Charles Sunutko - What became of him

by donny 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Of course, as you said, none of the above text could be admited in court as proof. Perhaps I'm just an evil apostate sent by Satan, and I made this all up myself. The only way to prove it to yourself is to go down to your local KH library and look these things up in black and white. It's all there, unless they've had a clean-up (and they have btw - you have to get early editions of some of the books, as they did change the incriminating text on later printings).

• uninformed
    uninformed

solace,

its your own job to prove it either way.

the references are there.

quit being a baby and find out for yourself.

the more of your posts that I read make me have hope that you will discover we are lying to you and you get to go back to the KH and all the fine folks there.

yeah, and pull your head out too.

Brant

• snowbird
    snowbird

Solace, it really happened, though I must admit it wasn't hyped that much in the Black congregations.

In late Fall of 1974, I remember getting up early in the am to catch a bus to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Fred Franz was speaking at the University of Alabama football stadium, and everyone was beside themselves with excitement.

I'd worked hard the night before - sole breadwinner because of a sorry husband - and slept through his entire talk, but I remember it was peppered with references to 1975.

The woman who "studied" the Bible with me speculated that my daughter who was born in October 1973, would turn 2 in the New System.

It really, really happened. Believe that, even if you don't believe anything else.

Sylvia

• watson
    watson

I first started fearing Armageddon at 8 yrs old in 1966. Raised on "Paradise Lost" graphics, I had a great mental picture of what Armageddon was going to do to mankind at the end of 6,000 years of man's existence. Faith and hope and all that, had us all in a frenzy. The end of times passion lasted on into the mid eighties. We figured the dates could be off a little. It was fun though.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    It's all there, unless they've had a clean-up (and they have btw - you have to get early editions of some of the books, as they did change the incriminating text on later printings).

That's very true.

I remember a few times when the bound volumes would come out and people would quietly talk about the words that had been changed. I didn't understand the implications back then. But I do now.

-Aude.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    I didn't understand the implications back then. But I do now.

Yeah, me too. I was about 9 in 1966. And my sister was about 6. We remember all too vividly.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Solace, I take it you have seen Leolaia's incredible collage of printed "proof"?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/154733/4.ashx

You asked for eye-witnesses, and here we are in droves, telling our own personal experiences of our memories of the late 1960's and early 1970's and what was said directly from the platforms and what was studied in the publications.

I take it that you believe in Jesus Christ. Well, he was condemned by his own people. They were THERE, they saw the signs, they did not believe it. They believed only what they wanted to believe, and they crucified him.

There is nothing that anyone can say or show you that will be proof enough. You will believe what you will to believe.

Cheers, joy in seeking, and wisdom to you,
    Baba.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

You might find this audio file interesting........Here Ruth Leone talks about her experiences as a JW in the lead up to 1975.

http://catholicxjw.blogspot.com/2008/07/welcome-home-catholic-conference.html

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Charles living the good life in a Trailer Park.....nice to see he "invested" in his future.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I think some are giving Solace a hard time on this one.

We must remember what it was like when we first found this board. We were told again and again not to trust the internet and "apostate lies".

There is nothing wrong in asking for proof.

The following Solace is taken from the WT 15/3/1980, cut and pasted from the WT cd, but i have put some in bold for emphasis

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book LifeEverlasting—inFreedomoftheSonsofGod, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, TheWatchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," TheWatchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including personshavingtodowiththepublicationoftheinformation that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date

This is the closest the WT came to an apology. Notice that it admits they "published statements that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility".

Interestingly the next paragraph lays the blame at individuals, including those "having to do with the publication of the information". So rather than blame themselves they shift the blame to individuals who published the information, which in fact is what the WTBTS is, individuals who publish information.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit