What does your congregation do socially now?

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Let's see--

Picnics about once a year. Gone since 1993.

Having small gatherings. That seems to have disappeared during the 1990s.

As of 2004, basically boasting sessions and field circus.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

15 years ago there were many social events around the north island of NZ that we were regularly invited to.

Our local cong. had many events organised by a very sociable couple who eventually fell out with elders over an altercation with a JW neighbour over them shooting a pig that regularly raided their garden. They moved to another congo then moved from our area. As far as I am aware they have ceased organising any events, which is a shame, because they were enjoyed by all and other congos would put on events to reciprocate.

Being a JW in the north island of NZ is not as much fun as it used to be.

The only social evening we have had in our town in recent years was a Bible quiz night. I wasn't invited. I wonder why?

Cheers
    Chris

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I think they all died or disassociated. My old Kingdumb Hell is now some sort of weird baptist church.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    enough gatherings to fill the week's schedule.

Let's see --

Monday = Prepare for bookstudy
    Tuesday = Bookstudy
    Wednesday = Prepare for Ministry School / Service Meeting
    Thursday = Ministry School / Service Meeting
    Friday = Prepare for ministry (evening witnessing if you're really good)
    Saturday = Field Ministry
    Sunday = Talk / Watchtower

Yep, that pretty much fills the week's schedule.

• nsrn
    nsrn

My parents are still in, but too elderly and ill to attend meetings in person--they use a speaker phone. But they have told me about get togethers recently regarding high school graduations, house warmings, baby showers and anniversary parties. But not the summer picnics and skating parties I remember in the 70's...

• White Dove
    White Dove

While I was still in about three years ago, they had a picnic one year.

I remember one baby shower another year.

Sometimes, they'd have tennis in the summer a couple of times, but that was only a couple of families.

Other than that, I never heard of anything else.

It was a very boring cong. The members seemed to keep to themselves, unless they did things and didn't invite me.

• sacolton
    sacolton

My wife's congregation has volleyball once every blue moon. Sometimes the congregation would rent out the rural firestation and play games and do karaoke, but those are rare and far and few between.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Monday = Prepare for bookstudy
    Tuesday = Bookstudy
    Wednesday = Prepare for Ministry School / Service Meeting
    Thursday = Ministry School / Service Meeting
    Friday = Prepare for ministry (evening witnessing if you're really good)
    Saturday = Field Ministry
    Sunday = Talk / Watchtower

ML, I had the same exact schedule... no life whatsoever....

• Lizmarie
    Lizmarie

Hi, the society encourages good assosiation, which means spending times together in and outside the hall. Ihave just move back to my old congregation in Ireland after living in England for two years, we had a few young ones in the congregation and would try and get together as often as possible ...I would recomend this to anyone, you get to know thos that you are going to the meetings with on a more human level.

• iceguy
    iceguy

I have been df'd a year and a half and I believe they still have a once a year picnic...I never seem to get an invite though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit