The term "Jehovah God"

by kzjw 16 Replies latest jw friends

• kzjw
    kzjw

I'm having trouble with it...I accept that God has many different names, Yaweh, Allah, Jehovah, etc. IMHO, it doesn't matter what you call Him as long as you Him!

But what's up with "Jehovah God" as I hear the term used in talks by certain elders. Isn't it redundant to use God's name twice? Is "God" Jehovah's last name? I don't think so! I subscribe 2 of the following possible answers;

1. It's Idolotry...By placing a title infront ot the name of God, it implies a different "god". A clear Commandment violation.
    2. It's a substitute name for the FDS, WTBS or the governing body, from which ridiculous doctrines/policies are passed off as the will of God.

What do you think?

KZJW

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I think a name for God would only make sense if there were other gods in competition.

A monotheist world annuls the need for naming.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Is it in the bible?

S

• sir82
    sir82

I'm considering having my name changed to Sir82 Human.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I only go to memorial (family issues) but it always annoyed me when they prayed to "jehovah god"

What is the big issue to either pray to "jehovah" or to pray to god.

It does seem to be an old first name ,last thing sort of thing...Not that I think they are a cult...

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

This is keeping with the translation from The LORD God. In many places, they substitute Jehovah, so you have "Jehovah God."

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Jesus taught us to pray with these first words: " Our Father in the heavens"

• chappy
    chappy

I have a very close relationship with my dad. I sometimes call him "dad", "daddy" and someimes "papa" or "pop". I never use his given name (John). God wants us to be close and personal with Him. Using His name seems very impersonal to me. A public prayer could be an exception, as long as it's not overdone like the witnesses do. Jesus said to pray "Our Father in heaven", not "Jehovah in heaven". chappy

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

There's worse - there's JEEEEEhovah God. I always hated it when someone would pronounce it like that. Talk about an affectation.

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I know this is a little off the topic, but my Witness teacher always seemed a little exasperated when I didn't refer to God as Jehovah (in fact, I preferred Yahweh). I agree with chappy. For me, it is a respect thing. I never call my parents by their first name, so I don't do it with Him. He is first and foremost, my Heavenly Father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit