What is Unconditional love? How can it be ...

by Celtic 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

expressed by action? What does it do and when given to you, how does it make you feel inside?

peace

celtic

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

celtic, i think any kind of love is impossible to describe in words...

• Andee
    Andee

Unconditional love is a fairy tale. Love has always had conditions.

Andee

• JanH
    JanH

I've always had problems with the term "unconditional love". No love is without conditions. If you love someone, no matter how deep, what will happen if he or she betrays you in the most cruel way? abuses you? tries to kill you? abuses kids? turns out to be a bin laden associate? will you always love them? I don't think so.

The question is who sets the conditions.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Celtic
    Celtic

The next best thing then, whats it like?

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Celtic,

I wrote an article on this topic. You can read it if you wish at http://www.geocities.com/freepeace2000/unconlove.htm .

Doug

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• Richie
    Richie

I recently read a poem from an unknown author - it describes the feelings of love in a manner reminiscent of unconditional love....

Our love can sustain anything,
    It will always be there.
    I need you to remember
    My love will always be here.
    Our love will be forever true.
    Nothing can make it untrue
    Not the span of the largest ocean
    Not the distance of the sky so blue.
    Not even the space between heaven and hell
    Can take our love away.
    I look above and praise the Lord
    For you every day.
    I wish our moments together
    Would be never-ending...
    Even though they are not
    I do not have to worry.
    I know you will always be there
    Even when no one else is.
    You will stand by me,
    Be there when I need you most
    And when I look in your eyes
    I see something deep and true.
    I see the story of our love
    And how all my wishes
    And dreams have come true.

:*) Richie

• Celtic
    Celtic

Cheers guy's for sending your thoughts, appreciate it!!

peace

celtic

anyone else? (Ackkkkkk, feel like the WT conductor, perish the thought)

• lydia
    lydia

Celtic,

Of course you realize that Faries are capable of unconditional love, but thats not the question you are asking about.....
    So here my understanding of it....

Unlike the Societies ideology that the Love of God is conditional as to the amount of things you do for the society, ( not unlike the Romans when praying to the various gods and godesses - they only gave a sacrifice when they expected a return for it...)

Unconditional Love is much like that of a mother for a child (mind you this would be a X-dub, or non-dub mother of course..) I love my children unconditionally... although that does not mean I do not get upset with the choiuces that they make at times...but even though I may dislike some of the choices..I do Love them and always.

This is the Love of someone who is there for you - no matter what...and is always ready to welcome you with open arms...

Someone who loves unconditonally will always want to hear from you and always be up to helpping ....

It is Beautiful..wonderful...fragile..and very rare today........
    ...not unlike a Faeries Kiss......

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

What is unconditional love?
    Loving someone, no matter what they do or say. That does not mean always accepting their actions or allowing them to cross your boundaries. This is rare and imperfect by definition, but I do believe it exists. I do not believe love is a feeling that gives us the warm fuzzies. To me love is a choice. It is a decision that I make every time I am with someone else. I can choose to hate or I can choose to love with every action I make. To me the realization that love is not a warm toed feeling, took a lot of the confusion out of it for me. My relationships became healthier and grew much deeper. I don't always feel it, but I think it.

How can it be expressed by action?
    By always being kind, considerate, and honest. I always try to love the person, even if I don't love their actions. I don't believe that it means allowing others to trample or steamroll me. Sometimes this means setting up rules to protect myself, but accepting the possibility that the person will turn away from hurting others and make amends. I believe that forgiveness and grace are the ultimate acts of love.

What does it do when given to me?
    It makes me realize how much in my life I don't deserve. It makes me thankful for the great things I do have. When someone loves me, it makes me realize how much I have to offer this world and how much more of an impact I can make on others.

How does it make me feel inside?
    When I realize someone loves me, warts and all, it makes me feel strong. I may be a total sap for believing in it, but I think that love can be one of the biggest motivators to accomplish great things in this world. Whether you are the receiver or the giver, love creates a bond that is very difficult to destroy. I do not believe that love is always felt either. Like I mentioned earlier, love is a choice. Sometimes love can make you feel certain ways, but loving or being loved does not necessarily manifest its ways in feelings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit