First Time Blood Donor

by AudeSapere 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

There is a blood drive at work this coming Tuesday.

I'm scheduled for 10:00am and this will be my first donation. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it successful?

I volunteered about 2 years ago but got sick the day before and so I was declined.

This time I'm in good health and find I'm getting just a little nervous. Or maybe I'm mistaking that for excitement?

They are offering either a certificate for a pint of BaskinRobbins ice cream or a t-shirt. Since I'm trying to get in better shape (including weight loss) I'm opting for the t-shirt. Besides, it will provide a nice souvenier of this momentous occaision.

Funny. I'm considering it a momentous occaision - almost on the level with my JW baptism. To most people this is just a normal social/civic activity. To an ex-jw, I think it nearly is the equivalent of baptism. A symbol of my rejection of one of the core JW doctrines. The upside is that someone may actually benefit in a tangible way from my action.

I'm rather excited. But still just a little nervous. Just how light-headed *do* you feel after your initial donation? What do you do to counter the effects?

-Aude.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

thats super!

I wanted to and was declined for anemia, I think I will try again.

Maybe some witness will benefit from a fraction of my blood.

purps

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Go for it...it is something i have considered myself but never got around to doing it.

Paul (now of the jedi class)

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    What do you do to counter the effects?

Drink blood...

J/K Denise....

Actually, I haven't done this yet... I must put it in my to-do list... I just got my voter's registration back, so blood should be next.

Congrats!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Good for you, Aude! Congrats!

Donating always leaves me tired -- I usually have to go to bed by 7 or 8pm the day I do, and I am lethargic and dull-headed all day. (More so than usual!)

But most people I know that donate don't experience that.

Good luck!

Dave

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

After the week I am having I may go to the Red Cross and let them take all of my blood.

Eat the cookie, drink the juice and still for a bit.......... it's all good.

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've tried, but they reject me because I had cancer in my 20's.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Glad your excited, it has crossed my mind at times when they have the clinics.

h4o

BTS..wow that's pretty young to experience such a thing.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS..wow that's pretty young to experience such a thing.

I was 20. But I am still here aren't I? That is what counts.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I just donated blood for the first time about a month ago. Eat something before you go and drink plenty of water. Giving blood for the first time can make nauteous. Don't smoke or drink alchohol afterward for an hour or so. When giving blood just keep your mind focused on something else. Stare out the window, etc..

You'll be fine!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit