A memory from my childhood.

by lost_light06 8 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I just remembered this today, though I would share.

There was one sister in my childhood cong. that was mentally challenged. She was always very eager to participate, gave answers at every meeting (she would ramble on, sometimes for 5 minutes, until the conductor had to stop her). She was in field service almost every day and would go door to door, make return visits, try her best to spread the "good news".

I didn’t think anything of her other than she was that strange sister that talked funny and smelled like moth balls, no insult intended, I was a child and that’s what I thought. However, my sympathy for her grew when my father (who had faded and was a quiet apostate) told me that she at one time had been disfellowshipped. I didn’t know for what until high school when I helped take care of her mentally challenged son who was my age…. She had never been married.

My father had always had a problem with disfellowshipping and so at first I just brushed this bit of information off as his attempt to poison my spiritual mind. But that bit of information stuck with me…… it bothered me. Before I had doubts, before I lost faith in the WT, my conscience bothered me that the organization and the BOE would disfellowship a mentally challenged person. They had found her "un-repentant"….. did she even understand what that meant?!?

It still makes me sick to think what she went through, having a mentally challenged son, then having that son taken from her by the state because she was incapable of caring for him. All the while her only real support group, the congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, kicked her out, shunned her. That sister still attends meetings today, she still goes door to door spreading the "good news" of this organization that treated her so poorly. Sad.

-LL06

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

That's Jehovah's "christian" Witnesses for you.

Paul

• changeling
    changeling

That someone with the mind of a child would be allowed to be baptized and put in a position to be responsible for their actions is ridiculous.

Oh, wait, I was baptized at the age of 10...same difference really.

changeling :)

• lesterd
    lesterd

I feel old

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

This is really sad, and something you can't forget.

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

That's really odd that you mentioned this, because right now, I'm wondering why there are JWs actively and persistantly studying with my uncle who has Alzheimer's and they are aware of this because it's been told to them.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

this is sad.

I have a childhood memory of my dad having a BS with a mentally challanged man. The elders told my dad, who brought him to the meetings, not to bring him back.

One of the very few times I saw my dad cry.

lisa

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they don't want them at the boasting sessions, then why study the Washtowel publications with them in the first place? All that does is wastes everyone's time and energy, and sets them up for these disasters.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

lisavegas~ The bit you told is very sad also. It just hurts to read. I am sure you know it was the best thing that could have happened for that man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit