Crucifixion

by LunaFing 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Because they have to be different, and argue NIT PICKY details.

• Blasty
    Blasty

Personally I don't understand the point on either side. Cross or Stake, what does it matter? The fact of what Jesus did for us is the only thing I've found of any importance. I think it's just that people need some sort of physical symbolism to hold onto. I'd have to say one of the earlier posters are probably correct, the whole thing is just an effort to trash what someone else finds important. When in reality, if looking upon a cross makes someone appreciate what Jesus did for us, then more power to them.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

I find it telling that JWs do not accept secular reasoning on many topics. Or more specifcally there seems to be quite a bit of cherry picking for secular evidence that supports thier world view. This is the case with the means of Christ's death, the sign of the times, and the fall of Jerusalem specifically.

An organizations that may have no religious agenda can posit that Christ likely died on some type of a cross. However, these will be ignored as Christendom, apostate, and/or satanic reasoning since they are contrary to WTS dogma. Whatever. I'm sure the producers set out to disprove JWs categorically with thier program. I DVR'ed that same History Channel program since I found it fascinating.

There are some fairly exhaustive postings from a poster here on Jesus' death that you can probably find by searching here. His/her username escapes me at the time but he/she uses a avatar of some female singer.

Fun stuff.

BTW: I'm watching History Channel as I write here (and supposed to be working!) There is currently a program on about Armageddon. I guess some folks are getting worked up about the 2012 end times predictions. I'm sure this would give many a JW a mad-on for blood running in the street. Too bad they are not the only ones predicting the "End is Nigh!"

--Not Buying It

• Terry
    Terry

Here is the link to a very interesting article on THE TWO BABYLONS which was very influential to the Watchtower society president J.F.Rutherford and subsequent writers at Bethel.

First, read the two boxes below. Then, go to this link and read the debunking of Hislop's methodology here: http://www.equip.org/site/c.muI1LaMNJrE/b.2713769/k.B1E9/DC187.htm

The Two Babylons was an anti-Catholic religious pamphlet produced initially by the Scottishtheologian and Protestant PresbyterianAlexander Hislop in 1853. It was later expanded in 1858 and finally published as a book in 1919. Its central theme is its allegation that the Roman Catholic Church is a veiled continuation of the pagan religion of Babylon, the veiled paganism being the product of a millennia old conspiracy. [1] It is has been recognized by scholars as discredited and has been called a "tribute to historical inaccuracy and know-nothing religious bigotry" with "shoddy scholarship, blatant dishonesty" and a "nonsensical thesis". [2] [3]

Although scholarship has shown the picture presented by Hislop to be absurd and based on an exceedingly poor understanding of historical Babylon and its religion, his book remains popular among some fundamentalist Christians. [4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Babylons
  • donny
    donny
    Terry, each of your posts is better than the last. That bit was just awesome.

I agree. I find your posts most revealing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit