Why the Word or the Son of God?

by J.WITNESS 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• J.WITNESS
    J.WITNESS

Peace be with you!

After we have seen how clearly the Bible says that the Son is the Creator of all things in the heavens and on the earth, both visible and invisible, we now pass to clarify some misunderstandings that Joseph has.

Acts 21:24 - "take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law."

Where do you read in this verse that James was teaching Salvation by keeping the Law?? The Law is not sin, dear Joseph, and those who are saved love the Law of God and love to keep it:

"But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets" ( Acts 24:14 )

A true believer believes everything that is in ACCORDANCE with the Law.

Respecting some Jewish customs will not make you a legalist if you have really experienced the Salvation of the Lord:

"After three days Paul called together those who were the leading men of the Jews, and when they came together, he began saying to them, "Brethren, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans." ( Acts 28:17 )

And look how James is clearly the contrary of what you said:

"After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, "Brethren, listen to me.
    "Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name.
    "With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,
    'AFTER THESE THINGS I will return, AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN, AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS, AND I WILL RESTORE IT,
    SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD, AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,'
    SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.
    "Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles,
    but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.
    "For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.""
    ( Acts 15:13-21 )

Acts 15 comes before Acts 21... And in Acts 15 we see how James doesn't teach Salvation by keeping the Law, but on the contrary, he says that we must not trouble those who turn to God from among the Gentiles by saying that they must be circumcised.

In brief, it is clear how you have a large imagination, Joseph. You need to accept ALL what is written in the Bible, because, if you take only parts of the Scripture and try to explain them by your imaginations, you will fall in many errors, as we have seen.

Joseph, the real disciples of Christ are those who respect God's Word, and not those who put their HUMAN imaginations in that Word.

Grace to you!

J.WITNESS †

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Acts 21:24 - "take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law."

Where do you read in this verse that James was teaching Salvation by keeping the Law?? The Law is not sin, dear Joseph, and those who are saved love the Law of God and love to keep it:

J. Witness,

I just showed you where. There are other verses as well. He even verified this by saying in the very next verse: 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Such things were still included in the Law and James was still obligating Gentiles to keep parts of it. James did not correct such thinking until finally Hebrews was written and James wrote his letter to the Jews that followed him. Christians do not keep the Law as it impales the Christ again as the scriptures teach: Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. This is something quite different from knowing right from wrong and doing things for such reasons. The scriptures show that it was Law and not good behavior that James was forcing upon the Apostle Paul.

J. Witness said: "But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets" ( Acts 24:14 )

A true believer believes everything that is in ACCORDANCE with the Law.

Joseph responds: Does this mean that we must keep this Law then? No! While it was in effect for Israel it served as a means of salvation for the forgiveness of sins but no longer. Of course Paul could use this in his defense but Paul did not say that he was still observing it as James demanded. He did not say that it was required that the Way keep it does he? Even James absolved the Gentiles from most of it! But he did not do that for Paul. It was after all this Law which pointed to the need for a better way which Paul now observed. Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. 19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

J. Witness said: Respecting some Jewish customs will not make you a legalist if you have really experienced the Salvation of the Lord:

"After three days Paul called together those who were the leading men of the Jews, and when they came together, he began saying to them, "Brethren, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans."

( Acts 28:17 )

And look how James is clearly the contrary of what you said:

"After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, "Brethren, listen to me. "Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. "With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written, 'AFTER THESE THINGS I will return, AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN, AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS, AND I WILL RESTORE IT, SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD, AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME, 'SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO. "Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. "For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.""

( Acts 15:13-21 )

Joseph answers: This is not contrary to what I said but supports it: James now found himself losing the battle against Paul as he admits and tried to end it before Paul’s views could be applied to the Jews as well. He wanted them restricted to Gentiles alone. After a very intensive battle with them Paul wrote to the Galatians with more information than what was contained in Acts: At Gal 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man’s person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: 7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Paul did not choose to battle with them any longer having won this concession for the Gentiles. But the matter continued to plague him with Jews in his territories and finally the book of Hebrews corrected the problem for every disciple both Jew and Gentile. And James finally recognized this and corrected it in his letter to the Jews.

J. Witness said: Acts 15 comes before Acts 21... And in Acts 15 we see how James doesn't teach Salvation by keeping the Law, but on the contrary, he says that we must not trouble those who turn to God from among the Gentiles by saying that they must be circumcised. In brief, it is clear how you have a large imagination, Joseph. You need to accept ALL what is written in the Bible, because, if you take only parts of the Scripture and try to explain them by your imaginations, you will fall in many errors, as we have seen.

Joseph answers: And why do you think that James said that? Because he sent men to trouble the Gentiles over this earlier which is the reason Paul went to Jerusalem to correct it. Now losing the battle he does not want it to continue as it would effect what James was doing in Jerusalem with Jews. But in Acts 21 what does James do: He force Paul to shave his head and prove that he was keeping the Law. This was wrong and when he referenced this letter to the Gentiles, James proved to us all what his real intent was. It would take a few more years to correct it for the Jews as well. We have discussed all this many times here on JWD and many here understand all this very well. But I do not expect those following the teachings of men to understand it. If they cannot understand simple words like heaven, spirit, God, all things, then how can they understand something more complex?

Joseph

• J.WITNESS
    J.WITNESS

Peace be with you!

Joseph, you still insist:

I just showed you where. There are other verses as well. He even verified this by saying in the very next verse: 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Such things were still included in the Law and James was still obligating Gentiles to keep parts of it. James did not correct such thinking until finally Hebrews was written and James wrote his letter to the Jews that followed him. Christians do not keep the Law as it impales the Christ again as the scriptures teach: Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. This is something quite different from knowing right from wrong and doing things for such reasons. The scriptures show that it was Law and not good behavior that James was forcing upon the Apostle Paul.

I don't see anywhere James forcing Gentiles to keep the Law. The text talks about BELIEVERS from a Gentile background. I already told you that real believers love to keep the Law, the WHOLE Law.

And I also don't see where the Scripture ever said that the advice that James AND the elders gave to Paul was wrong.

You have a large imagination. But make sure you do not add to the Word of God.

Your following words clearly show that you don't even know what the use of the Law is:

Joseph responds: Does this mean that we must keep this Law then? No! While it was in effect for Israel it served as a means of salvation for the forgiveness of sins but no longer.

No, it is not that we MUST keep the Law. It is that we LOVE to keep the Law. The Law is now written in our hearts.

And, no, the Law has not saved anyone from the beginning of creation until now, not even the children of Israel. The Law cannot bring for you forgiveness of your sins, and here is the clear use of the Law:

"for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." ( Romans 3:20 )

That's the main use of the Law: the knowledge of sin. By the Law, you know that you are a sinner, but the Law cannot save you. That's why the same verse says:

"because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." ( Romans 3:20 )

NO FLESH can be justified before God and have the forgiveness of sins by the works of the Law, not even the Jews, because through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

You may say: No, but Abraham COULD be justified by the Law! The Word answers you: "For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."" ( Romans 4:3 )

You may ask: But how about those who lived AFTER the Law was given? Here you go:

"just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
    "BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED.
    "BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.""
    ( Romans 4:6-8 )

David lived after the Law was given, but he says that justification before God is by faith alone.

So the Law was never a means of Salvation for the forgiveness of sins! The GOSPEL is that power that saves:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." ( Romans 1:16 )

You said:

Of course Paul could use this in his defense but Paul did not say that he was still observing it as James demanded.

Paul respected the Law in the same way James advised, because James didn't advise him to keep the Law in order to be saved. That was only your large imagination.

You add:

Joseph answers: This is not contrary to what I said but supports it: James now found himself losing the battle against Paul as he admits and tried to end it before Paul’s views could be applied to the Jews as well. He wanted them restricted to Gentiles alone. After a very intensive battle with them Paul wrote to the Galatians with more information than what was contained in Acts: At Gal 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man’s person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me : 7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars , perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Paul did not choose to battle with them any longer having won this concession for the Gentiles. But the matter continued to plague him with Jews in his territories and finally the book of Hebrews corrected the problem for every disciple both Jew and Gentile. And James finally recognized this and corrected it in his letter to the Jews.

Beautiful dreams... Now, go ahead: give us any passage where it is said that James ever taught Salvation by the Law.

Take as much time as you want...

Then you say:

Joseph answers: And why do you think that James said that? Because he sent men to trouble the Gentiles over this earlier which is the reason Paul went to Jerusalem to correct it. Now losing the battle he does not want it to continue as it would effect what James was doing in Jerusalem with Jews. But in Acts 21 what does James do: He force Paul to shave his head and prove that he was keeping the Law. This was wrong and when he referenced this letter to the Gentiles, James proved to us all what his real intent was. It would take a few more years to correct it for the Jews as well. We have discussed all this many times here on JWD and many here understand all this very well. But I do not expect those following the teachings of men to understand it. If they cannot understand simple words like heaven, spirit, God, all things, then how can they understand something more complex?

James was not the only Christian who lived in Jerusalem. Look WHO troubled the Gentiles:

"Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, "Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved."
    And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue."
    ( Acts 15:1-2 )

And who are these "some men"? Answer:

"But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses."" ( Acts 15:5 )

As these "some men" came from Judea, so it was the duty of James to call all the brethren not to do like those Pharisees, and not to put any burden on the Gentiles. James was not a Pharisee like you imagine. James was a true disciple.

James did not force Paul to keep the Law for Salvation. James gave Paul a very good advice that Paul applied with pleasure. We have already seen that true believers love to keep the Law. Keeping the Law is not an obligation for us, dear Joseph. You still don't know the use of the Law and of the Gospel.

So, in brief, it is YOU who are following HUMAN imaginations that have no basis in the Scripture. You look to elephants, and you imagine them flying, although you never saw them fly. Nowhere the Bible says that James taught Salvation by the Law. Nowhere the Bible says that James FORCED Paul to keep a Jewish custom. Nowhere the Bible says that James was one of the Pharisees who wanted people to be circumcised. And yet, you imagine all that as if it was true... You really have a large imagination. Believe me, it is not so complex, but, as the Lord said: "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." ( Matthew 18:3 )

You still have not given any biblical proof for your imaginations, and you accuse others of following human teachings... If you think that the Bible is human teachings, then you are in a big error.

In Christ's Love,

J.WITNESS †

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

I don't see anywhere James forcing Gentiles to keep the Law. The text talks about BELIEVERS from a Gentile background. I already told you that real believers love to keep the Law, the WHOLE Law.

J. Witness,

You do not see because you do not want to see the truth and change what was discussed to avoid it. The scripture quoted in Acts 21 was clearly was showing that James was forcing the Apostle Paul to keep the Law and to prove it to them all by shaving his head and taking vow in the Temple. And it was only after a long drawn out battle some 14 years earlier that Gentiles were exempted from most of it. Paul we know was not teaching that we must keep the Law, even rebuking Peter over the matter and real believers do not keep the WHOLE Law either. But I see that you cannot understand this and insist on keeping it like James did. They you should be keeping all the Jewish festivals, sacrificing Lambs for Passover, worship in synagogues, keep the Sabbath on Saturday and all that. If you are not they you are not a believer as you claim.

Joseph

• J.WITNESS
    J.WITNESS

Joseph,

The Sword of the Spirit already showed your error, so you are wasting your time.

As for me keeping the whole Law, I clearly tell you with Paul:

"Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law." ( Romans 3:31 )

Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law. He is our Rest ( Sabbath ) , and He is our Passover:

"Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed." ( 1 Corinthians 5:7 )

So we keep the whole Law BY FAITH, not by works.

And you have no idea about the spirit by which Paul speaks in the following verses:

"One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
    The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
    Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
    One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
    He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
    For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
    for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's."
    ( Romans 14:2-8 )

We don't keep customs and civil or ceremonial laws in order to be saved. But the spirit in which Paul talks is that we must not make our weak brother stumble. And it's in the same spirit that he accepted to shave his head. And James gave him that advice in the same spirit of Love. And we do the same thing when we know how BY FAITH we ESTABLISH the Law, and we do not nullify it.

Joseph, the Law is spiritual. You either keep it ALL, or you don't keep it at all.

J.WITNESS †

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit