Do not go gentle into that good night

by Hortensia 59 Replies latest social entertainment

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I have never read that D.H. Lawrence poem before - thanks for sharing. I'm going to read it again.

• John Doe
    John Doe

That poem is especially effective when read by a skilled reader.

Here is one of my favorite short stories.

http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=CraOpen.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=all

• John Doe
  • amicus
    amicus
    I think a tribal life, very intimate connection with and dependence upon everyone else in the tribe, might be very comforting. However, when you are used to self-determination I don't think you can go back. It's isolated but compelling.

I think the two are compatible, in fact compulsory in a well ordered society. Today we deal with extremes that benefit a few. We have difficulty envisioning something functional.

• amicus
    amicus
    when read by a skilled reader

Me, me can I read?

Actually, that was the one, perhaps the only thing I loved about my witness days. I like to read out loud, and I very often was the "designated" reader. Far more fun than sitting there pretending to be interested while bored to tears.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

John Doe - I think the link to your story has changed - what is the title/author?

I think maybe one reason I dislike being read to, or having to read aloud, could be all those damn years at the book study and watchtower study. Oh god, please, never again. I can't even stand to sit still in a class or lecture that I WANT to attend, because of the trapped feeling I had at the meetings.

• amicus
    amicus
    I think maybe one reason I dislike being read to

Yeah, but there is a groove that can be achieved by just listening. It takes focus, and good subject matter...but most of that is new to us x's.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

So read me to sleep guys......

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That poem was written by Dylan Thomas on the night his father was dying, and I think it meant not so much "do not die" necessarily, but "do not give up the struggle for life".

My favourite Dylan Thomas poem is Fern Hill.

http://www.bigeye.com/fernhill.htm

• amicus
    amicus

Shouldn't poetry be timely though?

If the meaning is so obscure that we are lost before we even begin to consider it, what's the point?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit