How's it like... living in the South?

by Preston 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Preston
    Preston

Here in lovely Phoenix, AZ there's a part of me that's tired of Phoenix's one redemable feature (reasonable housing prices) and dismiss the cacti, hot temps, lackluster football teams, golfing culture and predominance of fake people with orange tans and....

... Live in a nice bungalow on a country road, havin' a truck with a gun rack, a (rainbow) confederate flag, cranking up some nice soothing Wanda Jackson, grow myself a big booshy moustache, wear a denim vest, get myself a bassett hound and sit on a front porch in my rocking chair while whispering to myself "It's good to own land."

For those of you that live in the deep south... or just the regular south.... how's it treating you? I may consider a change in living arrangements.

- Preston

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

its ok

hot and humid in the summer. Expensive as hell to live in lafayette la. the rest of the south is much cheaper i understand.

• Preston
    Preston

its ok

hot and humid in the summer. Expensive as hell to live in lafayette la. the rest of the south is much cheaper i understand.

Don't mind the humidity... just somewhere that's more green. Why is Lafayette so expensive? Is it the south's answer to Park City?

... and we met (briefly) 2 years ago at a fest in Dallas IP_SEC. Hope you and fam are doing well.

-Preston

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

It’s great. You can’t beat living in the ‘home counties’. There is beauty, money, electricity, all the things that the north don’t have.

It is the residence of where the prosperous live. Nice house, nice car, and the scenery is just exquisite. We have castles, stately homes, interesting history, running tap water, every luxury you could ask for. We are that well off we bored a huge hole in the ground and popped up in France and thought that it was a good idea to put a railway between the two of us, old discrepancies forgotten and all…….

Yes I would recommend living in the South. A bit of Heaven that costs the earth, but it is worth it to keep out the riffraff northern tribes. But even they are welcome to visit…….

• horrible life
    horrible life

I live in SE Ok!ahoma. Green. Very green. Even have mountains. Land is cheap. Clean fresh air, execpt in Va!!ant Ok!ahoma, where Weyerhauser is. Phewwwww

Rural area, Mostly nice folks, except the Haworth area, but they are all kin to each other, (If you know what I mean) 2 hours from Dallas. 2.5 hours to Tulsa or OKC,

Your hat will fit in well here. Lots of ropers and riders. If you don't live in-town, gotta have cows. Need a big pick up truck, with a dog trained to ride in the bed, looking at the cars going by, or at the car in back of them. Most dogs will also guard your truck, while you go in and have breakfast. You even look in the bed of a pickup, and those dogs will be looking you in the eye.

Down sides No malls. Have to drive everywhere. No (name) brand places to eat. Just Sonic, and Pizza hut, and little diners. Want a special exotic ingredient to put in that new recipe? You are probably not going to find it around here.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Forgot to mention, You better have money. It may be cheap living here, but you probably won't be able to find a JOB.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Well, it's true. They are too quiet and plain up here in Michigan. Was that you I saw at Chili's?

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

Come to West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful. (Previous State Motto). Now we have "Open For Business".

WV is beutiful and sometimes rugged. Very Rural in most parts. Has a little "South" in it and a little "North". The term "Redneck" came from the Miner Rebellion in WV over 100 years ago. You will find Rednecks here for sure. Supposedly it ranks in the top 10 of most College educated people per capita. I've met some myself.

I moved here from Upstate NY and like many things about WV. The unemployment rate and lack of jobs is not one. That is the trade off for living in a rural mountainous state with great trout fishing streams and the Monongahala National Forest.

Mr. Majestic likes the South part of England. I never have been there, but it sure sounds nice!

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Preston...wow, how the hell are you?

I've lived all over the south...here's my pics for you.

Raleigh/Durham, NC. Three colleges (Duke, UNC, NC State) plenty of culture, southern as well as world. Best place in the country right now if you want to find a job. Housing is still fine if you go to the durham side and out ot the country.

Asheville, NC. My favorite. It's another world to itself, I hope it stays that way long enough foe me to move there.

Charlotte NC. (See a pattern here?) NC in general is an awesome state. Charlotte is the banking capital of the country...not many people know that, but go there and you'll see it. Super clean city with real estate bargans galore.

Atlanta, GA. Atlanta is cutting edge in a lot of ways, although in my opinion losing ground as far as the tech market to places like Raleigh and even Albuquerque. Still, Atlanta is one of those cities you could possibly never leave because you can do almost anything you want there, from hiking to five star dining (which I go to ATL just to stay in hotels and eat awesome food. Haven't been in about 2 years though.

Virginia - Look at the DC area. Geographically it may not be deep south, but I promise you will find sweet tea and country living galore. Culpeper/Warrenton are good, Charlottesville is still considered to be a cutting edge rural city, which is interestingly enough credited as the place that started the outdoor mall concept. Two colleges close by help out a bit too, plus there is an excuse for a ski slope not too far away.

Louisiana...I'm from there. Loved New Orleans, haven't been back since Katrina. Louisiana's negative side is the tax system and overall ability to make a decent living, IMHO. I love the land...the politics make me sad. Not saying it's not possible...it's just touch unless you have a good niche.

Texas. No offense to anyone there. But if you think you like it...maybe try Austin. Otherwise...at least for me...it's fun to visit.

Good luck bro. If you need info on somewhere you're going, let me know, I'll give you the inside info and any contacts I may have that can help you.

WLG

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Love living in the south....nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina....the mountains in the Western..the ocean on the eastern. And will have to agree with Wanderlustguy about Asheville. very nice area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit