Banks

by logic 5 Replies latest jw friends

• logic
    logic

I just heard this rumor from my wife. A congregation in this area has received a message from the society to take their money out of washinton mutual asap. This is interesting because a couple of economist I read on the internet have said they expect wamu to go under in the next few days. They have been in trouble for quite sometime. I told my wife to get our money out quite some time ago, because the banks weren't looking to good to me. The government always tries to paint a rosie picture of the economy, but for the past year they have been way off base. A couple of weeks before indymac went under the ceo said the bank was making a turnaround. he just didn't say it was over a cliff.

There are rumors and there are rumors, but sometimes we have to be alert when it comes to our finances. There is the FDIC assurance, but if too many banks go under at the same time it could be a problem even the government can't take care of, not to mention they could tie up your money for a time. Hopefully things will straighten out, but the economy just doesn't look too good right now.

Has anyone else heard anything of this sort.

• sir82
    sir82
    A congregation in this area has received a message from the society to take their money out of washinton mutual asap.

That's funny - the Society is now giving investment advice free of charge!

She might be referring to the letter to the BOEs from 3 or 4 months back that recommended that congregations with large savings accounts pull the money out of the bank and "loan" it to the Society (who of course pay no interest).

Probably some elder's wife got wind of it and twisted the contents in her mind to some dire "Armageddon is near - the banks are failing! Save us Jehovah!" type of hysterical scenario.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

So where does the WTS put their (our) money ? ..... In their pillows?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

rumors are how Indymac bit the dust. With irresponsible politicians making public announcements, they caused a bank run. It won't be the last as rumor and innuendo prevails.

I think the idea of The Society contacting a single congregation to pull it's money seems cheesie. There's more to the story

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been hearing this since I have been hearing things, that the banks are going to fail.

I first recall hearing it in about 1981.

It's kind of like the boy who cried wolf.

But, I guess someday the wolf may come.

I guess if your not afraid and on edge you're not an American.

I remember back in the 80's I was buying silver and burying it in the back yard.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

did it grow into a silver forest?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit