Hubble Unveils a Galaxy in Living Color

by teejay 12 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

In this view of the center of the magnificent barred spiral galaxy NGC 1512, NASA Hubble Space Telescope’s broad spectral vision reveals the galaxy at all wavelengths from ultraviolet to infrared. The colors (which indicate differences in light intensity) map where newly born star clusters exist in both "dusty" and "clean" regions of the galaxy.

This color-composite image was created from seven images taken with three different Hubble cameras: the Faint Object Camera (FOC), the Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC2), and the Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrometer (NICMOS).

NGC 1512 is a barred spiral galaxy in the southern constellation of Horologium. Located 30 million light-years away, relatively "nearby" as galaxies go, it is bright enough to be seen with amateur telescopes. The galaxy spans 70,000 light-years, nearly as much as our own Milky Way galaxy...

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Isn't this a cool picture? Just think of all those stars, all those solar systems, and some with Earth like planets. They are probably full of life and there is some guy way out there posting cool pics from their space telescope on their version of the Internet, pointing at our galaxy that has the big sign over it that reads: DO NOT CROSS GALACTIC LINE: Test in Progress!

Thanks for the picture!

Skipper

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wow!What a beautiful and magnificent picture.That is so cool!Thanks teejay...OUTLAW

• AIRVIEW1
    AIRVIEW1

Nice pic,
    Here in Louisiana weve just built "LIGO" the laser interferometer Gravitationa-Wave observatory. It will link up
    with a "LIGO" in Washington State and another ligo type in Pisa,
    Italy in the near future to try and prove Einstiens theory of relativity. It detects Supernova gravity waves from outer space.
    The facility in Italy is called "VIRGO", named after the constellation. Check it out on the web.

• teejay
    teejay

Undersea corral? Enchanted castles? Space serpents? These eerie,
    dark pillar-like structures are actually columns of cool interstellar
    hydrogen gas and dust that are also incubators for new stars. The
    pillars protrude from the interior wall of a dark molecular cloud like
    stalagmites from the floor of a cavern. They are part of the "Eagle
    Nebula" (also called M16 -- the 16th object in Charles Messier's 18th
    century catalog of "fuzzy" objects that aren't comets), a nearby
    star-forming region 7,000 light-years away in the constellation
    Serpens.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, teejay,

You've taken a picture from one of my favorite sites. It's been on my list of favorites for a few years now.

For those interested, it is the Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive, and contains one picture related to astronomy for each day going back about 8 years. Many are shots taken by the Hubble space telescope. Here's the address:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

I've even got one of those pictures up on my desktop as wallpaper.

Enjoy.

LoneWolf

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Dang. Don't know why that link isn't clickable. Anyone want to enlighten me?

LoneWolf

• teejay
    teejay

* http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Thanks Tom. Actually the pics come from http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/. Cool pics both places, though. Hard to believe sometimes that the photos are real, that places as beautifual as these really exist.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I wish I had a ship to let me travel there.

ashi

• teejay
    teejay

Gravitational Lens Helps Hubble and Keck Discover Galaxy Building Block

This NASA Hubble Space Telescope image shows a very small, faint galaxy 'building block' newly discovered by a unique collaboration between ground- and space-based telescopes. Hubble and the 10-meter Keck Telescopes in Hawaii joined forces, using a galaxy cluster which acts as gravitational lens to detect what scientists believe is one of the smallest very distant objects ever found.

In the image to the right, the object is seen distorted into two nearly identical, very red 'images' by the gravitational lens. The image pair represents the magnified result of a single background object viewed at a distance of 13.4 billion light-years (based on the estimate of 14 billion years as the age of the universe). The intriguing object contains only one million stars(!!), far fewer than a mature galaxy, and scientists believe it is very young. Such young star-forming systems of low mass at early cosmic times are likely to be the objects from which present-day galaxies have formed.

In the image to the left, the full overview of the galaxy cluster Abell 2218 is seen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit