Tolerating Intolerance

by hamilcarr 9 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

US Jehovah's Witness are reported to be least tolerant toward other beliefs and homosexuality. Muslims score much better.

Some on this board have argued we should stand up to intolerant religions.

How far should we go in tolerating the intolerance, without becoming intolerant ourselves?

Or is intolerance part of the diversity that every modern civilzation needs?

• trevor
    trevor

I guess we stop tolerating when tolerance becomes appeasement.

But who is to decide when that point had been reached?

• garybuss
    garybuss

I've found the Witness intolerance can be tolerated from a distance. I believe 100 miles is an effective minimum number.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Intolerance of intolerance must not be tolerated.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Or is intolerance part of the diversity that every modern civilzation needs?

Some intolerance is necessary. A free society cannot tolerate that which coerces others. It cannot allow it.

As for the views of JWs and Muslims, they can believe what they wish, so long as they cannot dictate to others outside themselves nor trap their members within their ranks.

BTS

• milligal
    milligal

Well, Burntheships and I CAN agree on something

I think this is an interesting idea posted on this thread, and my personal take on it has something to do with the idea of social contract and utilitarianism. You have a responsibility to do what furthers the existence of your society. Intolerance should be acceptable as long as it is an exercise of freedom of religion but not so far as it inhibits any national goal or peace that might exist within a society.....

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good topic. Interesting responses so far.

But this phrase is one of those that when repeated over and over again makes the words seem funny to me.

Tolerating Intolerance Tolerating Intolerance Tolerating Intolerance Tolerating Intolerance Tolerating Intolerance

Say that a hundred times.

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

I doubt somewhat that a radicalized Muslim would be any more or less tolerant than a dedicated JW. Or, for that matter, a really hardcore fundamentalist protestant christian. Many religions are in fact quite intolerant of others.

I suppose, though, that with the current political climate - such an intolerant Muslim would probably be less likely than a JW to actually admit to the intolerance. It is almost a Mantra with them to assure everybody how peace-loving Islam really is, all the while they are preaching the evils of the west.

Whereas, of course, the JW is trained to be proud of their intolerance, as if it were a badge of honor. They are required to show this intolerance in public - as per flag salute, national anthem, preaching the destruction of everyone else from door to door, making fun of non-witness holidays, etc.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good point James Woods. Would not of thought of that - Muslims are prob tired of the attacks. Jw's relish them.

Jeff

• Carmel
    Carmel

Interesting that the Saudi's have called for an international conference with representatives of all the major religions (except Baha'is) to discuss developing tolerance and compassion for each other! They (Sunni's) could go only so far with their attempt to change world opinion toward the effects of "radical" Islam. Seems they want to be considered "moderate" so they can continue treating women and minority religions disrepectfully and have the world turn a blind eye! carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit