Do black Americans claim Obama as one of their own?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Claim him as one of their own what? Token white man? The whole issue is stupid, IMO. I don't go around claiming other white people as "one of my own" just because they are white. Thank goodness for that! I've met an awful lot of ignorant dumbass white people in my lifetime!

OMG! Is he white? Or is he black? How will America ever survive if we cannot stick a label on everything and stuff it into a neat little pigeon hole? How will the burning issues ever get solved if we cannot even solve the "problem" of what color Obama is?

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Cog

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

If you look at the voting record over 90% of blacks in the democratic primaries voted for Obama over Clinton.

• kzjw
    kzjw

Hell no! I grew up withot a father, very fair skinned, and from the black & white picture of my biological, believing he was white. I was still black during the 60's, which means I was exposed to everything any other "black" person had to deal with in terms of that day's predjudices. Only 2 years ago did I discover that my biological was actually black, just fair-skinned like me. Like Obama(we're the same age). I'm so sick of other African-Americans making a distinctions about skin color or racial mixes, If you're not "caucasion" in appearance then you are black.

Jesse on the other hand, is full of s&*%, always has been. He wasn't even on the balcony when Martin Luther was taken, yet he went on TV making false claims. I was only 10, but I remember and never forgave him. Wouldn't have voted for him if he's gotten the nomination!

Color, or lack there of, doesn't matter. Humans do!

I'm proud of Obama's story, we share a common bond. I'll proudly cast my vote for this man!

• kzjw
    kzjw

I'm a white American, but Obama is 50% Caucasian -- so I'd say that the question "Do White Americans claim Obama as one of their own?" is equally valid. If it isn't equally valid, can someone tell me why not?

That's such a great point, look how many races are trying to claim Tiger!!

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I think blacks like Obama because he is a Good Man with a Positive Outlook.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Of course we do!

Only a Black man could tell other Black men to stop whining, get their asses to work, and support their children.

He should be wrapped up and presented as a gift to every Black household!

Sylvia

• Undecided
    Undecided

In my area of NC there are getting to be more mixed couples and many whites are getting more black grandchildren. It seems there are more black men and white women getting together but also some white men with black girlfriends. My wifes nephew said he would never have another white girlfriend after being with a black woman. There are many who are mixed with American Indians in most familes here. It really doesn't matter to me, it's each individuals choice. There are many blacks who are involved in selling drugs here, I don't like the character of those blacks, but if the whites didn't buy them they wouldn't be in business. I've had several black friends and they are just humans like the rest of us. Africa doesn't give a good reputation for the black race though, I don't see why a black American would want to be called and African-American.

Ken P.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I, for one who was teased and ignored by blacks all throughout my school career and even tease about the way I talk (hint: it doesn't sound like ebonics) way after being out of school, am tried of this so-called issue. He's black and that's all there is to it.

This statement aligns well with my own observations of black culture (I'm speaking in general terms and basing my observations on having been raised in an average midwestern city with a sizable black population) and that is, black people seem to enforce cultural homogeneity among themselves more strongly than whites do. There was a piece in Time Magazine a few years ago that was written by a black man, and among other things he commented on the fact that when he tells his black friends that he likes Led Zeppelin, it's like coming out of the closet or something because they react so incredulously to it. Speaks volumes.

I think that most urban blacks react similarly to Obama because of his being so erudite and for being from a decidedly non-typical African-American background. I'm sure some would think those comments are racist or way off the mark but I don't think it's racism to point out that many blacks have deep prejudices of their own.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I was watching an interview with a black American recently about Barrack Obama. Interestlingly he said that black Americans find it hard to claim him as one of their own. He said that black people would much prefer to have someone who is from the stereotypical upbringing of a black American to be the presidential candidate. He went on that because he is mixed race and that his father was African rather than American, that he doesn't really represent black Americans.

I can see the guys line of argument but i wondered how black Americans felt about this, especially in light of Jesse Jacksons gaffe that he'd "like to cut his nuts off". I must admit i laughed hard at that one, i'm sure i could see a smurk on his face when he apologised.

But do black Americans feel that Obama represents them. I'm pretty sure that most are pleased to see this possibility of a black president, but on the other side is there a feeling of maybe resentment that he is not from the typical black family.

The African-Americans I have spoken with (at the University) are by no means representative of the entire African American community. However they all voted for Senator Obama in the California primary. When I asked why, they all responded (no hyperbole) that "he was one of them," meaning African American.

• blondie
    blondie

Did Jackson get the same percentage of the votes from the black community when he ran? I think there is more at play here than just being black.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit