which bible do you find most unbiased...?

by Richie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

A question to those who are still interested in reading the bible; which translation would you prefer? The NWT or another - and if so, which one?

:* Richie

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

I have a Macarther New King James study Bible. I also enjoy the New Jerusalem Bible and the NIV, NASB and the King James of course (it's poetic language is great).
    The NWT is a mockery and is intentionally incorrect in order to change key words and passages to 'fit' JW theology.
    Rex

• Satanus
    Satanus

R

For me it's past tense, as in 'did', as i'm not into the bible anymore. Nrsv had my vote.

SS

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

For casual reading, NJB.

For serious, intensive study, NWT, hands down.

• avengers
    avengers

What's the purpose?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

hahah ya right Cyg!!!

For serious study, NASB, NIV, NJB, or the Translators New Testament. For just light reading I love "The Message" by Eugen Peterson it's very fresh and kind of a commentary in itself!!!

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• willy_think
    willy_think

NRSV Catholic edition. if you are going to read the christian scrolls you might as well read all of them.

willy think: thread killer

• josephus
    josephus

for whats its worth

im a new english bible fan.

regards

josephus

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Sorry Willie,
    The scrolls in dispute were never cannon in the Hebrew scriptures. That's why they were 'removed' at the time of the reformation. None of them matched up to the criteria set for inspiration.
    Rex

• Rev BII
    Rev BII

Definetly the ASV - American Standard Version. It's widely acclaimed for its honesty and also uses God's name, Jehovah.

The Jerusalem Bible is great too, very honest.

I own the NWT too but I rarely read it you don't need a NWT to proof the protestants wrong and besides I like archaic language.

The NWT gets ofcause attacked a lot by the church but 'corrupt stuff' go on in order bibles.

I noticed this in some stupid conversation about whether mormons would go to hell:

1 Galatians 1:8;

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed (RSV)

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! (NIV)

But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema. (ASV)

Here we see the NIV adding to the Word. They are protestants and don't believe in the resurrection but in the immortal soul.

Another one, KJV catholics showing they don't know what the millenium reign is about (they think it's the popereign apperantly), John 5:29;

and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment (RSV)

and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment. (ASV)

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. (KJV)

This verse exist not in the ASV and the RSV, but in the ole KJV:

1 John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

There are most likely a lot more to drag forth but I haven't investigated the issue that much. I just find it rewarding to read more that one translation.

God Bless

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit