How would the Society give up 1914?

by donny 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

At our recent DC 1914 was not mentioned. At all. Now, for such a crucial date for all things WTS, isn't it amazing that at their annual district gathering the R&F were not reminded of 1914? The move away from the date is well underway, IMHO.

Regarding other dates, they dropped 1935 last May and in the January 2007 WT stated that there is no direct scriptural reference to support 1918 (the start of the resurrection of the 144,000).

Did anyone bat an eyelid?

Page 633 or the Proclaimers book, paragraph one makes for interesting reading for no reason other than the mention of any scriptural citation to support 1914.

• uninformed
    uninformed
    How could the Society abandon 1914 and still keep most of its followers?

They already did when they disconnected the generation.

They are masters of deception.

They change doctrines, then 20 years later you realize that you don't believe that anymore.

Brant

• dozy
    dozy

I also noticed that 1914 wasn't mentioned in the DC - even though there were numerous occasions that it could have been (the public talk was about Christ being King , for example).

• justhuman
    justhuman

I believe they have already did this, quitely. They don't mention about it since 1995. Plus the "classification" of the Generation changed 2 times from 1995. If a young JW was 10 back in 1995, today is 24 so it wan't have any meaning to that person. I know a lot of new JW's that don't have a clue about the importance of 1914 prior 1995.

It is just a date, among the many dates that WT is using to confuse the minds of the people. Does anyone recall what they used to teach back in 1874, 1878, 1918,1925? The answer is no one. Only for us that left WT and we realize that they are just a banch of false prophets

They don't need to give up 1914, since they change the meaning of that date. The famous generation that was supposed to see the end died, and the new understanding of the generation it means the annointed ones, those who will be alive to see Armageddon. So we will always have annointed ones,since the door of the heavenly call opened after 79 years(this is the 2nd time that happens in the WT world. It was closed in 1878 during Russell days, and re-opened after 1916 to close again in 1931) in 70 years from now they will still have annointed people, so they have extended the time for the end as long as it takes. But what they are saying is the end is near, they need the fear of the Big A to get new members.

They will just try to fake the Historical evidence of 607 B.C as they do it already. They do this in the human history by claiming that humans are only for 6000 years on earth., while Anthropologists, records, relics, show a complete diffent evidence. The neolithic Era goes back 10,500 years, but again the WT does not accept that evidence, since it is agains their wacko theology

• Mary
    Mary
    Awakened at Gilead said: They could accept the 587 date and then move the year to 1934.... that's about when Hitler was rising to power... and then the 3 1/2 years could correspond to 1938 (which they claim fulfills the 2300 days.... that will buy them some time...then they could predict the end by 2054, 120 years from 1934

That's generally my take on it too, although I doubt they'd use the '120 year' timeframe-----that would put Armageddon too far off in the distance for their liking. I could see them reverting back to the '70 or 80 year' length, because 80 years from 1934 is 2014----Why----it'd be right around the corner again!!

The only reason I think they haven't gotten rid of 1914 altogether, is because they were stupid enough to claim that Jesus chose them as the F&DSC in 1919. That's where their supposed scriptural authority lies, and they do not intend on giving it up. All the other doctrines linked to 1914 could easily be gotten rid of. The heavenly resurrection? Well, it was invisible anyway, so no one would care when it actually started. And all that other crap about the Resolutions at Cedarpoint, Ohio, etc. etc. were so ridiculous they could easily have been abandoned.

If they could figure a way to keep the idea that they were 'chosen' as A@G mentioned above, in 1938, they could probably pull it off.

• Mary
    Mary

Or, they could just do what Garybuss suggested: "We never said that!" and as 'proof', show the original article in it's untouched, original form:

1914-3.gif picture by sam3217

• jimbo
    jimbo

It is just about time to have another book burning!

Some of that old light may be confusing to new ones and the spiritually weak so they need to eliminate as much of that disturbing info as possible!

JW's should only read the most current info and....SHOULD NOT....research anything not currently in the Kingdom Hall library system!

jimbo

• Damocles
    Damocles

Apologies for jumping in here a bit late. I take pride in my 'strong fortress' as a lurker, but this thread breached the defenses.

I have concluded that most witnesses are considerably less interested in doctrine than in friendships, family and belonging. So does 1914 matter....maybe only to those of us who have left.

Remember back to when we were ministers, then we were not ministers, then we were ministers again? Remember the earnest questions and answers in WT study demonstrating how all JWs were ministers, then the equally earnest discussion of how we were not? Then some months later we see a picture of a sailing ship in the ocean and....we tack back 180 degrees to an earnest position where we are, indeed, without question, ministers! All this in a space measuring months not years.

In all this back and forth, not a smile of cynicism, not a hint of consternation, not a smirk of humor .... just earnest questions with equally earnest answers.

Are most JWs that brain dead? (there's a good joke about that if anyone is interested) Nah, we know better. But consider the sequence..if this back and forth is wrong, maybe the doctrine is wrong, if this doctrine is wrong, then maybe this other doctrine is wrong, if that is wrong......then, cricky, it all may be wrong and so I maybe I will quit....and lose all my family and friends!

Hmmm. Okay,okay, I get it. Today I am a minister, no, no I'm not...Oh pardon me I was wrong.. I am indeed a proud minister....and I get to keep my family and friends. Cool.

Not a lot of question, in my mind, why waffling on 1914 produces nary a ripple on most folks minds.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Welcome Damocles!!!!

Good to jump in isn't it?

Just as 1914 became the new 1874, I think, in a way, 1914 will become the new 1799! But then what will become the new 1914?

Back in the day (pre-1940s chronology overhaul), the WT taught that 1799 was the beginning of the "Last Days". I think 1914 will continue to be known as the start of the last days. They'll still say that Satan was kicked out of heaven then and Christ assumed the throne at that time, but beyond that, won't mention much else, other than all this stuff about the 20th century being the start of all things bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit