian avoid becoming involved in any form of gambling?
    You men are those leaving Jehovah, those forgetting my holy mountain,
    those setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck and those filling up mixed
    wine for the god of Destiny.?Isa. 65:11.

Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom?
    Do not be misled. Neither ... thieves, nor greedy persons ... will inherit God’s
    kingdom. ?1 Cor. 6:9,10.

24. If a person commits a serious sin out of weakness but wants help to be
    restored to Jehovah’s favor, what action should he take immediately?
    My sin I finally confessed to you, and my error I did not cover. I said: "I
    shall make confession over my transgressions to Jehovah."?Ps. 32:5.
    Is there anyone suffering evil among you? Let him carry on prayer. Is there
    anyone in good spirits? Let him sing psalms. Is there anyone sick among you? Let
    him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him,
    greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make
    the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed
    sins, it will be forgiven him.?Jas. 5:13-15.
    Additional references: Prov. 28:13; 1 John 2:1, 2.

25. In addition to confessing his own sins, each Christian has what
    responsibility regarding serious wrongdoing by others that could threaten the
    spiritual or moral cleanness of the congregation?
    In case a soul sins in that he has heard public cursing and he is a witness or
    he has seen it or has come to know of it, if he does not report it, then he must
    answer for his error. ?Lev. 5:1.

26. What is the proper viewpoint to have if one is Scripturally reproved?
    The discipline of Jehovah, O my son, do not reject; and do not abhor his
    reproof.?Prov. 3:11.
    The commandment is a lamp, and a light the law is, and the reproofs of
    discipline are the way of life.?Prov. 6:23.

27. What action does the congregation take when a person in its midst proves
    to be an unrepentant violator of God’s commandments?
    In my letter I wrote you to quit mixing in company with fornicators, not
    meaning entirely with the fornicators of this world or the greedy persons and
    extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the
    world. But now I am writing you to quit mixing in company with anyone called a
    brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a
    drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. For what do I have to
    do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, while God judges
    those outside? "Remove the wicked man from among yourselves."?1 Cor. 5: 9-

28. What is idolatry? What are some forms of idolatry that Christians must
    guard against today?
    You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that
    is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters
    under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them,
    because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion.?Ex. 20:4, 5.
    Organized to Do Jehovah?s Will Page 203

Guard yourselves from idols.?1 John 5:21.
    Additional references: Isa. 42:8; Jer. 10:14,15.

29. What is the Christian’s position as to the world alienated from God?
    They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.-?John
    17:16.

Do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God?
    Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an
    enemy of God. ?Jas. 4:4.

30. What was Jesus’ attitude toward participation in the political affairs of
    the world?
    The Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him
    all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, and he said to him: "All these things
    I will give you if you fall down and do an act of worship to me." Then Jesus said
    to him: "Go away, Satan! For it is written, ’It is Jehovah your God you must
    worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’"?Matt. 4:8-10.
    Jesus, knowing they were about to come and seize him to make him king,
    withdrew again into the mountain all alone.?John 6:15.

31. When a person separates himself from the world and becomes a
    Christian, what treatment should he expect from those in the world?
    If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own.
    Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world,
    on this account the world hates you. ... If they have persecuted me, they will
    persecute you also.?John 15:19, 20.

All those desiring to live with godly devotion in association with Christ
    Jesus will also be persecuted.?2 Tim. 3:12.

Because you do not continue running with them in this course to the same
    low sink of debauchery, they are puzzled and go on speaking abusively of you.?1
    Pet. 4:4.

32. How does being: separate from the world affect a Christian in his choice
    of secular employment?
    Let the stealer steal no more, but rather let him do hard work, doing with
    his hands what is good work, that he may have something to distribute to someone
    in need.?Eph. 4:28.

The Devil ... is a liar and the father of the lie.?John 8:44.
    He will certainly render judgment among many peoples, and set matters
    straight respecting mighty nations far away. And they will have to beat their
    swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. They will not lift up
    sword, nation against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.?Mic. 4:3.
    I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her [Babylon the
    Great], my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do
    not want to receive part of her plagues."?Rev. 18:4.

33. What Bible principles should a Christian apply regarding his choice of
    entertainment and recreation?
    Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits. ?1 Cor. 15:33.
    Brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern,
    whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are
    lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever
    praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things.?Phil. 4:8.
    Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world.?1 John 2:15.
    Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons,
    buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked. On
    this account cease becoming unreasonable, but go on perceiving what the will of
    Jehovah is. Also, do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery,
    but keep getting filled with spirit, speaking to yourselves with psalms and praises
    to God and spiritual songs, singing and accompanying your
    selves with music in your hearts to Jehovah, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
    giving thanks always for all things to our God and Father.?Eph. 5:15-20.

Let fornication and uncleanness of every sort or greediness not even be
    mentioned among you, just as it befits holy people.?Eph. 5:3.

34. Would it be proper for true Christians to share in worship with other
    religious groups?
    I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her [Babylon the
    Great], my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do
    not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up
    to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind."?Rev. 18:4, 5.
    Additional references: Matt. 7:13,14, 21-23; 1 Cor. 10:20; 2 Cor. 6:14-18.

35. What is the only religious ceremony that Christians are commanded to
    observe?
    He took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: "This
    means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in
    remembrance of me."?Luke 22:19.
    Additional reference: 1 Cor. 11:23-26.

36. How can you determine whether you should observe or participate in
    celebrations that are popular in your community?
    They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.?John
    17:16.

You cannot be partaking of "the table of Jehovah" and the table of
    demons.?1 Cor. 10:21.

They went mingling with the nations and took up learning their works.?
    Ps. 106:35.

The time that has passed by is sufficient for you to have worked out the will
    of the nations when you proceeded in deeds of loose conduct, lusts, excesses with
    wine, revelries, drinking matches, and illegal idolatries.?1 Pet. 4:3.

37. What birthday celebrations are mentioned in the Bible? How does this
    affect your view of birthday celebrations?
    When Herod’s birthday was being celebrated the daughter of Herodias
    danced at it and pleased Herod so much that he promised with an oath to give her
    whatever she asked. Then she, under her mother’s coaching, said: "Give me here
    upon a platter the head of John the Baptist." Grieved though he was, the king out
    of regard for his oaths and for those reclining with him commanded it to be given;
    and he sent and had John beheaded in the prison. And his head was brought on a
    platter and given to the maiden, and she brought it to her mother.?Matt. 14:6-11.
    Additional references: Gen. 40:20-22; Eccl. 7:1, 8.

PART III
    JEHOVAH’S ARRANGEMENT OF THINGS

Through your study of the Bible, you have learned that Jehovah has a
    purpose to bring all things back into subjection to himself, just as they were in the
    beginning. (1 Cor. 15:24-28; Eph. 1:8-10) Having reached this point in your study,
    you are no doubt eager to find your place in Jehovah’s arrangement and to be
    submissive to his rule. The following questions and Scripture references will help
    you examine your own understanding of submission to Jehovah’s arrangements
    regarding congregation organization, Christian family life, and the political
    elements of this system of things. You will be able to examine your appreciation
    for Jehovah’s arrangement for educating and building up his people spiritually.
    That includes your attending and participating in congregation meetings to the
    extent of your circumstances and ability.

Additionally, this section will focus on the importance of having a regular
    share in the Kingdom-preaching work, helping others to come to know Jehovah
    and what he is doing for mankind. (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20) Finally, it will impress
    upon your mind the seriousness of dedicating yourself to Jehovah God before
    submitting to water baptism. You can be certain that Jehovah appreciates your
    sincere response to his undeserved kindness expressed in your behalf.

1. In God’s arrangement of things, who is the head of the married woman?
    You wives, be in subjection to your husbands, as it is becoming in the
    Lord.?Col. 3:18.

Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, because a
    husband is head of his wife as the Christ also is head of the congregation, he being
    a savior of this body.?Eph. 5:22, 23.

2. How should a husband exercise headship over his wife?
    Husbands ought to be loving their wives as their own bodies. He who loves
    his wife loves himself, for no man ever hated his own flesh; but he feeds and
    cherishes it, as the Christ also does the congregation.?Eph. 5:28, 29.

You husbands, keep on loving your wives and do not be bitterly angry with
    them.?Col. 3:19.

3. Is the wife whose husband is not a believer freed from his headship?
    You wives, be in subjection to your own husbands, in order that, if any are
    not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of
    their wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together
    with deep respect.?1 Pet. 3:1, 2.
    4. Who is primarily responsible before God for the training and disciplining
    of children?
    Fathers, do not be irritating your children, but go on bringing them up in the
    discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah.?Eph. 6:4.

5. What responsibility do children have in the family arrangement?
    Children, be obedient to your parents in union with the Lord, for this is
    righteous: "Honor your father and your mother"; which is the first command with
    a promise: "That it may go well with you and you may endure a long time on the
    earth."?Eph. 6:1-3.

You children, be obedient to your parents in everything, for this is wellpleasing
    in the Lord.?Col. 3:20.

6. What is the proper attitude for Christians to maintain toward worldly
    rulers?
    Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no
    authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative
    positions by God. ?Rom. 13:1.

7. Must a Christian pay all taxes and assessments demanded by law?
    Render to all their dues, to him who calls for the tax, the tax; to him who
    calls for the tribute, the tribute; to him who calls for fear, such fear; to him who
    calls for honor, such honor.?Rom. 13:7.
    Additional reference: Luke 20:21-25.

8. Are there any circumstances under which a Christian would refuse to obey
    worldly rulers?
    With that they called them and charged them, nowhere to make any
    utterance or to teach upon the basis of the name of Jesus. But in reply Peter and
    John said to them: "Whether it is righteous in the sight of God to listen to you
    rather than to God, judge for yourselves. But as for us, we cannot stop speaking
    about the things we have seen and heard."?Acts 4:18-20.

In answer Peter and the other apostles said: "We must obey God as ruler
    rather than men."?Acts 5:29.

9. Should Christians comply with legal requirements that do not conflict with
    God’s laws, such as registering marriages and births, responding to census
    inquiries, or obtaining required licenses and permits?
    In those days a decree went forth ... for all the inhabited earth to be
    registered ... Of course, Joseph also went up
    from Galilee... to get registered with Mary, who had been given him in
    marriage.?Luke 2:1-5.

10. What is the headship arrangement in the Christian congregation?
    I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the
    head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.?1 Cor. 11:3.

11. Who is the Head of the Christian congregation?
    He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because
    by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and upon the earth,
    the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or
    lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created
    through him and for him. Also, he is before all other things and by means of him
    all other things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the
    congregation.?Col. 1:15-18.

12. How can you identify "the faithful and discreet slave" today?
    Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed
    over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave
    if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint
    him over all his belongings.?Matt. 24:45-47.

13. What is the Governing Body of the Christian congregation?
    Certain men came down from Judea and began to teach the brothers:
    "Unless you get circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be
    saved." But when there had occurred no little dissension and disputing by Paul and
    Barnabas with them, they arranged for Paul and Barnabas and some others of them
    to go up to the apostles and older men in Jerusalem regarding this dispute.?Acts
    15:1, 2.

As they traveled on through the cities they would deliver to those there for
    observance the decrees that had been decided upon by the apostles and older men
    who were in Jerusalem. Therefore, indeed, the congregations continued to be made
    firm in the faith and to increase in number from day to day.?Acts 16:4, 5.

14. By what visible means is Christ’s headship represented in the
    congregation?
    Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit
    has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he
    purchased with the blood of his own Son.?Acts 20:28.

To the older men among you I give this exhortation ... Shepherd the flock
    of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of
    dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s
    inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.?1 Pet. 5:1-3.

15. How do members of the congregation demonstrate submission to the
    headship of Christ in the congregation?
    Remember those who are taking the lead among you, who have spoken the
    word of God to you, and as you contemplate how their conduct turns out imitate
    their faith.?Heb. 13:7.

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive,
    for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account;
    that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to
    you.?Heb. 13:17.

16. Whose ideas are recorded in the Bible? Why should you regularly study
    God’s Word?
    All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving,
    for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God
    may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.?2 Tim.
    3:16,17.

His delight is in the law of Jehovah, and in his law he reads in an undertone
    day and night. And he will certainly become like a tree planted by streams of
    water, that gives its own fruit in its season and the foliage of which does not
    wither, and everything he does will succeed.?Ps. 1:2, 3.
    Additional references: Deut. 17:18-20; Prov. 2:1-6.

17. Why is it beneficial to attend the meetings arranged by the congregation?
    What efforts do you make to do so?
    My own foot will certainly stand on a level place; among the congregated
    throngs I shall bless Jehovah.?Ps. 26:12.

Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking
    the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one
    another, and all the more so as you behold the day drawing near.?Heb. 10:24, 25.

18. Why should you participate in congregation meetings as your
    circumstances allow?
    I will declare your name to my brothers; in the middle of the congregation I
    shall praise you.?Ps. 22:22.
    By iron, iron itself is sharpened. So one man sharpens the face of
    another.?Prov. 27:17.
    Let us always offer to God a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of lips
    which make public declaration to his name.?Heb. 13:15.
    19. Why must approved works accompany our Christian faith?
    Faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself. Nevertheless, a certain one
    will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the
    works, and I shall show you my faith by my works." Indeed, as the body without
    spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.?Jas. 2:17,18, 26.

20. What urgent work does the Bible set out for all Christians?
    This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth
    for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.?Matt. 24:14.
    Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them
    in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to
    observe all the things I have commanded you.?Matt. 28:19, 20.

21. Are you sharing the good news of the Kingdom with others? In what
    ways?
    I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable
    nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house. But I thoroughly bore
    witness both to Jews and to Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our
    Lord Jesus.?Acts 20:20, 21.

He began to reason ... in the marketplace with those who happened to be on
    hand.?Acts 17:17.

22. Why should you take seriously your responsibility to share the good news
    with others?
    I call you to witness this very day that I am clean from the blood of all men,
    for I have not held back from telling you all the counsel of God.?Acts 20:26, 27.
    If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for
    necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not declare the good news!?1
    Cor. 9:16.

23. How can we give material support to the Kingdom work today?
    Honor Jehovah with your valuable things and with the firstfruits of all your
    produce. Then your stores of supply will be filled with plenty; and with new wine
    your own press vats will overflow.?Prov. 3:9,10.

24. How can we demonstrate our love for brothers and sisters who come to be
    in need of material assistance?
    If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for
    the day, yet a certain one of you says to
    them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but you do not give them the
    necessities for their body, of what benefit is it??Jas. 2:15,16. Additional
    references: Prov. 3:27; Jas. 1:27.

25. What should be our attitude toward giving of ourselves and of our
    material possessions in Jehovah’s service?
    Who am I and who are my people, that we should retain power to make
    voluntary offerings like this? For everything is from you, and out of your own
    hand we have given to you.?1 Chron. 29:14.
    Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under
    compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.?2 Cor. 9:7.

26. What attitude should we have when we are persecuted or undergoing
    trial?
    Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since
    the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. Happy are you when people reproach
    you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for
    my sake. Rejoice and leap for joy, since your reward is great in the heavens; for in
    that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.?Matt. 5:10-12.
    Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you meet with various trials,
    knowing as you do that this tested quality of your faith works out endurance.?Jas.
    1:2, 3.

These, therefore, went their way from before the Sanhe-drin, rejoicing
    because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name.?
    Acts 5:41.

21. To whom and in whose name should we pray?
    O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come.?Ps. 65:2.
    In that day you will ask me no question at all. Most truly I say to you, If
    you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name.?John 16:23.
    Additional reference: John 14:6.

28. How should we pray so as to be heard by Jehovah?
    When you pray, you must not be as the hypocrites; because they like to
    pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the broad ways to be visible
    to men. Truly I say to you, They are having their reward in full. You, however,
    when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to
    your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay
    you. But when praying, do not say the same things over and over again, just as the
    people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of
    many words. So, do not make yourselves like them, for God your Father knows
    what things you are needing before ever you ask him.?Matt. 6:5-8.

29. What are some of the things you can pray about?
    You must pray, then, this way: "Our Father in the heavens, let your name
    be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also
    upon earth. Give us today our bread for this day; and forgive us our debts, as we
    also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us
    from the wicked one."?Matt. 6:9-13.

This is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is
    that we ask according to his will, he hears us.?1 John 5:14.

30. What effect might our conduct have on our prayers?
    You husbands, continue dwelling in like manner with them according to
    knowledge, assigning them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one, since
    you are also heirs with them of the undeserved favor of life, in order for your
    prayers not to be hindered. For the eyes of Jehovah are upon the righteous ones,
    and his ears are toward their supplication; but the face of Jehovah is against those
    doing bad things.?1 Pet. 3:7,12.
    Additional reference: Isa. 1:15-17.

31. Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses baptize in water those who embrace the
    Christian faith?
    Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them
    in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit.?Matt. 28:19.
    In the course of those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was
    baptized in the Jordan by John.?Mark 1:9.

32. Why is it appropriate for dedicated and baptized Christians to be called
    Jehovah’s Witnesses?
    "You are my witnesses," is the utterance of Jehovah, "even my servant
    whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and have faith in me, and that
    you may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed,
    and after me there continued to be none. I?I am Jehovah, and besides me there is
    no savior. I myself have told forth and have saved and have caused it to be heard,
    when there was among you no strange god. So you are my witnesses," is the
    utterance of Jehovah, "and I am God." ?Isa. 43:10-12.

CONCLUDING DISCUSSION WITH
    BAPTISM CANDIDATES

Baptisms are usually performed at assemblies and conventions of Jehovah’s
    Witnesses. At the conclusion of the baptism talk, the speaker will ask the baptism
    candidates to stand and answer the following two questions in a loud, clear voice:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins
    and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of
    Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?
    Affirmative answers to these questions constitute a "public declaration" of the
    baptism candidates’ faith in
    the ransom and of the fact that they have unreservedly dedicated themselves to
    Jehovah. (Rom. 10:9,10) Baptism candidates will therefore want to give prayerful
    advance thought to these questions so that they can answer in harmony with their
    personal convictions.

? What is appropriate attire for baptism? (John 15:19; Phil. 1:10; 1 Tim. 2:9)
    Those being baptized will want to wear modest clothing, keeping in mind the
    importance of the occasion. Thus, a swimsuit that is immodest would be
    unbecoming attire for a Christian and should be avoided. Likewise, it would be
    inappropriate for one to be unkempt or slovenly in appearance. Further, it would
    be fitting to avoid wearing garments with worldly sayings or commercial slogans.
    In this way, the dignity of the occasion will be maintained, and we will continue to
    stand out as different from the world.

? How should a person conduct himself when getting baptized? (Luke 3:21, 22)
    Jesus’ baptism set the example for Christian baptisms today. He appreciated that
    baptism is a serious step, and this was reflected in his attitude and actions. Hence,
    the baptism site would not be the place for jesting, swimming, or other conduct
    that would detract from the seriousness of the occasion. Neither would a new
    Christian carry on as though he had won a great victory. While baptism is a joyful
    occasion, that joy should be expressed in a dignified manner.

? Even after you are baptized, why will it be vital for you to maintain a good
    schedule of personal study and to share regularly in the ministry?

? How will staying in close association with the congregation help you to carry
    out your dedication to Jehovah?

? Are you now thoroughly convinced that you should be baptized at the first
    opportunity?

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONGREGATION ELDERS

When an unbaptized publisher makes known to the elders his desire to be
    baptized, he should be encouraged to review carefully the "Questions for Those
    Desiring to Be Baptized," found on pages 182-215. His attention should be
    directed to "A Message to the Unbaptized Publisher," beginning on page 180,
    which explains how he can prepare for the discussions with the elders. As noted
    there, the prospective baptism candidate may use his personal notes made on a
    separate sheet of paper and may have this book open during the discussions.
    However, there is no need for someone to go over the questions with the person
    before he meets with the elders.

The presiding overseer should be informed of the person’s desire to be
    baptized. After the person requesting baptism has had time to review the
    information, the presiding overseer will make arrangements for some of the elders
    to have discussions with the person based on that material. It is not necessary to
    wait until an assembly is announced before having these discussions. The three
    parts can usually be covered in three sessions of about one hour each, although
    there is no objection to using more time if that is necessary. Neither the candidate
    nor the elder should be rushed in going through the questions. Where possible, a
    different elder should be assigned to handle each of the sessions. It would be good
    to open and close each session with prayer.

Usually it is best to review the questions with each baptism candidate
    individually, not in a group. By having each candidate comment on every
    question, the elders will get a clear picture of his depth of understanding, leaving
    no doubt as to whether he is ready for baptism or not. Additionally, the one
    requesting baptism may be more inclined to express himself in this setting. A
    husband and wife may be interviewed together. When the baptism candidate is a
    sister, the discussions should be held in such a way that the elder is never alone
    with her.

On occasion, there may be a circumstance in which it is appropriate to meet
    with more than one candidate at a
    time. It may be practical to meet with a husband and wife or other family members
    as a group, especially if they have studied together and plan to be baptized at the
    same time. Or if there are few elders and many preparing for baptism, it may be
    necessary to meet with the candidates in groups of not more than two or three. The
    elders should exercise good judgment in making such arrangements.

The elders will make sure that a person to be baptized has acquired a
    reasonable understanding of basic Bible teachings. Additionally, they will want to
    ascertain whether the prospective minister deeply appreciates the truth and
    demonstrates proper respect for Jehovah’s organization. If the person does not
    understand primary Bible teachings, the elders will arrange for him to receive the
    necessary personal assistance so as to qualify for baptism at a later time. Others
    may need to be given time to demonstrate more appreciation for field service or
    sub-missiveness to organizational arrangements. It will be up to the elders to use
    discretion in apportioning the hour or so spent in each session so as to discern
    fully whether the baptism candidate is ready to take this important step. Although
    more time may be spent on certain questions and less on others, all the questions
    should be reviewed.

The elders assigned to help a baptism candidate will meet after the third
    session and decide whether the person should be accepted for baptism or not.
    Elders will take into consideration the background, ability, and other
    circumstances of each baptism candidate. Our interest is in those who have turned
    their hearts to Jehovah and who have grasped the sense of fundamental Bible
    truths. With your loving assistance, those being baptized will be helped to enter
    into the Christian ministry adequately prepared to accomplish that important
    assignment.

Thereafter, one or two of the assigned elders should meet with the person
    and inform him whether he qualifies for baptism or not. If the person qualifies, the
    elders should review with him the "Concluding Discussion With Baptism
    Candidates," found on pages 215-16. This discussion need take only ten minutes
    or less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit